Hello to all of you

Hi. My name is Sherri (otherwise known as smarkum) and I am fairly new to Abrazo and the Forum. My daughter recently placed her son in an adoption that Abrazo was a part of. She was matched with the BEST adoptive parents ever. I expected that the adoption would not touch me very much because, after all, it was an open adoption. Boy, was I ever surprised! blink.gif I was amazed at how much I cared for his new family and at how much I loved him! I did not have any knowledge about adoption before we started this process, and I still have a lot to learn.

Some future grandparents might not really understand open adoptions, and they discourage their daughters from placing their babies, even when it might really be the best option. I think that may be caused by them not being involved enough in the process or not understanding enough of what is going on with the adoption. I had to research it to find out what was going to happen, and how this whole "open" thing worked. I also found that I was a lot more comfortable with this because the adoptive parents were so open and were very willing to let us be a part of his life. I added a whole new family to MY family when Colby was born, because his parents and brothers are family to us. I think its great!

Hi Sherri,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to also let you know I met your daughter when I was in San Antonio and she sure is a special young lady! It was very touching to meet her and to see how much she has been touched by Colby and having such an important relationship with his parents.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I'm so glad to see your perspective on here and glad you've joined us on here.

-Lisa

Thanks for the welcome. We just got back Tuesday from a trip to see Colby, Angie, and the boys. It was a wonderful trip and Kristal and I had such a great time. Angie is WONDERFUL (and I don't say it because she reads the forum!)!!!! She has welcomed all of us into her family. The adoption process has been made so much easier for all of us because of Angie's willingness to communicate, and her not being closed off to us. Each time Kristal and I see her and Colby we come away more and more sure that this was the right decision to make for Colby. If she was not so open to us, we would still have many questions, so many doubts.