Profiles: Presenting... YOU!

Guest WAITINGFORABABY

Absolutely, Ellen! I always look forward to reading your posts and responses here on the forum because I know you will be honest and I will gain insight into the BP point of view. And everyone on that BP panel that day had such amazing and widely varied stories and everyone shared such a part of their hearts with us that day that I felt like I knew you. (Whatever happened to Frank?) it's funny how we sometimes may not realize the impact we have on people. I'm glad you and Mari are still a part of the forum so that you can know how much of an impact you made simply by sharing your story with a bunch of newbies still not sure how this whole "open adoption" thing would work. Thank you a million times over for that.

Recently Collin pulled our 2nd profile off the shelf and asked to read it. It was really neat going through it 4 years later with 4 years of getting to know Parker's family behind us now. I saw the profile in a totally different perspective. I put pictures of our cars in that profile because Ben loves cars and had sold his sports car after Collin came home. Well in the picture with my van I am wearing a superman shirt. Parker's uncle Kyle (side they are all ours in every way uncles aunts grandmas etc just making it clearer who is who in my story) anyway uncle Kyle is obsessed with super heroes. I made a comment that driving my van is like driving the bat mobile. Soooo fun to see tiny details that really spoke to their family that seemed like space fillers to me as I was putting it together. (We had 26 pages to fill for that Washington state agency.)

That superman gets Lauranda's attention where ever we go, it's like she has a radar for him/emblem..

Isn't it amazing the different and sometimes things that seem so small are what capture someone's eye and HEART.. For my girl it was a large stuffed lion in the nursery, she's a Leo and loves lions..

I like to think of all these as God's way of bring families together.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Missy-

We used a scrapbooking software program for Macs and I have to tell you it was a little difficult to use- I am pretty sure it was called iScrapbook. I know that Melissa Giarrosso used PowerPoint (which is very easy to use) to create theirs and although I didn't see the first one, the second one was great! There are tons of programs out there, but I would use something that you are familiar with (like PowerPoint, Publisher or even Word, etc.) rather than going out and finding a new software program that you have to learn how to use. I am sure that you have enough going on right now without adding any additional frustration or stress to your life! Good luck with getting your profile finished!

So happy to hear about Jen and Jesse getting a call!

I need to learn to maneuver through the website more as I hear some of our profiles are already up. I'll try to look today to see if I can find them. Glad to see all the Birthday posts!

Nannette

Edited by Rob and Nannette Hyland

I just used a template from Microsoft Word. They have a scrapbook template. It was a bit difficult to figure out at first but it really saved money and time overall. Last time around I paid my friend to design it in InDesign because I don't have that software.

The first time around I used a software program called Scrapbook Factory. There was a bit of a learning curve but it worked out. I had issues with it the second time so I ended up just using Photoshop Elements and I really likes that better. It gave me a ton more flexibility but it also has a learning curve so I wouldn't recommend it if you've never used it before. Teri has the right idea - use something you are familiar with and it will likely be a lot less stressful.

• 1 month later...

When you finish your rough draft of your profile, why not read it aloud to your spouse, and have them listen like a frightened, prospective birthmom who's been warned already about people who are in this just to get her baby and probably won't bother to keep in touch afterwards?

Does the text of your profile alleviate such fears? Does your letter suggest ways in which you hope your future child's birthparent/s can enjoy an ongoing connection with you and your child over the years?

Does your profile reflect an authentic interest in the reader? (Or does it read like it's just "all about you"?)

Do phrases like "we promise to provide your child with a wonderful life" and "your child will always know how you loved them" feed into the warnings that every prospective birthmom hears from those who don't trust the options she's contemplating?

Adoption expert Jim Gritter prefers to refer to "open adoption" as "hospitious adoption" (see http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED504496.pdf). Obviously, being hospitious means welcoming others in, and implementing "the practices of goodwill, respect and courage to create a smooth relationship process that enriches children’s lives."

Is your profile an invitation that encourages a prospective mother to join your life in a meaningful and ongoing way?

Or does it sound more like a couple who prefers that she just drops her baby off and goes away?

(Which option will mean most to your child someday?)

• Upvote 1