In Memoriam

I've moved the Morrison's profile here, in tribute of the full, accomplished life that Priscilla led. Looking at that happy, hopeful portrait of the two of them, it's hard to believe that her life has ended, so soon... what a poignant reminder of the preciousness of each day everyone is granted, with those we love around us.

Glenn & Priscilla's desire to parent a child together, although it was not to be, will forever be remembered as Team Abrazo continues its mission. In the nine months since they'd signed on with our agency, they'd considered about a half dozen case opportunities that they didn't find to be a good fit; we are thankful for their painstaking decision-making process, even as we regret the fact that Priscilla ultimately did not get time to make her dreams of motherhood a reality. A bright, articulate woman, she would have been such a dedicated, doting mama, with so much love to share.

As a couple, Glenn and Priscilla were uniquely matched in their love for each other and their goals in life. Our hearts go out to Glenn and to both their families, as they grieve the loss of this wife and daughter and sister who meant so much to all of them.

Dear God, thank You for freeing Priscilla from the limitations of this earthly life, and from the devastating illness which so plagued her. Please be with her loved ones left behind; grant them the certainty that she is at peace, with You, and give them strength to face the coming days without her. Be especially with Glenn, in this time of sorrow; lift him when he stumbles, and assure him that he is not alone, in this lonesome valley of mourning. Grant him peace and the courage to go on, and lead him to a brighter day. Amen

A beautiful prayer Elizabeth, one that will be spoken often as many grieve this tragic loss. Dear Glenn, I am so sorry. We are lifting you up to the arms of God so He will embrace you with comfort and peace during this impossible time.

On angel wings sweet Priscilla........

Glenn, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this heart ache and loss. May God bless you.

My Dear Friend, Melissa Kelley died on friday night. I am so sad. She took care of me for the first 10 days after my knee surgery. She told me that I am like a sister to her. I couldn't agree more.

Please pray for her Husband, Kindel. And her sons, Joey, Aaron and Mike.

Me, too-- what a class act! Paul Newman epitomized talent and grace and personal integrity. That's the end of an era, I'm afraid!

Amanda, I'm thinking of your friend's family today and hoping they're finding comfort in memories of their loved one, gone too soon.

• 2 weeks later...

This time every year is met with joy and sadness...

This memory goes to my uncle Arnold Marice. He was like a second father to me and taught me 3 life lessons...Think twice, never make the same mistake twice, and be yourself. Uncle Arnie and I have birthdays a day apart and on the following day, he passed away making it to his 98th birthday.

Unk, I wish you could be here to meet your namesake, Chloe Marica. You would love her spirit and her wisdom beyond her years!!!

Thank you for all you have done for all of us...

All my love,

Michelle

God bless Michelle's Uncle Arnie-- may he be smiling down on her from heaven, right now.

Thank you - this means so much to me. He passed away 8 years ago today...I pray that he can see us from heaven - he would love Chloe!!

• 4 weeks later...
christ77.jpg

Heaven has welcomed another angel Home, at last...

We received word today that adoptive mom Tana Heckel ended her courageous battle with cancer last night, leaving behind her beloved husband John, two dear sons adopted through Abrazo; Cody (age 13) and Ryan (age 11), and their grieving birthparents, who continued to treasure Tana's friendship over the years.

John and Tana were in The Mamas & The Papas orientation of 12/95, and The Believers orientation weekend of 9/97. (CLICK HERE to remember Tana's sweet smile; she is pictured in the bottom left corner of this orientation photo, sitting with John in the front seat of the bus that took that group downtown for graduation dinner; the Heckels also are seen in the center of this photo.)

The blog that John and Tana kept can be found here... it is truly a reflection of their unwavering faith as a couple. Here's one entry from earlier this year which those in the Abrazo community may find particularly touching:

There've been foundations that I've laid, never to see the harvest because God wasn't in it. There have been plans (fully documented no doubt) that I've made that I'll never see become reality because God wasn't in it. There's been times when God has shut the door that I was running through at full pace!

One in particular occurred some 22 years ago when John and I began trying to start a family. Well, we went through several months of trying to conceive and a couple of surgeries to help us conceive and then were told we needed to try in-vitro fertilization. So, I started the fertility drugs until one day when God spoke to me in a strong way.

He took me to His word and the story of Isaac and Ishmael. If you are not familiar with this one, it is where Abraham decided to give up on having the promised child with his wife and basically found a surrogate that birthed Ishmael. Well Ishmael was trouble - still proving to be trouble years after his death! Oh that Abraham would have waited on God's plan instead of forging ahead with his own. And so is the story of my life -- so many times I find myself "leading" God (AS IF THAT CAN BE DONE) instead of following God.

I listened and 10 years later, God brought us two birthmothers and two precious boys within two years of one another. This is almost unheard of in the adoption arena. As the boys get older we sometimes wonder why He thinks WE can parent them (parenting is by far the most difficult thing I've ever attempted - but that's another story for another day)!

And so here I am again - at a door closed (at least temporarily) by God. What will I do with it? No doubt we have had a few wrestling matches and no doubt He's touched my hip:) - but in no way will I challenge His will or His way or make a deal with Him. I want to choose Isaac and not Ishmael. I want to be open to God's work in my life and I want to submit to His Lordship over me. This is the best place to be. And so I will sit at His feet and wait for my marching orders. He has a better plan than I could ever imagine.

We ask God's loving watch over John, Cody and Ryan, and thank God for the very special woman Tana was. She accomplished much in her 45 brief years on earth, and she will be greatly missed.

There've been foundations that I've laid, never to see the harvest because God wasn't in it. There have been plans (fully documented no doubt) that I've made that I'll never see become reality because God wasn't in it. There's been times when God has shut the door that I was running through at full pace!

One in particular occurred some 22 years ago when John and I began trying to start a family. Well, we went through several months of trying to conceive and a couple of surgeries to help us conceive and then were told we needed to try in-vitro fertilization. So, I started the fertility drugs until one day when God spoke to me in a strong way.

He took me to His word and the story of Isaac and Ishmael. If you are not familiar with this one, it is where Abraham decided to give up on having the promised child with his wife and basically found a surrogate that birthed Ishmael. Well Ishmael was trouble - still proving to be trouble years after his death! Oh that Abraham would have waited on God's plan instead of forging ahead with his own. And so is the story of my life -- so many times I find myself "leading" God (AS IF THAT CAN BE DONE) instead of following God.

I listened and 10 years later, God brought us two birthmothers and two precious boys within two years of one another. This is almost unheard of in the adoption arena. As the boys get older we sometimes wonder why He thinks WE can parent them (parenting is by far the most difficult thing I've ever attempted - but that's another story for another day)!

And so here I am again - at a door closed (at least temporarily) by God. What will I do with it? No doubt we have had a few wrestling matches and no doubt He's touched my hip:) - but in no way will I challenge His will or His way or make a deal with Him. I want to choose Isaac and not Ishmael. I want to be open to God's work in my life and I want to submit to His Lordship over me. This is the best place to be. And so I will sit at His feet and wait for my marching orders. He has a better plan than I could ever imagine.

What an amazing testimony!!! God is shining down and leaving an angel for those blessed children --Cody & Ryan :)

• 2 weeks later...

rip0620071.gif

This Thanksgiving, we remember with thanks & love those within Abrazo's Family who now celebrate all holidays with the angels:

Ted... Elizabeth... Mike... Audrey... Josh... Lara... Eduardo... Heather... Moses... baby Jason... Robert... Priscilla... Tana...

Rest in peace, our dear friends. Thank you for making a difference in our world! You are never forgotten.

rip0620071.gif

This Thanksgiving, we remember with thanks & love those within Abrazo's Family who now celebrate all holidays with the angels:

Ted... Elizabeth... Mike... Audrey... Josh... Lara... Eduardo... Heather... Moses... baby Jason... Robert... Priscilla... Tana...

Rest in peace, our dear friends. Thank you for making a difference in our world! You are never forgotten.

Thanks Elizabeth! We will hug our little angel extra tight tonight.

Today, I remember Dr. Carlos Mohamed, one of the OB Physicians I have known and had to pleasure of working with in the last 10 years of my nursing career. He fought the battle against pancreatic cancer, but it was his time to go home after 60 years of life. May he always be remembered.