KATRINA AFTERMATH

marleygirl

Please keep in your thoughts and prayers all those who have lost, all those who are temporarily misplaced and those who are awaiting rescue. My boss' family evacuated from New Orleans w/ some extended family and friends. We have 22 people living between 3 houses right now. There is no end in sight. Please help us all keep our faith, and remain strong. I worry for these people are just beginning to acknowledge the reality of the situation. As it overflows into all of our lives we need grace to deal with the fact the most of us don't know WHERE to start to recover. It's a tense time, even for those that got out. No job, no home... please pray for them. They need peace and guidance.

I can echo marleygirl's request for prayer. Our town is overrun with evacuees right now -- my parents' church fed over 300 on Wednesday night, and I'm not sure how many last night. Our church is preparing lunch every day to feed the hundreds housed in our convention center -- we are scheduled for at least two weeks, maybe longer. All hotels are full, many churches' life centers are full as well. The girls' schools collected food, water, and diapers on yesterday -- today it was small games and toys for the many children who have nothing to do as they wait to see what will happen next. Our charitable medical clinic is full of out-of-town patients -- George and I will be making runs all next week to doctors' offices to pick up samples for the people who need meds -- my mom is there today stocking shelves with meds that already have arrived in large trash bags. There are so many needs it is almost overwhelming ... and we live 400-plus miles from the storm's center. I can only imagine what it must be like farther south.

I just read a Consumer Alert to advise everyone to use caution when making monetary donations for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Please make your donation directly to a reputable national agency, such as the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, your local church's relief fund, etc.

Please use caution when responding to telephone solicitations. Most of those telephone solicitators take a "cut"....in other words, a portion of any donation you pledge thru a telephone solicitation goes to pay the salary of those making the calls!!!!

Pass up those folks standing on the corner or intersections with buckets marked for "Hurricane Katrina." You just don't know if they're legitimate. About a year or so ago, the ABC show 20/20 showed some people collecting "For the Homeless," and after the buckets were full, they pocketed the money and moved on to another location. Sad to say, but the same thing could happen now.

It is a shame to say, but there will be people trying to "make a buck" from this tragedy. Just be aware.

Give from the heart, but give wisely. That's all I wanted to say!

Hello Everyone!!

Our thoughts and prayers go to everyone affected by Hurricane Katrina. I work for an organization who is missing some of it's "family" and we are tremendously worried. I had to compose myself as I was arranging to get aid to some of our "family members" in the form of arranging payment for diapers and formula as well as water, food, etc. The thought of hungry babies overwhelms me...I wish I were closer to help!! I am very proud to work for the company I do though...they are doing the RIGHT thing to help people affected by this tragedy!!

I also have to say "THANK YOU TEXAS!" for helping in the big Texas way!! Texas only knows how to do things BIG -and right now you are!!

God Bless!! I am offering monetary assistance but Abrazo, you are close enough to know if there are other things that we can do as an Abrazo community to help!!

Marleygirl, You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Edited by Paul and Michelle

Thank you. As I try and sleep tonight I am in tears. Lord, forgive me because I am selfish. I want my tiny home which is now occupied by 7 people to be peaceful again. Lord, forgive me for I have a two bedroom cottage which was never meant for 10 people. Lord forgive me for wanting more for these people immedietly than what is possible. I am a troubled soul..... God, make me stronger than those obstacles that come before me and my dear friends. Please do not let them sense my discomfort. I want nothing but the best for them and for them to be embraced in your loving arms. Please pray not only for us .. but for all.

Dear Marleygirl,

I pray that God will bestow his peace on you and your friends and family. Just today, I was feeling very selfish. Here I am in my comfortable home with my family when so many are lost. One of my girlfriends who is also a nurse called me and told me she was headed to Houston to help those affected by the hurricane that are staying at the Astrodome. I felt so bad because I was not with her. She called me when she was already in route and all I could think was I should be with her. You are doing what you can to help. Don't feel ashamed to feel as you do. You are human. Take Care and God Bless. If you need to vent, we are here for you.

Claudia

As some of you may have known, my husband was stationed at Keesler Air Force Base at Biloxi, MS when Hurricane Katrina hit. The three of us sheltered on base for five days. I just wanted to let you know that God is listening to your prayers...we can feel your prayers! We are all safe and back in Texas with our parents for awhile. Our prayers also go out to those who have been through this or have loved ones who have.

We can't close our eyes to all of this:

My friend returned from the Houston area today. She said what she saw was unimaginable. She stated that there are so, so many needs to be considered. She noted that majority are Blacks of low socioeconomic level. Her concern was that there are so many communicable diseases being transmitted. She said that she saw very poor organization and that they desperately needed more structure. None of these people have been accounted for by name etc. She is afraid there will be an outbreak of all kinds of disease. She said that women and children were being raped at night and in the bathroom. As we can see, everyone is being affected by this crisis. We all have to find a way to do our part in this. Even though, this emergency occured out of Texas, every state will be affected. The evacuees are just trying to find a safe haven.

Claudia

Marleygirl and mom2be,

You are in my prayers.

Our church has begun housing evacuees. Today I talked with a precious 75 year old woman who has lived in New Orleans her entire life. She lost her home of 52 years--the place where she raised her three children--her furnishings, her cars, and all of her belongings except the clothes on her back and two additional outfits. She and her husband survived as well as her children and grandchildren. They are grateful to be alive but devastated by the loss. All I could do was listen to her story and pray with her. Their lives will never be the same, but I pray the Lord will restore to them 10-fold what they lost as he did with Job in the Bible.

Watching the horror unfold has been terrible. I can not begin to imagine the devestation those affected by Katrina have endured.

My prayers are with all of those that were caught in Katrina's path and all of those trying to help the victims. God bless you all.

Elaine

p.s. I second the advise to donate through a reputable agency. A girl I went to high school with (here in TN.) decided that she and her loser husband would take advantage of this situation. They had a car wreck (I do not know whether or not on purpose) and when folks around stopped to help them they said they were victims that had fled the hurricane (although they live around the block from me). Unknowingly playing into their little scam the generous helpers and onlookers started giving this crooked couple money!

This heartless couple were arrested (thank God). I can not imagine so many people trying to benefit from others suffering.

When I first heard about this hometown scam I was very angry. I was afraid that others might not give at all out of fear that their money too was being misused or misdirected.

Hopefully, those that want to give will check out different reputable agencies and then give to one that they feel most comfortable with.

Ann,

I just wanted you to know that I have been trying to get ahold of you by telephone. I will keep trying. In the meantime, you are all in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything that you need or anything that we can do for you.

Bobbi

I just read a Consumer Alert to advise everyone to use caution when making monetary donations for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.  Please make your donation directly to a reputable national agency, such as the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, your local church's relief fund, etc.

Please use caution when responding to telephone solicitations.  Most of those telephone solicitators take a "cut"....in other words, a portion of any donation you pledge thru a telephone solicitation goes to pay the salary of those making the calls!!!!

Pass up those folks standing on the corner or intersections with buckets marked for "Hurricane Katrina."  You just don't know if they're legitimate.  About a year or so ago, the  ABC show 20/20 showed some people collecting "For the Homeless," and after the buckets were full, they pocketed the money and moved on to another location.  Sad to say, but the same thing could happen now.

It is a shame to say, but there will be people trying to "make a buck" from this tragedy.  Just be aware. 

Give from the heart, but give wisely.  That's all I wanted to say!

19445[/snapback]

I second the advice to donate through a reputable agency.  A girl I went to high school with (here in TN.) decided that she and her loser husband would take advantage of this situation.  They had a car wreck (I do not know whether or not on purpose) and when folks around stopped to help them they said they were victims that had fled the hurricane (although they live around the block from me).  Unknowingly playing into their little scam the generous helpers and onlookers started giving this crooked couple money!

19564[/snapback]

I can't agree more. I just finished reading an article here about the state of Missouri filing suit against InternetDonations.org, a site owned by an infamous antisemitic neo-Nazi who has set up several sites in the past few days in a seeming attempt to intercept well-intentioned donations for Katrina relief. There's got to be a special place in cheese pizza for folks like this...

I've added a bright red banner on the main forum page that links to various relief and information resources provided by The New York Times. Any of the links on that page should be completely trustworthy.

Thank you all for your concern.