The Welcome Wagon!

Zinnia

Hello!

My name is Jen and I have been obsessed with this forum for 3 days now. My husband and I have decided to adopt. We are 26 and 27 and I am infertile. We are tired of hearing "wait till your older it will happen"! I am a teacher and I feel that I LOVE so many children from all kinds of families...I have always known I can open my heart to an adopted child who would be my very own. Well I really just wanted to say HI! and that we are planning to attend the March orientation if we get all our ducks in a row. We are sending our pre-app this week and hope to hear back soon. I also am contacting a social worker next week to get a homestudy done. Does anyone know how many visits or how soon this can be done?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!

My name is Jen and I have been obsessed with this forum for 3 days now. My husband and I have decided to adopt. We are 26 and 27 and I am infertile. We are tired of hearing "wait till your older it will happen"! I am a teacher and I feel that I LOVE so many children from all kinds of families...I have always known I can open my heart to an adopted child who would be my very own. Well I really just wanted to say HI! and that we are planning to attend the March orientation if we get all our ducks in a row. We are sending our pre-app this week and hope to hear back soon. I also am contacting a social worker next week to get a homestudy done. Does anyone know how many visits or how soon this can be done?

Jen (and your husband ;) ) WELCOME!!! It is always great to see new faces, er, profiles, here :) We are very excited for you and wish you all the best in your adoption pursuit.

As you will quickly find out, if you have not already from your 3 days of surfing the boards, there are many incredible people here and there is a vast wealth of knowlege about the adoption process among them.

We look forward to many more posts from you and getting to follow and support you as you grow your family. :)

ps) Please let you husband know it is totally cool to participate as well B) We need more guys posting here as we seem to be highly outnumbered on the guy/girl ratio ;):P

-Adam

I see you are from Austin. Great city. Only visited once and my wife's best friend lives there. We hope to make it back there soon.

Edited by Adam & Beth

Hello!

Welcome Jen. So glad to see someone from the Austin area, there are not too many of us on the forum. Good luck getting everything done for the March orientation. Andy and I are fairly new here, we attended orientation Dec. 1st and 2nd. This has been the best experience so far. Orientation was a blast. We began our homestudy about 2 weeks before Christmas, and are pretty much done with it. The only things we are waiting on is our child abuse and FBI clearances. We had our fingerprints taken Dec 14th I think, so it is taking a little loner than usual I think. I don't actually remember how many visits we have had with our socail worker, I wanna say 5 (I think). I found a great social worker in Austin, and I can give you all that info if you would like.

Just wanted to say welcome. If you need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask. I am also available to talk if you like. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck Jen.

Hello!

Jen,

Welcome to the Abrazo Forum Family.... You will find some wonderful people here that will give you comfort, good advise and some will become good friends.

You will enjoy Orientation, it is an experience you remember for a lifetime.

Linda

Hello!

Welcome Jen!

Why wait til March? You could be parents by then. See if you can get your paperwork and pen on the fast track and attend in January. Usually, the more open you are, the faster your dream comes true. Just wanted to say WELCOME and tell you that if you are open and meet the requirements, it's only a matter of when you become parents not if.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I am eager to meet new people and share the ups and downs of adoption.

Jen (and Amos) ;)

Jen,

Keep posting as we are eager go meet new people to like you also. Feel free to share as we do.

Linda

Just in case anyone missed this in its original spot (under "About the Forum"), thought I'd copy here it too :)

Thanks to everyone for helping out with the effort to welcome our new members :)

Lisa

Just an idea! If you're killing time on the Forum and looking for something productive to do OR if you feel a need to "do a good deed" on behalf of your Forum family, how about this?

Go to "Members" (the link in the light purple bar above, right under the masthead.) What you can then view is a 26 page listing of all our Forum members!! Those who registered but never provided us with identifying information to activate their Forum Rewards registration are listed not as members but as "guests" (so if someone you know is there, call them and remind them to email the webmaster with their name and address so they can become Active Members without delay!) Our most loyal members can be quickly identified by the number of chili peppers adorning their box. This table will also show you who are "lurkers" are-- those members who have never posted even once, some of whom have been Forum readers for years! Let's get them (and our newest members) sharing their thoughts and perspectives, too, this year!!

If you go to "Members" and click on "Toggle More Options" then scroll to the bottom of the "Search & Filter" box, you'll see a strip that allows you to search for members: select "by join date" and then in the next field, select "in DESCENDING order" and then select how many you'd like to see. Submit this request, and the system will pull up a collection of our NEWEST forum members. If you click on their screen name, it should take you to their profile, which will enable you to leave them a message of welcome, or better yet, you can even email them a note to say you're glad they found the Forum. Encourage them to get active, because only by posting can we get to know each other and offer support through life's journeys.

OR, wander through the table of all forum members; if you click on their name and go to their profile, you can see when they visited the Forum last. Choose those who haven't been on in a while, and send them an email to let them know they've been missed! Or select Forum members who have never posted or rarely do so, and encourage them to join in the dialogue! Tell them that you're interested in their story, and help them find their voice on the Forum.

Let's see how many of our newcomers and lurkers can be encouraged to come out of the shadows into the sunlight, so they (and the rest of us) can benefit more from their membership here!

Help lead 'em from this: :ph34r: to this: :D !!

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Hopefully we're in the right place since no one has posted here in a while...

We just wanted to introduce ourselves. We’re Paul & Jen. Last month we had a private placement come to an abrupt end when our birthmother gave birth at 22 weeks to a stillborn son. While we were convinced that the birthmother we had been matched with was meant to be (lots of coincidental similarities), we now realize that perhaps that placement was meant to get us to fully commit to our adoption plans.

We were introduced to Abrazo through family members who used their services to adopt both of their beautiful children. We have spoken with them a lot about our decision and after hearing them rave about the wonderful job that everyone at Abrazo does, we decided that we would pursue adoption through them as well.

We submitted our inquiry/initial application a few weeks ago and are anxiously awaiting our next round of paperwork. We look forward to getting to know those of you going through the same journey to parenthood and wish you all the best of luck.

Paul & Jen

We just wanted to introduce ourselves. We’re Paul & Jen. Last month we had a private placement come to an abrupt end when our birthmother gave birth at 22 weeks to a stillborn son. While we were convinced that the birthmother we had been matched with was meant to be (lots of coincidental similarities), we now realize that perhaps that placement was meant to get us to fully commit to our adoption plans.

We submitted our inquiry/initial application a few weeks ago and are anxiously awaiting our next round of paperwork. We look forward to getting to know those of you going through the same journey to parenthood and wish you all the best of luck.

Paul & Jen

Paul & Jen,

Welcome :) Sorry to hear about your private placement :( However, I am glad you have found Abrazo :) We've just recently in the past few months been there/done that with our inquiry and application. We are one of the newest PIW's, who just attended orientation a week ago.

The Forum is a great place to be to meet some wonderful people :D We also wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Cathy

Welcome to Abrazo!

We used Abrazo to adopt our son in Aug 2005- he just turned 2, our daughter is 7 & her adoption was a private independent one in 2000.

We also live in Virginia.

Please feel free to PM us for questions.

We are having a Virginia regional gathering September 29 in Williamsburg area.

PM Kathy, iNPink, for the details :) & watch the gatherings page.

Again welcome!!

~Amy

Welcome Paul and Jen! The forum is a wealth of information. I am glad you have chosen Abrazo for your adoption dreams to become true. Good luck in your journey!

Welcome to the forum Paul and Jen! Sorry to hear about your recent loss. :(

Thanks so much for all of the warm welcomes!

Amy, Thanks for letting us know about the gathering. Not sure if we'll be able to attend or not. We are outside of DC so Williamsburg is a bit of a drive for us.

Paul & Jen

Welcome Paul and Jen,

I adopted my son almost 5 years ago through Abrazo. The agency and the community they've created is one of support, wisdom and a little bit of craziness. I wish you the best in your journey to parenthood and let me know if there is any thing I can do for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Jean

AKA: Garden of Hope

Welcome Paul and Jen,

I adopted my son almost 5 years ago through Abrazo. The agency and the community they've created is one of support, wisdom and a little bit of craziness. I wish you the best in your journey to parenthood and let me know if there is any thing I can do for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Jean

AKA: Garden of Hope

Thanks Jean! Right now we're just trying our best to be patient.

Hi Everyone! :D

I just wanted to introduce myself, or shall I say reintroduce myself to the Abrazo Forum. My name is Robin and my husband's name is Jerry. We were part of the "Tremendous Ten" orientation group of May 2004 and thanks to God, Abrazo, and a very special birthmother, adopted a beautiful daughter in July 2004. Meghan just turned 3 years old the end of July and what an amazing 3 years it has been! She is just so fun, smart, and lights up the room wherever she goes. We LOVE being parents!

It has been quite a while since I have done any posting (my how time flies), although I have been "lurking" a lot the past few months. I decided that it is now high time I join in because I am so pationate about adoption.

We sent in our application to Abrazo in early August in hopes of being one of their "againers". We are SO very excited about adopting for the second time! Meghan is very anxious to be a big sister. She asks us all the time about her baby sister or baby brother. We are looking forward to the plans and journey God has for us to lead us to the newest member of our family!

Robin, Meghan's Mommy

Welcome Robin. We look forward to hearing more from you and following your journey to your newest son or daughter!! Feel free to jump in anywhere...as you know, we're a friendly group! ;)