Employer Adoption Benefits

melissamerritt

Eli Lily is one of the reader-nominated top companies listed on AF's website - woo hoo!

Nokia did also pay for some of our unreimbursed infertility expenses (up to $3500) so kudos to them for that too. They aren't listed though in AF's lists - hmmmmm....wonder if they've cut some of those benefits (Lance was laid off from there about 2 years ago so I'm clueless about what they offer these days - where he works now doesn't offer anything like that but it's a Chinese owned company so I guess with their population problems, they don't really see the value in reimbursing people for trying to get pregnant :rolleyes: - although you'd think that they'd be friendlier about the adoption benefits - it's still new here though (the company) so they're still getting things set up - they only just started contributing/matching Lance's 401-K (and let's just say their matching isn't exactly competitive for the telecom industry - they could definitely do a better job there as well)

-Lisa

I know my brother in law and his ex-wife looked into this with his company. I believe that his company "Eli Lilly" payed for infertility expense (up to a certain point) and adotpion expenses (again to a certain point). I have always heard great things about this company...so if anyone is looking for a job you might think them!!!!

Ever wonder which companies are considered "adoption friendly"? I have! When Lance worked at Nokia, they offered a $3,000 adoption assistance benefit which we were very thankful for and expressed our appreciation with a thank-you to the President (hoping that if ever during "cuts", they wouldn't let that be one of them).

Anyone else work for a company that offers a big thumbs up for how they treat adoption? Feel free to plug 'em here so we can support companies who have values that matter to us in the adoption community. Thumbs-downs welcome here too :)

Here's an article on Adoptive Families website that covers Reader's Top Picks for Adoption Friendly Companies!

Making It Work - Top Adoption Friendly Companies

And if you do work for an adoption friendly company, don't forget to express your own thanks/thumbs-up and let them know how much you appreciate it!

And...if you're working for one that isn't up to par just yet with adoption benefits, this link even provides a Adoption Benefits Sample Letter you can send to your company's "big cheese" as AF puts it to hopefully make them aware of the need to offer adoption assistance benefits to others who take this journey.

-Lisa

When we adopted Joshua, Larry worked for an ad agency in town (archer>malmo for you Memphians). They did not offer adoption benefits so Larry petioned them for benefits with a sample letter I got from Adoptive Families magazine. They then decided to offer reimbursement (I think $1,500) and also added one week paid paternity leave for all fathers (biological and adoptive). It didn't hurt that the President of the company was a two-time Abrazo dad!! Also, there was another man (and his wife) who were adopting from China.

And when Larry's one-week paternity leave turned into one month (we were in San Antonio for a month for those who are new to the forum), they didn't bat an eye. They paid him the whole time and didn't count any of it against his vacation! They were awesome!

I wish my employer (a Children's Hospital) would contribute towards adoption expenses.

They are great at savings children's lives but unfortunately they don't bend over backwards to help their employees have children (no fertility coverage nor adoption allowance)

That would be SOOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam, don't forget how great an onsite daycare could be! Some of the things are great, and others not so much. It cracks me up, too how different it can be "across the street." MLK day is not a holiday for us!!

Ever wonder which companies are considered "adoption friendly"? I have! When Lance worked at Nokia, they offered a $3,000 adoption assistance benefit which we were very thankful for and expressed our appreciation with a thank-you to the President (hoping that if ever during "cuts", they wouldn't let that be one of them).

Anyone else work for a company that offers a big thumbs up for how they treat adoption? Feel free to plug 'em here so we can support companies who have values that matter to us in the adoption community. Thumbs-downs welcome here too :)

Here's an article on Adoptive Families website that covers Reader's Top Picks for Adoption Friendly Companies!

Making It Work - Top Adoption Friendly Companies

And if you do work for an adoption friendly company, don't forget to express your own thanks/thumbs-up and let them know how much you appreciate it!

And...if you're working for one that isn't up to par just yet with adoption benefits, this link even provides a Adoption Benefits Sample Letter you can send to your company's "big cheese" as AF puts it to hopefully make them aware of the need to offer adoption assistance benefits to others who take this journey.

-Lisa

When we adopted Joshua, Larry worked for an ad agency in town (archer>malmo for you Memphians). They did not offer adoption benefits so Larry petioned them for benefits with a sample letter I got from Adoptive Families magazine. They then decided to offer reimbursement (I think $1,500) and also added one week paid paternity leave for all fathers (biological and adoptive). It didn't hurt that the President of the company was a two-time Abrazo dad!! Also, there was another man (and his wife) who were adopting from China.

And when Larry's one-week paternity leave turned into one month (we were in San Antonio for a month for those who are new to the forum), they didn't bat an eye. They paid him the whole time and didn't count any of it against his vacation! They were awesome!

Susan,

Do you have a copy of that letter? I would be very interested in sending one to Chris's work.

I think so too Lisa...

But for my good friend Melissa, I will try to find our revised letter and send it on to you!! I know, what would you do without me! :D

(Don't answer that!)

Okay, I looked. (Note the time...I'm missing precious and much needed beauty sleep for you!) But no luck. Who knows...I probably typed it at work and never even had it on my home computer! But, Lisa is right. I mostly followed the sample letter from AF. Hope Chris' employer coughs up some $$$ for you!

Adam, don't forget how great an onsite daycare could be! Some of the things are great, and others not so much. It cracks me up, too how different it can be "across the street." MLK day is not a holiday for us!!

Agreed regarding daycare. Yes, things are a bit different between the streets. I think the IT group over there has a bit more flexible scheduling as I know my buddy in IT over there works 7:30 -4:30. Wish I could do that. My former employer let me work 7-4 which was great.

We just got MLK as a holiday last year. But, the hospital took away our day after Thanksgiving holiday. So, it was a swap. A lot of people are unhappy about it. Not upset at all regarding MLK, but very unhappy that they now have to burn a personal holiday or vacation day to get the day after thanksgiving off which they had off for years.

Agreed regarding daycare. Yes, things are a bit different between the streets. I think the IT group over there has a bit more flexible scheduling as I know my buddy in IT over there works 7:30 -4:30. Wish I could do that. My former employer let me work 7-4 which was great.

We just got MLK as a holiday last year. But, the hospital took away our day after Thanksgiving holiday. So, it was a swap. A lot of people are unhappy about it. Not upset at all regarding MLK, but very unhappy that they now have to burn a personal holiday or vacation day to get the day after thanksgiving off which they had off for years.

Yeah, well. We supposedly don't have "flex" time anywhere in our organization, but that's a bunch of bull. I was thinking that you lost the Friday after Thanksgiving, but I wasn't for sure. It is funny, too, because we don't have the same insurance group. Dale's doctor isn't one of the providers for your plan, but he is for ours. When we first changed to my plan from his, the dr office kept telling us they weren't in the plan because all they saw on my card was the hospital name. HELLO! Ours was on there first.

Anyway, I wasn't able to take any sick time during my "maternity leave." I didn't give birth, so I had no note from my doctor saying I wasn't able to work.

Yeah, well. We supposedly don't have "flex" time anywhere in our organization, but that's a bunch of bull. I was thinking that you lost the Friday after Thanksgiving, but I wasn't for sure. It is funny, too, because we don't have the same insurance group. Dale's doctor isn't one of the providers for your plan, but he is for ours. When we first changed to my plan from his, the dr office kept telling us they weren't in the plan because all they saw on my card was the hospital name. HELLO! Ours was on there first.

Anyway, I wasn't able to take any sick time during my "maternity leave." I didn't give birth, so I had no note from my doctor saying I wasn't able to work.

Yep, while the two places are codependent upon one another for survival, they are definitely two different entities. I think my friend across the street said he starts with 2 weeks of vacation and gets a third after 3 (or was it 5 years) then he gets 4 weeks of vacation in year 5 or 7 (can't remember). I started at the hospital with 3 weeks and don't quailify for 4 weeks vacation until 10 years of service (yikes!).

There are perks to either place. I know overall I am very happy with the healthcare program.

Edited by Adam & Beth

Hey all you Tennessee Folks - towards the end of last year they changed the Tennessee Bonding Law to include Adoption. So - if this policy in your hand book covers use of sick time for maternity - it is suppose to cover adoption. The law was passed in October/November to include all Adoption and Paternity leave. It is a separate policy from FMLA – or you can look at it as though it is Tennessee’s version of FMLA.

• 3 months later...

Gabe, the triplets AD, took off a week to drive with Lisa out to SA where I was in the hospital, he stayed a few days. Then had to return to work. he flew out the day I gave birth stayed for a week then returned back to work. Then when the triplets got out of the hospital he and Lisa'a mom came out for the "long drive home". I think he took off a couple more weeks, but I remember his company being very helpful with him and his job.