Employer Adoption Benefits

melissamerritt

Chris just called his company to ask if they had any employer benefits for adoption. We didn't think they did but it never hurts to ask. He was told he could take the family leave act, but if he was gone too long they could not keep his job! He asked them what they would consider a long time...their response over two weeks! He was informed that he is expected to be at work everyday and they can not help it if it takes longer than two weeks to come home.

With Grace Ann we were in Texas for 40 days.

I wonder how many of this company's female employees had children and took their full six weeks off without fear of losing their job?

I am just so angry right now that I can't see straight.

Edited by melissamerritt

Melissa,

I agree with Rhonda, if your husband works for a company with over 50 employees, then he woudl be covered under the FMLA, which allows for up to 3 or 6 months(can not remember the length of time) paid or unpaid(that is determined by each employer) without losing his job, and it is both for the birth or the placement of a child for adoption, and it is for both parents. I researched this law several years ago for my company, we had less than 10 employees, but my boss felt that we should try to comply with the FMLA now so that when we grow, it would not be a change for the benefits.

Do a web search for the FMLA, and that should answer your question regardign exactly what is says, and what Chris's employer can and can not do in regards to him taking time off for the adoption of a child.

Hope this helps

Beth

Thanks Rhonda and Beth.

I feel much better now.

I just researched FMLA and there is no way that Chris can lose his job because of an adoption. I have a lot of info that I copied off the website which will come in handy tomorrow when I call his company. I am ready to quote the info right back to them. Chris said he felt sory for them because they don't know what they get to look forward to in the morning rolleyes.gif !

Thanks again,

Melissa

HAAA! Chris is right! They do not know the wrath that awaits them! Wish I could be a fly on the wall when that call is made. Phew!

Good luck! I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Love,

Elaine

Well, I just got off the phone with Chris's employers. His company does not fall under FMLA rules because it is a vendor company for Lowe's. Chris is a vendor for three different Lowe's in our area. His area does not have 50 more employees so as I was told they do not have to abide by those rules. The lady I talked to said they could allow Chris to be off two maybe three weeks after that he might not have a job to return to. I asked her about the women that work for the company and she said the same goes for them. She went back to work after two weeks because she wanted to be loyal to her company(her words not mine)!!

She also told me it was a good thing that we were adopting in this country not overseas.

She went on to tell me that the adoption world was punishing us because of (her words again) dumb laws that are set up!

Chris is going to talk to his regional boss about all this. Don't know if it will help but it can't hurt.

Melissa,

Keep us posted. I feel so bad for you guys! Adoption is stressful enough without the incredible fear of losing your husband's income in the process. I'm confident that "all will work out in the end" for your family but that's of little consolation to you now I'm sure!

I agree with you that it doesn't hurt to keep inquiring as far and as high up as you can in the company.

If, God forbid, he does end up losing that job and going to another company, it may not be such a bad deal...what if you had a lengthy family illness/emergency or any short/long term disability that would keep him away from work for a few weeks?? Maybe this is a good time to find out how unsupportive his work would be. (Just playing Devil's Advocate...I wish you guys all the best!!)

Take care, Cath

Melissa,

I am sorry! I had hoped for better news. I wondered off and on all day about how it went. sad.gif

I agree with Cath. I would try asking someone "above" the person you spoke with today. The worse thing they can say is No...so you don't have anything to lose.

Do any adoption advocate companies have any pull outside of their own? I mean do some adoption advocates intervene in situations like this? Like Dave Thomas was such a proactive adoption advocate. I wonder if you have to work for a company like Wendy's to be able to benefit from his efforts? I don't know if this even makes any sense. I am so tired I am about to drop!

I will try to collect my thoughts. If I can think of a way to word my thoughts to make them make better sense, then I will post again. Sorry!

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

Great News!!!

Chris had a meeting with his regional manager today. Out of the blue he asked Chris how old Grace Ann was and then he went to say it was time for her to become a big sister. Well Chris of course told him about what we were told about him taking time off. His manager assured Chris that he would have his job back when he came back regardless how long it takes. He even went to say that if need-be he would fill in for Chris personally!!! He told Chris not to worry one minute about losing his job. That is a big answered prayer!!!

That is Great news!! God is Awesome!

Oh my goodness! This is WONDERFUL news! You are right...it truly is an answered prayer! I am so happy for you. God is good! smile.gif

Love,

Elaine

p.s. I think between me and you...we keep God pretty busy! tongue.gif

Great News!!!

Chris had a meeting with his regional manager today. Out of the blue he asked Chris how old Grace Ann was and then he went to say it was time for her to become a big sister. Well Chris of course told him about what we were told about him taking time off. His manager assured Chris that he would have his job back when he came back regardless how long it takes. He even went to say that if need-be he would fill in for Chris personally!!! He told Chris not to worry one minute about losing his job. That is a big answered prayer!!!

14262[/snapback]

Melissa,

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this same regional manager would meet with the company's Human Resources folks, and put a policy in writing, so that employees contemplating extended time off in the future would not have to worry about job loss? Even though they may not be compelled by law to offer FMLA, it's certainly the right thing to do!! (What about someone who needs time off to care for a sick family member? etc).

So, Melissa, does this mean you'll be back in San Antonio this year as "againers" for orientation?

We are hoping and praying that we will be againers before the end of Summer.

I have prayed that if it is God's will for us to adopt again that the doors would be open, so I think the doors were open a little yesterday.

• 1 month later...

Just an update:

Chris just came back last week from a meeting with the owner of his company. He told Chris that he is going to give him paid leave the entire time that he is off for our next adoption!!! He told Chris to take however much time that he needed and not to worry about his job.

He also gave him last Friday off with pay so he could help with our yardsale.

It just amazes me how everything is working out. I am no longer worried anymore, I am ready to jump feet first into the adoption waters!

Watch out Abrazo here we come biggrin.gif !!!!

Edited by melissamerritt

Melissa,

I am so happy for you guys. I have been keeping up with your posts and it gives me a feeling of peace and contentment to hear about the support that you are receiving. I wish that all adoptive families could feel that kind of support.

Bobbi

Melissa,

Like Bobbi, I've been keeping up with your posts and very pleased to see this outcome. God always provides.

Like you, we are beginning to pull things together again so we may become "againers". Our precious daughter joined our hearts and family, a little over a year ago. I doubt we will make it to the orientation you will be attending - have enjoyed reading your post and would love to meet you.

Take care,

Rhonda

(a.k.a. Alana's mommy)

Thanks Bobbi and Rhonda,

I have felt such a peace just recently about adopting again.I have fought it for a few months but now I think we are doing what we are suppose to do. Chris was ready last year but it took me a little while longer.

I can't wait to get started.

Rhonda just jump in and join us! I would love a chance to meet you also!

• 1 year later...

Ever wonder which companies are considered "adoption friendly"? I have! When Lance worked at Nokia, they offered a $3,000 adoption assistance benefit which we were very thankful for and expressed our appreciation with a thank-you to the President (hoping that if ever during "cuts", they wouldn't let that be one of them).

Anyone else work for a company that offers a big thumbs up for how they treat adoption? Feel free to plug 'em here so we can support companies who have values that matter to us in the adoption community. Thumbs-downs welcome here too :)

Here's an article on Adoptive Families website that covers Reader's Top Picks for Adoption Friendly Companies!

Making It Work - Top Adoption Friendly Companies

And if you do work for an adoption friendly company, don't forget to express your own thanks/thumbs-up and let them know how much you appreciate it!

And...if you're working for one that isn't up to par just yet with adoption benefits, this link even provides a Adoption Benefits Sample Letter you can send to your company's "big cheese" as AF puts it to hopefully make them aware of the need to offer adoption assistance benefits to others who take this journey.

-Lisa

Anyone else work for a company that offers a big thumbs up for how they treat adoption? Feel free to plug 'em here so we can support companies who have values that matter to us in the adoption community. Thumbs-downs welcome here too :)

Well, before deciding to adopt we researched my husband's bank (he works for a bank) and found out they cover up to 10,000 for adoption. We were shocked! BUT, since we haven't adopted yet, and haven't seen for sure if this is REALLY true. I am still a little in doubt. Very-what's that catch, you know?

Wow! That's great! I know with Nokia's adoption assistance benefit - there really was no catch at all - we just had to provide documentation to them supporting the $3,000 to get the reimbursement (I probably have the paperwork somewhere - I can't remember if we had to wait until finalization - I think we did and I think we could only claim agency fees, which was fine - we had more than $3000 in agency fees).

I hope there's no catch for you guys - that's fantastic! I'm always curious too why some companies are so great about their adoption assistance benefits, and others are not? Like, for the ones that are - is someone in charge an adoptive parent or how did they decide to be so awesome with regards to adoptive parents?

-Lisa

Well, before deciding to adopt we researched my husband's bank (he works for a bank) and found out they cover up to 10,000 for adoption. We were shocked! BUT, since we haven't adopted yet, and haven't seen for sure if this is REALLY true. I am still a little in doubt. Very-what's that catch, you know?

Jen, WOW! Two things :

1) That is awesome the employer will pay that. I have heard of employers paying thousands towards adoption, but that is I think the highest. I've heard stories of $5K and $8K

2) Where do I apply for a job there ;) (Just kidding).

I wish my employer (a Children's Hospital) would contribute towards adoption expenses.

They are great at savings children's lives but unfortunately they don't bend over backwards to help their employees have children (no fertility coverage nor adoption allowance)

That would be SOOOOOOO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$10,000 would be almost the max amount of the Federal Adoption Tax Credit. Granted it doesn't pay for everything, but that kind of money sure makes a difference.

:)

-A

Edited by Adam & Beth

I know my brother in law and his ex-wife looked into this with his company. I believe that his company "Eli Lilly" payed for infertility expense (up to a certain point) and adotpion expenses (again to a certain point). I have always heard great things about this company...so if anyone is looking for a job you might think them!!!!