Profiles: Presenting... YOU!

Guest WAITINGFORABABY

Thanks for the responses...I was also wondering...do we HAVE to write it or can we type our profile input? I just feel like we have so much to say and have so many pictures that we could "squeeze it all in" if it was typed. I know that it will look really formal though...AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

Thanks for the responses...I was also wondering...do we HAVE to write it or can we type our profile input? I just feel like we have so much to say and have so many pictures that we could "squeeze it all in" if it was typed. I know that it will look really formal though...AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!

I typed ours.

I used WORD. Typed the paragraphs, cut them apart & mounted them on color paper so they stood out & went w/ each section.

Make sense.......clear as mud right??

:lol::D:lol:

formal...well, yeah it will look formal, but pick a font that isn't so formal...I forget which I used, stick w/ the same one all the through your profile & the same size font as well.

Just things I've learned through the years & looking at many different profiles.....I almost did these for people as a business 4 years ago....but it such a personal thing & thoughts that go into them that I just couldn't 'do' someone's profile for them....hope that it helpful :)

Edited by dbugsma

I typed ours.

I used WORD. Typed the paragraphs, cut them apart & mounted them on color paper so they stood out & went w/ each section.

Make sense.......clear as mud right??

:lol::D:lol:

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHH...interesting. I would LOVE to type it :) Thanks!

Ok so, we got an email asking us to send our profile in ASAP. I was sorta looking forward to orientation to brainstorm on that one. I have found a little bit of info on the forum, but none that really put me at ease...any suggestions? Rich and I are going to work on it this weekend. Thanks :)

Kristin,

That is good news! The advice I remember from orientation is to use lots of photos of you and your spouse doing the things you enjoy and having fun. Don't use photos with lots of kids to show how much you love kids because in looking through profiles, the expectant parents may assume you already have kids. Use photos that show your face, no sunglasses. You can show some of extended family, house, and pets...but mostly just keep it to the two of you. If you've done your nursery, include a photo.

Have fun!

Susan

We typed ours! You can sign your name or write cutlines for your photos if you want to add some handwritten parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Stumbled across some posts in an Orientation Group thread about profiles and thought I'd copy them here - there's a new group coming through Orientation soon so I bet this will be a hot topic on here over the next couple of weeks :)

-Lisa

My husband and I will be attending the upcoming orientation in September. I have noticed a few comments about the profiles and not much time in getting those done. Should I go ahead and get ours done before hand?? Just want everything to be taken care of without me going into a state of panic when we get home! I know we won't have long to return the packet....10 days, right? Also, any advice from those who are pros at this???

18975[/snapback]

The whole process was done in reverse order for my husband and I so "panic" should be the least of your worries. :lol: We spoke to our birthmother and were matched before attending orientation. We actually met face to face the weekend of orientation. She didn't see a profile until after the fact. But we were definitely not the norm.

Go ahead and put some ideas on paper and pick out some photos...but don't finish anything...the Abrazo gals will spend some time with you during orientation looking at your photos and giving you ideas of what to do or NOT to do. They will also have a lot of examples for you to look at. So come with some ideas but wait until after orientation to finish it.

Best wishes for your new journey.

Andrea

Congratulations on attending the next orientation. Your life will be forever changed!!! As for the profiles, do not panic. You will have time to get everything done once you get back. I would recommend collecting a few good clear pictures of you and your husband, your family, your home, and maybe some vacation/hobbies pictures. If you are anything like me I went with a stack of pictures and probably did not use more than a quarter of them. You can pick out some paper prior to attending but remember that is should be the 8X11 size. I would recommend choosing some paper that represent your family and that it bright or at least stands out. My background paper was a red wine color. I really liked it and I was able to find paper that went well with as well as embleshments.

I would hold off to putting anything down on paper because the girls at Abrazo will help you during your weekend. Also they have several notebooks of profiles that you can look out during your breaks that may give you some awesome ideas.

Relax and enjoy yourself!!! You have the ticket in your hand you are about to get on the roller coaster, so sit back and enjoy the ride!!!!

Hey Good Buddies!

I know everyone has had a busy week! I am still trying to get our profile finished up!

On the profiles-do we need to make the copies single sided or front and back?

Betsy

Matthew and Betsy,

Front and Back :) would be great!!!

Holly

Hi there...this is alison - Do we send the actual original profile to abrazo or photocopies...alison

Need to send in an original profile and 10 color copies.

• 2 weeks later...

I scanned through here and didn't find anything for our situation. Most of you know that we have Arianna, and have had her for six weeks now. I spoke with her birthmother for the first time almost two weeks ago. She is wanting the profile ASAP, and I think I have some of the components down, but what about the dear birthmother letter? Should I write it to her specifically? She knows that we have not done one before as we didn't get that far in the process. Gathering pics was all we had done.

What about other things? Should I address it as we know what is going on? Should I keep it more generic?

If some birthmommys could give me a clue as to what they think would be appropriate. I want to honor Arianna and her birthmother. I don't want to offend her birthmother, either. Is it as fine of a line as it feels?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm not a birthmama, but I've known a few in my day, so I'd suggest that you tailor your profile specifically to Arianna's birthmom (I think if I were her, I'd be flattered to think you went to all the trouble of putting something beautiful together, just for me.) Make it a colorful, joyful visual tour of your lives. Handwrite the "cover letter" (which need not be on the cover, of course) if your writing is legible, or pick a friendly, "personalized" font. Read the finished letter aloud and if it doesn't "flow" like a conversation between good friends, start over.

Focus on "Arianna's house" and "Arianna's room" and "Ariana's puppy" or "Ariana's swingset," etc. (this may help her celebrate her child's gains, rather than feeling badly about all these things she wasn't able to provide.) Avoid stickers if you can find cute scrapbooking add-ons, instead. Add swatches of nursery wallpaper border, or a sample of her crib blanket; tactile add-ons can make it seem more "real." Assure the birthmom of all the good things you want Ariana to learn about her birthfamily, as she grows up, and if there's room for more direct contact in the future, know it might mean alot to a skeptical mother to see this in writing (but of course, don't ever make any promises you don't intend to keep.) Add captions to photos that show groups of people she won't know, so that it's clear who those people are and what their relevance is (or will be) in the life of her child.

Then, when you think you're just about done with the profile, make sure both you and Dale sign it, and each read it over, thinking "if I were a parent who just lost his/her child, how would this make me feel?" No one could ever put together a profile capable of healing all the pain, but if you put your heart and soul into it, you can surely convey the loving, caring people that you are and in doing so, offer some comfort and assurance that if her daughter cannot be with her, then she's surely in the next best place! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've only sent in an inquiry application I'm already looking into creating a profile. I've been online looking into the latest "digital scrabooking" craze. Does anyone know about digital scrapbooking and IF it would be a good way to create our profile?

Jen

Edited by jenmcd

Although I've only sent in an inquiry application I'm already looking into creating a profile. I've been online looking into the latest "digital scrabooking" craze. Does anyone know about digital scrapbooking and IF it would be a good way to create our profile?

Jen

Jen, we used Microsoft Publisher to create our profile, and it worked great! It makes it really easy to make copies and change things as needed. I think you should go for it!!

Lindsey

I'm not a scissors-and-glue type of person (even as a kid I wasn't much into arts and crafts) so I was thrilled when I heard that there were computer programs out there that could help with the profile. I got a copy of "Scrapbook MAX" for free off of the internet and played around with it for a few weeks. I found it incredibly easy to use, and ended up buying the full version after I knew I was happy with it. (The trial version stamps some text across the bottom when you go to print it out, which is clearly not going to cut it for your final profile!).

One thing that Renee said at orientation was that the digital programs often look prepackaged-- not unique or original. We got around that by using a blank template instead of one of the pre-set templates that they offer. That way you can choose your own background (you can download all sorts of backgrounds for very cheap), place your pictures and text where you want it, and really make it unique.

Happy to send you a copy of our original profile (though we actually are on a "pause" from the adoption process right now, so it never became an official profile). It can at least show you what is possible with the digital programs out there. PM me with your email address if you want to see it.

• 1 month later...

OK...so the profile is 3 actual pieces of 8x11 paper done front and back???? Does the letter to the bio mom go on the first page and is that to be part of the profile or is it a separate letter on it's own paper and then has the profile of 3 more pages with it? Sorry if that question is confusing! :blink::blink::blink:

Our profile was 3 pages, front and back on the letter size paper. I believe our birth parent letter went on the front. We then had a page about each one of us, our daughter and stuff about us as a family.

We split up the letter according to what topic was on the page and then we captioned the pictures. Good luck it will be nice when its done.

For ours and the ones that the Abrazo ladies sent us as examples, the letter began on page one and was continued throughout all six pages and signed by you on the last page. Each page just had a paragraph or two on it with pictures on the page as well. I hope that helps although it will all make sense when you actually see one or two either in your orientation papers that Abrazo mails you or at orientation.

Good Luck!

Jessica

Thanks for all the tips. Once we see some at Orientation I'm sure it will be more visually explained. I am just trying to get some ideas and photos together to take next week and wasn't quite sure of the format.

Thanks Again,

Jenny

For ours and the ones that the Abrazo ladies sent us as examples, the letter began on page one and was continued throughout all six pages and signed by you on the last page. Each page just had a paragraph or two on it with pictures on the page as well. I hope that helps although it will all make sense when you actually see one or two either in your orientation papers that Abrazo mails you or at orientation.

Good Luck!

Jessica

I just have to say you guys are all doing such a great job about being so prepared going into orientation weekend!! A lot of homestudies done, profiles being worked on....man, you guys are on fire!!!

I think maybe out of our group the Coopers might have had their profile more in the work mode than any of the rest of us!

Keep up the good work!

• 4 months later...

For newcomers: a helpful article on Picking Photos for Your Profile.

See also: How To Write a Really Great Profile.

With all due thanks to the ladies who authored these articles, we would NOT suggest that you hire a professional profiler to create your profile for you. We've seen the work many of these folks do (including some very slick and costly profiles produced for a certain agency in Fort Worth), but none of them, no matter how expensive, have the heartfelt, down-home feel of a do-it-yourself profile, written and pasted together by the hands of good people who long to become parents for all the right reasons. ;)

For newcomers: a helpful article on Picking Photos for Your Profile.

See also: How To Write a Really Great Profile.

Thank you for the links, Elizabeth. We have been working on our draft this weekend :)

Cathy

Cathy, I'm with you! We have three golden retrievers and one cat. So we're definitely in the 'got both' camp!

Elizabeth, thanks for those great links. I am in the middle of doing the first draft of my profile so your info is much appreciated.

Funny that I've seen a couple different schools of thought on the wedding pic issue. Our home study agency says to put one or two in the profile because many birthparents are looking for an all-american family and wedding pics are a natural part of that package. Then another friend who recently adopted was told by her agency to not put in any wedding pics because oftentimes the birth mother isn't married and it makes her sad to see what she doesn't have. (Not my opinion there, just what my friend's agency told her!)

But then I could definitely see the point of not putting in wedding pics if they look outdated. Those puffy sleeves and headbands are, um, interesting! My wedding pics are four years old and they don't look dated - yet! So I'm debating whether or not to include one...

We had one small wedding photo on the page just profiling the two of us a couple. I tried to make that page show all the different aspects of us. I don't think it hurts or hinders you as long as the whole page isn't wedding oriented. :P Good luck with those profiles, try and have fun with them that way all those birthparents will see who you truely are!!

Cathy, I'm with you! We have three golden retrievers and one cat. So we're definitely in the 'got both' camp!

Gotta love the Golden's. Our Golden, Siena, has been a faithful pet and will be a great friend to our child I'm sure. We included a picture of her in the profile (maybe this one below) to let any birthparent know that we are a pet friendly family.

Siena.jpg

There is a Dog/Cat thread on the forum HERE if you care to share info on your pets.

But then I could definitely see the point of not putting in wedding pics if they look outdated.

Our wedding pics were nearly 10 years old so we left ours out. Space was at a premium on the 6 pages of our profile and that one didn't make the cut. Plenty of other pictures of just the 2 of us and pics with family to show our family relationships.

It's an individual choice. Good luck :)

-Adam

kygirl, I had to chuckle at the advice you were given... every agency has their own take on what should or should not go into a profile, but applying that perspective, one might think you should exclude any photos of the wedding, your spouse, your house, your pets and your car, since many prospective birthmoms out there have none of the above?! ;)

All in all, the goal is to create a "glimpse" of your lives; a visual impression of the kind of people you are, and the sort of home you have to offer a child.

If good matching is the goal, then it stands to reason that you will reap what you sow, so ultimately, you want your profile to draw the kind of folks you will truly "fit" with, over time. For example: profiles with a strong religious emphasis often attract those who are spiritually-inclined. Profiles that are focussed on folks' material wealth often appeal to those with materialistic motives. Profiles that disclose less personal detail often seem to draw those who are themselves more secretive. (Etcetera, etc.)

If your wedding photos are important to you, include one (but do so knowing that outdated attire makes you look older, while very recent wedding styles may give the impression your marriage is less "seasoned.") A few more random pointers:

*Always include a house photo, preferably one taken on a sunny day.

*Avoid numerous photos of unnamed relatives; despite how important all these people are to you, to others, they're just lots of strangers using up space that could be showing off more of you.

*Opt for interesting photos with "energy"; too many posed pictures or "couch potato" shots send the message that you are sedentary people who don't "do things" and may not have energy for small kids.

*And for againers, remember: no matter how darling your child/ren is/are, you need to always have as many or more photos featuring you and your spouse as you do of your kid/s.

Finally, if a picture's worth a thousand words, then keep your text brief but worth reading! and don't forget to sign your names at the end if it's in letter form-- because what personal correspondence ends with no signature? ;)

Adam, your Siena is gorgeous! (now, how do you post pics in your reply???) Goldens are the most wonderful creatures. our three boys are so much fun.

Elizabeth, thanks again for the advice. Very good point about the rest of the things that a birthparent might not have! I, too, thought that agency's comment was really odd. heck, I've been going through infertility treatments for more than three years, but I enjoy seeing photos of other people's kids, despite not having one myself!

I think I need to revise those pages I've been working on. But that's okay - it's lots of fun to fiddle with our photos and rework the text.