INQUIRY

Guest Julie&Rick

"Stamp that envelope and send in that inquiry asap!!!"

We've now done that a second time. First time is was sent on 3/31/07 via Certified mail and was never received. Second time was sent 4/25/07 and was received by Abrazo this week. Now, just anxiously awaiting approval for the next step.

Did I say ANXIOUSLY?

Okay, I'm trying to be patient. . .

Cathy Hendricks

Best of luck to you Cathy (and Brian). Hope you get that call saying (like the words of The Price is Right)

"COME ON DOWN! -- You're the next PIW for Orientation Weekend" :)

-A

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stamp that envelope and send in that inquiry asap!!!"

We've now done that a second time. First time is was sent on 3/31/07 via Certified mail and was never received. Second time was sent 4/25/07 and was received by Abrazo this week. Now, just anxiously awaiting approval for the next step.

Did I say ANXIOUSLY?

Okay, I'm trying to be patient. . .

Cathy Hendricks

Best of luck to you Cathy (and Brian). Hope you get that call saying (like the words of The Price is Right)

"COME ON DOWN! -- You're the next PIW for Orientation Weekend" :)

-A

Yippee!!!!!!

Angela and I have just hung up the phone. We've made it past first base and are headed to second. . .not sure if we can meet the June 1&2 orientation requirements and deadline, but we'll see :o

Cathy and Brian

Yippee!!!!!!

Angela and I have just hung up the phone. We've made it past first base and are headed to second. . .not sure if we can meet the June 1&2 orientation requirements and deadline, but we'll see :o

Cathy and Brian

Congratulations on "passing first base". We look forward to following your journey.

[quote name='Brian and Cathy' date='May 8 2007, 05:52 PM' post='885

We've made it past first base and are headed to second. . .not sure if we can meet the June 1&2 orientation requirements and deadline, but we'll see :o

Cathy and Brian

YES YOU CAN !! YOU can do it !! Way to go!!

not sure if we can meet the June 1&2 orientation requirements and deadline, but we'll see :o

Cathy and Brian

YES YOU CAN !! YOU can do it !! Way to go!!

Good news/bad news. . .

We think we can complete all of the paperwork in time for June; however, Brian has a committment at work that he cannot get around. Therefore, we're going to have to hope there is another PIW weekend in the not too far future. I'm not giving up yet, just having to continue to test my patience :angry:

Cathy

We think we can complete all of the paperwork in time for June; however, Brian has a committment at work that he cannot get around. Therefore, we're going to have to hope there is another PIW weekend in the not too far future. I'm not giving up yet, just having to continue to test my patience :angry:

Cathy

At least you know and can get working and planning and ready for the next one. Trust me there is so much that needs to get done you can consider yourself ahead when you hopefully get to attend an Orientation. They are GREAT and very informative and you'll probably be at one before you know it. I don't know many people who have mastered patience...except the people expecting it!! You just try and keep the long term things in perspective and keep yourself occupied, in the process we might learn more about putting that desired trait to practice!!! :P You'll make it and do fine!!! :):D:):D

Jenny

At least you know and can get working and planning and ready for the next one. Trust me there is so much that needs to get done you can consider yourself ahead when you hopefully get to attend an Orientation. They are GREAT and very informative and you'll probably be at one before you know it. I don't know many people who have mastered patience...except the people expecting it!! You just try and keep the long term things in perspective and keep yourself occupied, in the process we might learn more about putting that desired trait to practice!!! :P You'll make it and do fine!!! :):D:):D

Jenny

Jenny,

Thank you for nice words. I have plenty of things to keep me busy in addition to this adoption dream. If I had nothing else to do, I could entertain myself searching in the Forum alone :)

But, I also have a lot of other things to take care of so I'm sure time will pass quickly.

Cathy

If I had nothing else to do, I could entertain myself searching in the Forum alone :)

Cathy

I've been registered for 2 months and I'm still discovering new things all the time! Just discovered where to look for older topics.

Welcome, Cathy :)

Hope in MO

• 2 weeks later...
We've made it past first base and are headed to second. We think we can complete all of the paperwork. . .Cathy

If we have a question or two about the application, should we post them here? Or, call Angela? If we should post them here, I'll go ahead and list them. If we should call, I'll do that. Please just let me know. Okay, here I go. . .

1. Would it be taken negatively if we stated "unknown" for the question regarding a parents' attitude towards adoption?

2. For the health statement/question, should we put something like "good/fair" or if there is a health issue list it?

3. For the description of retirement plans, should we list the specific type, amount, account number? Or, just the type?

4. Savings and investments, would this also include any life insurance policies with a cash value?

Thank you to whoever can assist us with these questions. We want to do everything we can to get past second base :rolleyes:

Cathy and Brian

We've made it past first base and are headed to second. We think we can complete all of the paperwork. . .Cathy

If we have a question or two about the application, should we post them here? Or, call Angela? If we should post them here, I'll go ahead and list them. If we should call, I'll do that. Please just let me know. Okay, here I go. . .

1. Would it be taken negatively if we stated "unknown" for the question regarding a parents' attitude towards adoption?

2. For the health statement/question, should we put something like "good/fair" or if there is a health issue list it?

3. For the description of retirement plans, should we list the specific type, amount, account number? Or, just the type?

4. Savings and investments, would this also include any life insurance policies with a cash value?

Thank you to whoever can assist us with these questions. We want to do everything we can to get past second base :rolleyes:

Cathy and Brian

Personally, the more honest you are with questions 1 & 2 the better. I feel like you need to know up front how your family is ging to relate, welcome & love the child you are hoping to welcoming into your home. Does that make sense? I needed to know w/ all of my heart that my parents would love my children just the same as my sisters (biological). I can see in my dad's eye the twinkle of love he has for EACH of his grandchildren...it makes no difference how they arrived.

As far as your health.....the more you can exprain a problem (in my eyes & I work in health care) the better you are & the more you understand what it takes to care for yourself. I'm trying to remember but I think that I listed all my surgeries & other health issues. Tim did the same.

I don't remember what we put for answers to 3 & 4. I would defer you a more recent PIW graduate or the Abrazo staff for those answers.

Hope that helps :).

best wishes.

Cathy and Brian

I think going to the source is always a good way to proceed. Talk to Angela and then answer all questions with total honesty.

I think going to the source is always a good way to proceed. Talk to Angela and then answer all questions with total honesty.

I took your advice and called Angela this afternoon. We have no problem in answering the questions honestly and believe everyone should, but we weren't sure if putting down "unknown at this time" would hurt us. I'm getting more and more anxious and don't want anything to mess this step up :huh:

Don't be anxious. (Easier said than done, we know!) The process of determining whether or not an agency's program fits your needs should be an illuminating one, however nervewracking. Working through your "unknowns," as you complete the paperwork with your spouse, should help you assess whether or not you're in the right place at the right time. And if one answer (or several) ultimately determines that you're not, then you're that much closer to finding what kind of adoption resource will best meet your needs, for the sake of your future family. Good luck!

Brain and Cathy -

I would have to agree with the Stork, you need to get out and interview agencies. Don't get me wrong, Abrazo for us was the right decision. But, we interviewed 10 before we made the decision that would ultimately change our lives. Take it slow, of course maybe not as slow as us, 10 months, but make sure the decision is right and understand everything you are committing too. This is not just for you and your husband but also for the child you are raising and openness is a commitment that works for some but not for all.

We love openness and would not pick anything else, but it is not the same for all.

Enjoy your ride and can’t wait to read all that happens.

you need to get out and interview agencies...we interviewed 10 before we made the decision that would ultimately change our lives.

I guess I haven't thought of it that way, but we were in contact with several agencies as well, trying to figure out who we felt the most comfortable with. Some that came highly recommended just didn't seem to be right for us, so it is certainly an individual thing.

I haven't been in contact with another agency that encourages open adoptions so strongly as Abrazo does. Not that it is good or bad, but they are all different.

Don't be anxious. (Easier said than done, we know!) Working through your "unknowns," as you complete the paperwork with your spouse, should help you assess whether or not you're in the right place at the right time. And if one answer (or several) ultimately determines that you're not, then you're that much closer to finding what kind of adoption resource will best meet your needs, for the sake of your future family. Good luck!

Stork,

You've got that right about it being easier said than done about being anxious. When I told Brian last night I was just afraid I might put down something that would go against us, he told me I couldn't think of it that way. I told him I am just so afraid of being turned down. I guess I feel this way because we have made the decision to pursue adoption after 10 years of trying to conceive and we're getting older--even as soon as this weekend with both of our birthdays--that I'm nervous about not getting the chance to pursue our dream.

However, we will answer the questions truthly as planned and go from there. I have always said that if we were meant to have children we will. So, with that, I'll continue to proceed with the application and hope for the best.

Cathy

(((Cathy)))

I think your fears are normal...infertility takes away almost all perception that you have any control over your life, and then the adoption process takes care of the rest!! What I finally had to realize is that I am not in control...but God is. He has wonderful plans for you and Brian, and most likely that includes parenting! As everyone else has said, just be honest and open. I'm sure Abrazo will talk to you if there are any concerns. You do want to find the agency that's right for you so that you will get the child that is meant for you

I do know that Abrazo is not looking for perfect people, otherwise none of us would have qualified. So just be yourself! :D

(((Cathy)))

You do want to find the agency that's right for you so that you will get the child that is meant for you

I do know that Abrazo is not looking for perfect people, otherwise none of us would have qualified. So just be yourself! :D

Thank you very much for your comforting message. Already, I feel Abrazo is the agency for us. No problem with us being ourself. Both of our parents brought up to be honest. We're honest and have no problem being completely honest and open. Again, thank you for your kinds words.

Cathy

(((Cathy)))

You do want to find the agency that's right for you so that you will get the child that is meant for you

Thank you very much for your comforting message. Already, I feel Abrazo is the agency for us. No problem with us being ourself. Both of our parents brought up to be honest. We're honest and have no problem being completely honest and open. Again, thank you for your kinds words.

Cathy

Cathy,

My husband and I are older parents when we applied with Abrazo and I thought that would be a problem but for us it was not.

After the fertility and working with international adoption and asking about domestic, we were told it would take at least 3 - 5 years. Thank goodness we were brought to Abrazo becasue from Orientation to placement it was 5 months and now our Andrew is turning 1 in June.

I'm sure every experience is different but as you said you have to be open and honest with the process.

Good luck with your journey.

PS- Abrazo is a special place... ;)

Linda

My husband and I are older parents when we applied with Abrazo and I thought that would be a problem but for us it was not.

Thank goodness we were brought to Abrazo becasue from Orientation to placement it was 5 months and now our Andrew is turning 1 in June.

Good luck with your journey.

PS- Abrazo is a special place... ;)

Linda

Linda,

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad things worked out for you and your husband. Wow, a birthday so soon. Good for you both :)

Cathy

• 5 months later...

I have a question...I have noticed that most PIWs come in expecting to be matched with an expecting mother. Do you have PIWs expressly for older placements? There have been a couple of older children this year and I know that our homestudy has not been done for TX standards, so I was wondering if you have people coming in specifically for an older child?

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if Abrazo is accepting inquiry application from "againers" yet?? I just read a staff post mentioning speaking with an "againer" inquiring about adoption. Can I send mine in yet?? :)