In Memoriam

There is a homeless guy, Danny, who hangs around campus and frequently near my studio. One of his buddies that is sometimes with him told us that Danny had been beaten so badly he is now in a coma and practically brain dead. The officers in our neighborhood confirmed this. Danny is diabetic and sometimes appears out of it because his blood sugar is so low. We give him ice water on hot days and hot tea when it's cold and new socks in the winter. He's had a rough time of it but he's a decent man. He always asks says hi and asks how I am and about Clara and tells me "God bless you and that baby girl too!" when I walk by. I've seen people (college frat guys) ask him to do tricks for money and be crude to him. I always chastize them and tell them to leave him alone. They don't know that he is allergic to peanut butter or that he has a sister who lives in Florida, nor do they care. Not even the slightest for another human being, a brother in the eyes of God. I think no one will ever know what happened to Danny and who did this to him.

Another sad story. But, another example of how homeless people do care and are kind. It's nice to see that you didn't just ignore Danny and you actually know what he was saying to you. I'm glad you informed the college frat guys that they should leave Danny alone :angry: Unfortunately, some people are cruel--some are very cruel as is obvious from Danny's current condition :(

Cathy

I've never understood how people can be so cruel. Praying for God's grace to find the hearts of so many that need him. I am sad that an adoptive family came to Texas for the joy of camp and now are facing the loss of a birthfather. We will be praying for this family and all those who loved Eduardo. Praying also for Danny!!!

I've never understood how people can be so cruel.

Me either! Makes me sick :angry: We are all human and deserve respect :(

Cathy

Eduardo was a wonderful man, he was very loving and caring man. We met Eduardo and Anna briefly but we could see the spirit that he had, he has passed on that same spirit to our daughter McKenna.

It was fate on Thursday that we were flying in for camp, we were able to go to the visitation and pay our respects for the last time. We were welcomed to Eduardo's family with open arms, most didn't even know about McKenna. We were able to hear some stories about a man that we really don't know, hopefully we will be able to hear more about Eduardo from his family in the future.

It was wonderful to spend time with Mama Anna that night, it was a very emotional time for all, but it was nice to sit and talk with her and share so things with her. She loved holding McKenna (as much as she possibly could, she's just like Mama Anna, cant sit still).

Eduardo is now in safe, may he rest in peace.

Love you Eduardo and we will take care of our little girl.

Paula and Scott

Paula,

Continued thoughts sent your way. We love you and pray for McKenna.

Love,

Claudia

Paula, Scott and McKenna,

What a blessing fate put you there at the exact moment you were needed! We are so sorry for you loss!!! Hugs to your family!!!

Bart,Dee and Payton

Just wanted to also send out condolences to Sherrie Eldridge, author of "Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Parents Knew," on the recent passing of her birthmother.

Sherrie, who was our keynote speaker at Camp Abrazo this year, passed around a photo from their reunion over a decade ago, and spoke of her sorrow that they remained estranged thereafter until her birthmom's death.

"She was a very talented woman," Sherrie proudly told us Saturday afternoon, and even then, one could hear in her words the voice of that little girl she'd once been, wishing her birthmom had welcomed her back with open arms and a ready heart.

But it was not to be, and now, their fractured relationship is final.

I am so sorry for Sherrie's loss, and even moreso for the loss her birthparents suffered in never truly getting to know what an extraordinary daughter they brought into the world. May each of the members of that adoption story find peace in the passing of time and the hope of the resurrection.

Paula, Scott & Mckenna,

I too was sorry to hear of your loss, but I know that meeting his family and hearing stories is a blessing. Having lost our son's birthfather over the Christmas Holidays, I understand how you feel. Hearing of McKenna's loss reminded me of that time for us, not to mention we had just spent some time with people who knew garen's birthfather, and heard more stories about him. I am glad you were able to make the visitation, I regret we did not make Garen's birthfather's memorial service, but the weather did not cooperate with me that day.

The Terry's

Paula, Scott, McKenna,

It truly was a pleasure to meet you this weekend. You and your family are so special. You're in our prayers.

We would like to thank everyone for their love and support. It truly is amazing, when we started our adoption process we knew some day we would add a child to our family, but we also added the Abrazo community to our family.

Thanks for your love and support!

Paula, Scott and McKenna

It was fate on Thursday that we were flying in for camp, we were able to go to the visitation and pay our respects for the last time. We were welcomed to Eduardo's family with open arms, most didn't even know about McKenna. We were able to hear some stories about a man that we really don't know, hopefully we will be able to hear more about Eduardo from his family in the future.

It was wonderful to spend time with Mama Anna that night, it was a very emotional time for all, but it was nice to sit and talk with her and share so things with her. She loved holding McKenna (as much as she possibly could, she's just like Mama Anna, cant sit still).

Eduardo is now in safe, may he rest in peace.

Love you Eduardo and we will take care of our little girl.

Paula and Scott

How ironic, but nice that you were able to attend this unfortunate event. It is nice to know you were welcomed by Eduardo's family and able to spend some time with them allowing your daughter a chance to know her birth family.

Cathy

Paula, Scott, and McKenna,

I'm so sorry to hear about Eduardo...may God grant you peace and comfort.

Susan

• 5 months later...

We were saddened to learn today of the tragic death of another of our Abrazo birthfathers, during this past year.

Moses Dominguez, who graduated from John Jay High School in 1978, had placed a newborn daughter for adoption here six years ago; he and his brothers were badly burned in a car accident in 2007, and only one of the brothers survived.

Our heartfelt sympathies to his birthdaughter Alexis; to her birthmother Mary, who lost the love of her life; to Moses' family, who suffered such huge losses this year; and to Alexis' parents, who have surely lost a treasured friend. May God be with all of them, as they go through their first Christmas without him; may they be comforted by memories of Moses' smile and the good times they were blest to share, in the time they had together.

May you all find peace

• 4 weeks later...

"All life is sacred.

Since life is an affirmation of the Creator,

I shall live on, even when I am gone.

In trailing clouds of glory shall I return to my Creator

only to find that I had never really left.

I shall walk among the lilies of the field

and leave my trail in stardust in the sky."

-- John Harricharan

Tiny angelbaby Jason Chris, born January 6, 2008, died today at 12:36 p.m., in the loving arms of the mother who'd given him birth.

He is survived by his birthparents and one big brother, age 6.

Our prayers are with each of them, as they grieve the passing of a child they'd hoped could be someone else's miracle.