The Welcome Wagon!

Zinnia

Hello Claudia,

Well I am 24 yrs old and have three kids, and one I place in 1999 with Abrazo. I am a LPN at a local nursing home and have been for 2 years! I love my job and the weird thing is that when I was in school I always said I would never work in a nursing home but now I couldn't see my self doing anything else but caring for the elderly.

I began having children when I was 16 and by the time I was 19 I had already had four children and my tubes tied. My third child I place due to the fact that at the time I was not able to care for anymore children and abortion wasn't something that I would ever do. And I believe that the child I placed was meant for the people that adopted him. They are such a perfect fit. Oddly enough he even looks as though he was their own flesh and blood. It is so neat. The cool about it is that I care about the adoptive parents like they were my family and that makes thing great for me. I know that the child we share is being well taken care of and that means so much to me. But of course it does to most everyone.

When I chose the family for my child I knew that they were the ones before I ever even spoke to them, like it was meant to be. I talk with one other family before them but I had my mind made up from the very begining after reading their profile the very first time.

I am not sure how this will sound to everyone but when I gave birth to my child that I placed and had both parents in the room watching their first child be born and then getting to see him for the first time I was to over joyed just seeing how happy I just made two stangers that I felt no loss or pain durning that time of placement. It was a gift I was able to give them that know one else could it was such an amazing feeling. Of course at some point I felt a little sad but that is just natural. But I still remember the look on their face when he was born and when I made sure that the father was going to watch his child be born, thats what makes it so easy for me I suppose. I have such a kind heart and I love to make people happy. And don't think that there is anything that I could do that could bring that much joy to someones life. Adoption is such a wonderful joy in lives of many. I think another reason that my placing wasn't so hard was the fact that my mother was adopted and she never had a regret or bad feeling towards her birthmother. She loved her life and her mother and when she finally met her birthmother it was a good time. She completely understood the reasons why and my mother told me she never had feelings of not being wanted cause she had two very loving parents that wanted her very much.

Well I think if I don't quit now I will just keep going on and on and on. I hope that I made sense! LOL!

Karly

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Tim & Amy in Va. We are in our mid-30's We are in the process of completing our application to send into Abrazo for their domestic adoption prgram. We have one DD through the miracle of adoption. DD's adoption was a rough road & trying at times as her birthfather contested the adoption. But through the grace of God & the strenght of her birthmother's unconditional love she stayed w/us. We survived an 11 month legal ordeal before we knew if she would be 'ours'. But prior to that we had a fall through were the birthparents changed their minds ~24 hours after the birth. Looking back there were lots of things that just were not right about that first situation, but we wanted to have a baby so bad that we put our hearts out on the line for that adoption.

DD is now 5 & ALL girl. She loves Polly pockets, dress up, dance, preschool, hanging w/ Grammy or her other grandparents. She starts kindergarten in the fall. Where has the time gone?! blink.gifhuh.gifunsure.gif

What do I do: I am a registared nurse working in the outpatient surgery department of our local hospital. I work between 28 & 32 hours a week w/ varying hours of 6 am to 11 pm (yes, I work anything in bewteen there). My department is one of the busiest & last year we had over 15000 patients come through our doors.

What do I like to do: exercise (when I can), do things w/ DD, scrapbook, read, hang out w/ friends from church/work& family

DH is a production worker at a local plant. He works swing shift which can be a challenge at times but we have always lived working around our schedules. Dh likes to bowl & is active at our church. He does so much to help w/ DD on his days off & things around the house.

Why Abrazo? We have primary IF. For 5 years before DD, we did all sorts of IF treatments from low tech to high tech w/o any sort of success. Ends up that our cause of IF stems from my ruptured appendix at age 13. I eventually had to have a hysterectomy due to pelvic pain.

For DD's adoption we used a faciliator which was fine, but this time we know more & want the birthparents to have counseling & more of a personal touch. Not to mention VA has very OLD adoption laws & we would rather work with an child placing agency where the adoption laws are a little better this time around.

Why Texas? Well, I have roots in Texas. My parents are from Texas. I have tons of relatives there & we figure this is as close to living there as we'll ever get, tongue.gif . DH is an only child, too.

So that is us in a nut shell! We are planning to attend the May orientation session if the invitation is extended from Abrazo.

Have a great weekend from snowy VA! wink.gif

Edited by dbugsma

Well, I am a 28 year old third grade school teacher. I have been teaching school for 5 years now. I enjoy lots of different activities. Growing up my favorite thing to do in warm weather was to go swimming. My parents had a fishing boat and a ski boat...so needless to say we were constantly at the lake. I have so many good memories of eating cheese puffs with "water wrinkled" little mitts, fresh air blowing through my hair, and feeling happy to be alive and in the moment! As a teenager I life guarded and taught swim lessons at the local pool. When I was in college I took a scuba diving class and am now a certified PADI diver. I am also an artistic south paw. I enjoy painting with oils, photography, and playing with my cats, Rose and Vivi.

Mickey (my hubby) is a 32 year old fifth grade school teacher. He loves history, theology, and philosophy. Our house is full of books on ever topic. That is his passion...reading. I have a funny story to share about the extent of his book collection. Once Mickey and I were at Opry Mills Mall in Nashville. For those of you not familiar with the Nashville area, Opry Mills is a HUGE outlet mall that was built on the sight of the former Opryland Amusement Park. Anyhow, they have a ton of stores in this mall. Mickey went to Barnes and Noble and bought a book on...drum roll, please... "How To Fold Napkins".......... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif . YES, I am very serious!!!! He bought a hardback book on "How To Fold Napkins"!!! I couldn't make up something that bizarre if I tried. When I asked him why a "how to book on napkin folding" he was like,"Well, we don't have a book like that! I have always wondered how they fold napkins in such fancy ways...". blink.gif This book is probably used by people that arrange fancy dinner parties at the Biltmore estate or the White House or something like that. So we went into a Men's store afterwards and the clerk saw Mickey had a book with him. She was trying to strike up a conversation and make a sale. So the lady asked Mickey what kind of book he had bought. He quickly and quite proudly announced that it was a "How To Fold Napkins" book. The clerk started laughing hysterically like Mickey was such a jokester...and then she realized he was serious!!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif She started stammering and such. It was hilarious!!! By this point I was howling and Mickey was pouting. I am sorry. I love to laugh, and he was just asking for it!!! After she realized that he really had bought a book on folding napkins...I think she thought he was gay. Well, that was funny to me too! tongue.gif When I get to laughing like I did that day Mickey just tries to whisk me away! We ended up going home after that big fiasco! HA HA HA. I still find it funny! Well, I said all of that to prove that our book collection is extensive and somewhat amusing! Mickey also likes to lift weights, jog, watch movies, play video games, and dote on Rose and Vivi (our cats).

We enjoy lots of time together too. Monday night is always our "date night". We don't answer the phone or make plans with other couples on that night. It is just reserved for the two of us! smile.gif Do I hear "Let's Get It On" playing in the background.....just kidding!!! tongue.gif

Several of our friends live around Nashville so we stay pretty busy. I can say that in the 4.5 years that we have been married we have had so much fun together. Lots of time spent with friends and family and plenty of alone time too. I look forward to sharing our lives with our child.

Elaine

Elaine,

You are one of a kind. I truly enjoyed reading your story. Thank you... and thank you for being so easy to get to know. I appreciate that. I hope this is just the beginning of a long and lasting unbreakable friendship for us. Say hi to Mickey. Marcelo and I wish you the best life offers!

Claudia smile.gif

Hi, all we are new to the adoption process and was hoping you would have some insight on the process and what to expect. I mailed our initial inquiry form yesterday. How long does it take to hear from Abrazo? We have been working with an agency here in NC where we live but have become very dissatisfied with them. In 6 months they haven't even show our profile once which is upsetting. They have told us that because we are military it could take much longer. If anyone here is military or knows someone who has adopted thats military, I would love to hear from you.

Hi, Michelle and Mike,

I'm sorry to hear about your other adoption agency. I will say that Abrazo is different than that. If you have proven infertility, you will probably hear from them in short order. We sent in our profile and heard from them within a week about the next orientation. We went to orientation weekend, and in 3 months our daughter was born. Our second time adopting with Abrazo took 2 1/2 months. If you don't have your nursery done by the time you go to orientation weekend, you will be doing it as soon as you get home from that weekend, and working on your home study. It is fast and furious once you get back.

Michelle and Mike,

Congratulations on sending your inquiry in. We sent ours in and heard from Abrazo 2 days later. They are awesome. We attended March 2005 orientation and had a great time. Welcome.

Claudia

Congratulations Michelle and Mike on taking the first very important step to becoming parents. You will be amazed and delighted with the efficiency and speed with which Abrazo works. The military status should not affect you at all unless particular birthmothers have a bias or negative regarding that lifestyle. To some, it could be a plus due to the travel advantages and cultural exposure a military family has.

Encouraging words: I never dreamed I could actually be a mom after ten years of trying to conceive with my husband, two disrupted adoption plans with another agency and then finally, my decision to become single again. But low and behold, I called Abrazo because a friend had adopted through them and said they did work with singles. I called in June, sent in my inquiry shortly thereafter, had my application in by the end of July, my son was born Sept. 9, 2002 and was in my arms and home on October 2, 2002. Hard to believe, I know. But like others have said, Abrazo is NOT like other agencies. They are literally angels on Earth. So, I would suggest that if you're anxious, call and talk to either Angela or Elizabeth and I'll bet they will ease your mind and get you totally excited about the reality of the fact that with Abrazo it's not if, but when.........

I'm so glad you posted and hope that you will continue to do so. We've all been parents in waiting at some point and some of us still are.

Welcome to the Abrazo Forum. We're glad you're here.

Jean

We had the same fears you have about being a military couple, Michelle & Mike. My husband is in the Air Force and we were afraid that birthparents wouldn't take interest in us once they knew this.

Some birthparents may not choose you because of that, some may think it's a great opportunity to place their child with a military couple, some may not mind either way. Your child will find you!

We attended the August 2004 orientation and our son was placed in our home three weeks later! I get excited when I hear of people getting ready to attend Abrazo's orientation--it's an inspiring and informative weekend. And it's the point of a new beginning. Best of luck on your new adventure!

Hello Michelle & Mike,

I hope this is not too premature, but, WELCOME TO ABRAZO!! Let me tell you a bit of our story....

In April 2001, my husband and I contacted Abrazo for adoption. We knew of the agency because a "new friend" (at that time) was in the process of adopting from Abrazo. A couple of days after contacting them, we had the initial form. It only took about a week after the application was sent in when they called us. We went to orientation in November 2001 - one of the greatest weekends of my life! We met some really great people and still keep in touch with most of them. Well worth the trip and money!!!

In February 2002, we were matched with a birthmom, but that did not work out the way we hoped. We left a beautiful little boy with his wonderful mother who just could not allow someone else to parent her son. She was, and I am sure, is a good mother...We miss her and her son!

In April 2002, Elizabeth contacted us with a atypical situation. One month later, our daughter Chloe was born. She is beautiful (can't ya tell?).. and we love her dearly!! Her birthmom contacts us on a regular basis even though, in the beginning, she wanted nothing to do with us. We are very grateful she has embraced open adoption!

Here is where the plot takes a "twist". In 2003, we decided that we wanted to adopt again. I am not the most patient of people and when it was time to sign up with an agency, there was not an "againers" orientation at Abrazo for several months. At the time, it was too long to wait. So, we joined another agency. 2004 was one "heck" of a year...We had 3 failed adoption plans that cost us a lot of heartache not to mention to money. Early this year, we were matched again but not feeling really good about the match. Then, out of the "clear blue sky", Angela called with a little guy who needed us as his parents as much as we needed him to be our son. When we arrived in San Antonio, Elizabeth said, "Welcome Home"...and we were home.

The Moral of the Story: The staff at Abrazo is very dedicated to their profession...which is helping all parties to do what is best for each and every child. Your dreams will come true...just believe, be HONEST with yourself and Abrazo...and get ready!

Thank you guys for all the comments. Its nice to hear good things about the agency. It amazes me at how fast people have been placed. We are hoping to be invited to the July or Sept orientation due to my husband being out of the country, hazard of the job.

Mom2b, I am so glad to hear from another miltary couple. For some reason agencies NC don't like to work with miltary couples, I actually even had one refuse to talk to me at all.

Again thanks to you all for the comforting words.

cool.gif Welcome fellow military Michelle&Mike,

We too are military (go big blue). My husband is AD and I USAFR and Abrazo had no problem with our status. Our daughter's BP thought it was great too.

The agency actually had a couple that matched ASAP after orientation since the husband was going to Iraq. I think they either placed right before he left or he had to come back for the birth...so, it doesn't seem to be an issue for Abrazo. They are in military town USA and very supportive of the uniform.

Come on down to the south for a looksie...best of luck.

Laura

• 1 month later...

I mailed our formal application off on Tuesday, what a relief. We are hoping to be invited to the July orientation. Anyone else going to the July orientation?

Hi, Mike and Michelle!

My husband and I filled out our initial paperwork (inquiry) in mid January 2005. We heard from Abrazo very quickly. We then sent in the application that they sent to us. Once that was finished we signed up for the March 4 and 5 2005 Parents of Tomorrow Orientation weekend. Well, I am proud to announce that we just returned home with our brand new daughter tonight!!!!!! smile.gif

We got a call on April 4 about a newborn baby girl. Abrazo asked us if we were interested and mailed us her paperwork.

Mickey (hubby) and I drove from Nashville on April 9 and arrived in San Antonio on April 11 to meet our new daughter!!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

Abrazo does work super quick! If someone had told me in Jan. when we initially inquired about Abrazo's program that we would have a daughter by April 11...I would have thought they were nuts!

I know that some placements have been faster than ours and some have been slower. I think overall Abrazo works super fast compared to other agencies I have heard about.

Good luck on your new journey! You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Elaine

Elaine,

I am originally from Nashville, Tn. I moved with husband in Sept 01 but had lived there for 28 years. We are now in North Carolina, my husband is stationed at Fort Bragg. Congrats on your little one. I have heard and read great things about Abrazo. We are very excited to begin our journey.

Melissa,

Well hopefully we can meet in July. We are looking forward to the trip. We are actually going to spend about 6 days in Texas visiting relatives. Was your first placement thru Abrazo?

Michelle,

We started with Abrazo three years ago next month. We were matched with Grace Ann's birthparents in Aug. of 2002 and Grace Ann was born in Nov.

We are ready to have a new little person in our house and Grace Ann is more than ready to become a big sister. I have said this before but Grace Ann has started carrying around her flip-flops like babies and she tells people they are her little sisters!

Best of Luck along your journey to parenthood!!!!

Michelle,

Nashville is great. Funny that you all now are stationed at Fort Bragg. My cousin is also stationed there. It's a small world!

Keep us posted on how things are going with you. Best wishes!!!

Elaine

This is my first post! I wanted to indroduce myself. My husband and I are so excited to hear there are several military couples working with Abrazo. My husband is Air Force and we are currently stationed at Spangdahlem Germany. The AF is moving us to Clovis, NM in July. We were both raised in Texas and are excited to move closer to home, and most of all hopefully begin working with Abrazo in the adoption process!

I have been reading posts from the forum for several months now but I just mailed our initial inquiry a week ago and we are waiting to hear from Abrazo. It is so exciting to hear adoptive parents and birth parents stories. We have friends who adopted with Abrazo last year and I feel so blessed they shared their positive experience with us.

Thank all of you for your openness and support of others.

Jason and Kristen

Welcome, Jason and Kristin

I'm sure you know by now that I'm former Army, now a stay at home Mom. :-) I'm also and adoptee and a birthmom.

I look forward to learning more about you and encouraging you on your adoption journey!

Hugs and Prayers!

Loriahn

Hi, Ephraim! Being that you're in Germany, you might want to attend the European Adoption Conference on May 6 and 7 at Ramstein AFB in Kaiserlautern, Germany, about an hour from Frankfurt. For more information, check out Americans Abroad Adopting or email usadopterope@yahoo.com. Hope to see you there!

This is my first post!  I wanted to indroduce myself.  My husband and I are so excited to hear there are several military couples working with Abrazo.  My husband is Air Force and we are currently stationed at Spangdahlem Germany. 

Hi,

We also "wore the blue." My husband and I were both Air Force officers when we got married, but separated from the active duty AF in 1992. He stayed in the Reserves and is now a Lt Colonel. I was stationed at Rhein-Main AB Germany in the mid-80's. Loved it!

While you're over there, try to pick up one of those German strollers/baby carriages to bring back to use when your baby comes. Everybody who had kids over there thought the German ones were a lot more sturdy, and since Germans like to walk a lot, the stroller wheels were meant to go over the cobblestone streets.

Welcome to the Abrazo forum family!

Edited by marthaj

Stork Central,

We will be at the synposium! Will you be there? Where should we look to find you?

As I read through all the posts on the forum I know God leads many of the poeple to adoption from reading their stroies. (OK I believe he leads everyone whether they know it or not) God has been leading my husband and I also and speaking to us through many different resources leading us to adoption and specifically to Abrazo. Lately it seems he has "turned up" the volume and his leadings are so loud and clear! There is no room to doubt that this is what he has planned for us and our future child and hopefully children. After 5 years of struggeling with infetility and what God's plan is for our "Family" his leading is so clear now. What a wonderful feeling! All in God's perfect timing!!!

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3 I cannot wait to find out what "great and unsearchable" things he has planned for us and for everyone!

Loriahn, thank you for your welcome!

Marthaj, thanks for the tip on the stroller!

Jason and Kristen

Edited by Ephraim

• 11 months later...

If you're new around here and have been lurking, unsure of where (or whether) to post, take the plunge!! Here's your chance to tell the Forum family a little bit about who you are and where you're at in your journey to parenthood. Welcome!