INQUIRY

Guest Julie&Rick

Nichole & Joe, welcome welcome welcome!!! I REALLY hope that it works out and we will both be attending the next orientation! Elizabeth is correct, working on all of those things will give you a head start on the application and the rest of it is fairly uncomplicated to fill out. We had our's done in about 2 days and then just had to put everything together so it took a bit longer. Best of luck!!! Kristin :)

Thanks Kristin! I'm working on them right now actually. My doctor would be more than happy to write a letter..and he'd probably even right a letter of reference for us! We've become pretty close over about 5 years of infertility treatments.

Do you have your profile done already as well? I'm not entirely sure of everything to include in ours yet. How long should it be, how should it look, etc?

Whew!! I'm just excited for us to be on our way here!!

Best of luck to you too! :D Nichole

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have your profile done already as well? I'm not entirely sure of everything to include in ours yet. How long should it be, how should it look, etc?

Nichole, the girls at Abrazo will send you some sample profiles in your Orientation packet. I'm sure they would be happy to fax one to you or perhaps send you a copy prior to then.

In short, think of it as about 5-6 pages (3 sheets/duplex), color copied, and a scrapbook kind of feel with some possible 'theme'. Then the FUN :rolleyes: part...trying to condense your life into 6 pages of pictures and text.

--Adam

Edited by Adam & Beth

We are from the Green Bay area...GO PACKERS!! hehe

The Pack will be watching the Big Game from the same place my Cowboys will be....the comfort of their own home.

Favre went to college and has a farm in my hometown. He's big down there too. I'm personally not a fan of his, but I do give credit to all he has accomplished.

Congrats to the Packers on finishing 8-8 (especially on taking out the Bears in the last game). I think that surprised most everyone based on how the season started.

There is a place in the Hall of Fame for Mr. Fav-ree.

Oh boy, we LOVE Brett up here. My husband and I have met him a few times, extremely nice, down to earth guy.

Sorry to hear about the Cowboys...that last play was heartbreaking for them! :(

Favre has his own street named after him here, and of course will be in the Packer HOF too. We just hope for 1 more year!! :)

Nichole, the girls at Abrazo will send you some sample profiles in your Orientation packet. I'm sure they would be happy to fax one to you or perhaps send you a copy prior to then.

In short, think of it as about 5-6 pages (3 sheets/duplex), color copied, and a scrapbook kind of feel with some possible 'theme'. Then the FUN :rolleyes: part...trying to condense your life into 6 pages of pictures and text.

--Adam

Thanks Adam. That's something to go off of at least. haha, Joe and I have been together 13 + years so that is a LOT to condense down. Should be fun though.

Nichole

Thanks Adam. That's something to go off of at least. haha, Joe and I have been together 13 + years so that is a LOT to condense down. Should be fun though.

Nichole

I understand COMPLETELY. Beth and I, though celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary this year, have been together for about 14 years. It took us about 16+ hours of actual work putting our profile together as you can only fit so many pics and brief text passages on a page without it looking crazy :P. You want to say EVERYTHING, but with a finite amount of space, it was tough. We thought maybe we were doing something wrong, but others in our group spent that much time if not a little more.

My personal opinion on it is this, whatever you do, make sure you are Happy with it. That document may likely be your first impression on a birthmother. I don't mean this as any added pressure, I mean, you want your first impression to be something you were happy with, so take your time and make sure you feel good about it.

I was stressed over the amount of time and effort that went in, plus knowing this little booklet is supposed to say who we are, but when it was all said and done, I can honestly say we are very proud of what we put together.

So, don't stress. Take it one step at a time, and in the end, it will be something tangible you can share with those who want to know more about "how the process works". I know we have received many compliments and thanks from our close friends and family with whom we shared our profile. It gave them a better idea of how a birthmother gets started in making contact with potential adoptive parents. In this journey to grow our family, there is not a lot of tangible stuff we can share with others on how this works.

-A

Edited by Adam & Beth

• 4 weeks later...
Nichole and Joe welcome to Abrazo and the forum family. You will have the best experience working with the girls at abrazo they are all wonderful. The more you can get done before you get the application the better. You can also start working on your profile. A couple from our orientation group ( Holy Flying Fish ) Sept. 2006 was placed with 2 beautiful sisters that same weekend. They were obviously well prepared with homestudy, FBI clearence, and profile complete. Good luck and keep posting.

Char B)

Thanks Char for the welcome! Unfortunately my house got hit hard with the flu bug the last few weeks. Ugh. But I basically have my application complete, I just need to take some pictures of bedrooms & then it will be on its way. We had our fingerprinting done last week as well. I heard that takes quite a while through the FBI.

I am also working hard on getting our stuff done for the homestudy.

We are hoping to be able to attend the March/April orientation!!

Well have a great day & look forward to chatting with you all more.

Nichole

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Major newbie here, so I'm not even sure if I should post this here. Me and my husband had an International Homestudy done in April 2005. We adopted our daughter from Guatemala that same year.

We are now wanting to add to our family. We woould love a newborn this time around. Although we wouldn't trade our experience with our first daughter, oh how we longed to hold her when she was born. Watching through pictures was just not enough. So, we are excited about looking into domestic. Since our daughter is a little latina, we want our next baby to bi-racial or hispanic to keep adding to the beauty and color of our family.

We are just so nervous entering the adoption world again cause it puts your life in a whirlwind. As scary as it is, it is one of the most exciting and blessed times ever. We know this and can't wait.

So, anyway...I am wondering if we will have to completely re-do our homestudy or if we can just update it to be current and meet the needs of a domestic adoption. I thought they were good for like 5 years or something, but would need updated.

I have been reading so many posts on this forum and I just love the spirt and caring ways this agency seems to represent. Very, very hard to find!!!! I am sending in our Inquiry Application tomorrow even though we don't know what we will get back and haven't even spoken with anyone yet. Not sure if this is normal, but we're rolling with it. LOL :rolleyes: We just want some info and to see what lies ahead.

If anyone has any info or knows about the homestudy, I thank you in advance.

Jenny & Shawn

Hi. Major newbie here, so I'm not even sure if I should post this here. Me and my husband had an International Homestudy done in April 2005. We adopted our daughter from Guatemala that same year.

We are now wanting to add to our family. We woould love a newborn this time around. Although we wouldn't trade our experience with our first daughter, oh how we longed to hold her when she was born. Watching through pictures was just not enough. So, we are excited about looking into domestic. Since our daughter is a little latina, we want our next baby to bi-racial or hispanic to keep adding to the beauty and color of our family.

We are just so nervous entering the adoption world again cause it puts your life in a whirlwind. As scary as it is, it is one of the most exciting and blessed times ever. We know this and can't wait.

So, anyway...I am wondering if we will have to completely re-do our homestudy or if we can just update it to be current and meet the needs of a domestic adoption. I thought they were good for like 5 years or something, but would need updated.

I have been reading so many posts on this forum and I just love the spirt and caring ways this agency seems to represent. Very, very hard to find!!!! I am sending in our Inquiry Application tomorrow even though we don't know what we will get back and haven't even spoken with anyone yet. Not sure if this is normal, but we're rolling with it. LOL :rolleyes: We just want some info and to see what lies ahead.

Jenny & Shawn

Jenny & Shawn, Welcome to the forum! Congratulations, I have to say I love the comment describing your desires of adding to your family with beauty and color. Thank You! We feel the same way and are on our second journey with Abrazo. I'm loving the whirlwind, and yes, it is exciting and blessed. Hey, we've got walking, climbing jabbering 18 month old proof that this is the best decision we ever made!

While I cannot answer your question about your homestudy, especially being it is international, I know who can!!! Call the agency and ask to speak to Angela, she is the adoptive parent go to and get it solved! Best to you and your family! Enjoyed your post and hope to see you around more!

Nita

Jenny,

Before we adopted through Abrazo we where going through the process of adopting Int'l and had a home study done.

We had to do our homestudy all over as it is only good for 6 months and it has to be done with all the Texas laws.

When you call Abrazo they can and will answer whatever questions you have.... They have a wonderful staff and adopting through this agency will be a wonderful expereince.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Jenny & Shawn

Welcome Jenny! You've chosen a WONDERFUL place to continue your journey. We have found the most awesome support through Abrazo and this fabulous forum. Can't wait to follow your journey!

Welcome Jenny and Shawn!

Abrazo is the BEST! Stamp that envelope and send in that inquiry asap!!! Call the "girls" at Abrazo and talk to anyone and everyone. They're all great. Angela is the adoptive parent coordinator, though and Elizabeth is the number one diva/director. (All kidding aside--CALL) You'll be glad you did! :lol:

Jean

• 2 months later...

"Stamp that envelope and send in that inquiry asap!!!"

We've now done that a second time. First time is was sent on 3/31/07 via Certified mail and was never received. Second time was sent 4/25/07 and was received by Abrazo this week. Now, just anxiously awaiting approval for the next step.

Did I say ANXIOUSLY?

Okay, I'm trying to be patient. . .

Cathy Hendricks

Congratulations on getting that inquiry in to Abrazo. That is the first step to parenthood.

It is very hard to be patient, but the best things in life sometimes take a little bit of time.

Signed Me, a fellow impatient person ;)

Welcome Cathy and best of luck to you. It's such an exciting time, I can't believe it was me posting here a little over two months ago. I look forward to hearing some good news on your end!

Jenny

"Stamp that envelope and send in that inquiry asap!!!"

We've now done that a second time. First time is was sent on 3/31/07 via Certified mail and was never received. Second time was sent 4/25/07 and was received by Abrazo. Now, just anxiously awaiting approval for the next step.

Did I say ANXIOUSLY?

Okay, I'm trying to be patient. . .

Cathy Hendricks

Ahhhhh, yes... We do understand how difficult the waiting game can be. (We have to chuckle, we get calls all the time from folks who contact our office complaining that they sent in their paperwork "ages ago" yet when we pull their inquiries or applications, they've usually filled it out and sent it in within the past week or so. :rolleyes:) We gently remind them (as it says on our forms) that our processing time generally runs 2-4 weeks, remembering that we only accept as many applicants as we anticipate being able to place with in a year's time.

First priority is always (and necessarily) given to the entrance of:

(1) those who are accepting of the widest assortment of variables (ie., open to racial backgrounds other than "Anglo", children beyond infancy, non-multiples sibling groups, special needs, etc.), or

(2) Abrazo alum in good standing (ie., with annual reports in on time and consistent Camp Abrazo/Forum participation).

And, of course, we have to look for those homes that will likely appeal to the population of birthparents we serve, meaning we are in particular need of applicants who are childless couples and of minority descent, OR who are geographically appealing like Texans OR those whose demonstrated comfort level with openness will successfully outweigh their distance.

So for those who are anxiously awaiting a response to their already-submitted inquiries, thank you for your patience. Our family services coordinator will be in touch! Give her some time to thoughtfully consider your qualifications and where/if/when we can meet your needs.

Please know I completely understand the need to be patient. I also realize there is a 2-4 week approval period for the Inquiry.

I am just happy that my Inquiry finally reached you (Abrazo). I was so excited that we finally made the decision to send our first Inquiry in and then disappointed that it did not arrive. However, after sending e-mails to Elizabeth, talking to Angela, and Pamela, I decided I needed to send a secnd one in and not give up!

Based on what I read in the forum, I have no idea how you all (Abrazo) do what you do. Seems very impressive and important to both birthmothers and adoptive parents. Keep up the good work. I know you are doing what you all feel is best. I do hope we are able to work with you all soon!

Cathy

Cathy,

We too sent in our first inquiry and it never made it. So we did what you did and sent it in again. Almost four years later and two amazing Abrazo babes later we couldn't be happier :lol: .

Welcome to the fourm, we will all be cheering you on.

Jan

Welcome Cathy! Exciting times for you. The Forum is a nice place to be while waiting patiently. ;)

I'm reminded though that I should try calling again to see if our profile arrived. I did try calling a week ago but it seems it was an unbelievably busy time for the Abrazo gals. (Way to go girls!) Perhaps if Elizabeth is reading this, she might know if it was received?!

Hope in MO

I have become obssessed with sending everything either overnighted or with a tracking number. That way I know w/o ever placing a call that they did in fact receive it! It does cost a little more, but sure makes me feel better!

I have become obssessed with sending everything either overnighted or with a tracking number. That way I know w/o ever placing a call that they did in fact receive it! It does cost a little more, but sure makes me feel better!

I agree... worth the extra money

Perhaps if Elizabeth is reading this, she might know if it was received?!Hope in MO

I am, it was, and it's already on the Forum Parents-in-Waiting gallery, and getting sent out to potential birthparents!! Good job, y'all!

Congratulations Brian and Cathy on taking your first step! :D

Heather