INQUIRY

Guest Julie&Rick

Linda,

You will be given examples of the post-placement reports, so don't sweat those. It's really just an outline of your month and how things are going. I'd be happy to send you an example of one we sent (and Angela has said mine were good, especially my birthparent letters), when you need them. Just PM me with an email address and I can try to send it as an attachment (they're not short) or paste it into one or more emails.

I can't help you on the quarterly reports, because we didn't make it that long before Samuel arrived. I know there are lots of people here who could help you, though, but you might want to post that question in a different topic. This being the Inquiry topic, some more experienced PIWs may not be checking in all that often. I know that I don't read every thread for sheer lack of time.

You all are doing a great job of waiting, and I have really noticed how great you are at cheering your fellow orienteers on. I know they're all waiting to do the same for you.

Keep the faith,

Christina

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christina,

Thank you for the feedback. I just sent you a PM with my email address.

I think I can figure out the quarterly reports..... From what I understand they don't have to be long, they just want you to do them.

I think I'll work on them tonight as I have a fiew videos we've watched and books we've read....

Thanks again for your help...

Linda

Linda,

You will be given examples of the post-placement reports, so don't sweat those.  It's really just an outline of your month and how things are going.  I'd be happy to send you an example of one we sent (and Angela has said mine were good, especially my birthparent letters), when you need them.  Just PM me with an email address and I can try to send it as an attachment (they're not short) or paste it into one or more emails.

I can't help you on the quarterly reports, because we didn't make it that long before Samuel arrived.  I know there are lots of people here who could help you, though, but you might want to post that question in a different topic.  This being the Inquiry topic, some more experienced PIWs may not be checking in all that often.  I know that I don't read every thread for sheer lack of time.

You all are doing a great job of waiting, and I have really noticed how great you are at cheering your fellow orienteers on.  I know they're all waiting to do the same for you.

Keep the faith,

Christina

46688[/snapback]

• 4 weeks later...

What's the average age for AP's? I'm a bit surprised to see so many in the forty age group. Am I right or do the picture deceive me on the average age for everyone? Do BP have age preferences? I'm 43 so I'm nervous that I would be too old for a BP to consider.

Cathy

Edited by cdgni

I am 30 and my husband is 34 and we adopted last year. I would not worry about your age. When the "right match" comes along I do think it will be a big issue.

What's the average age for AP's? I'm a bit surprised to see so many in the forty age group. Am I right or do the picture deceive me on the average age for everyone? Do BP have age preferences? I'm 43 so I'm nervous that I would be too old for a BP to consider.

Cathy

Tim & I are in our mid/ late 30's.

Remember you are only as old as you think you are, :lol:.

There are many on the forum who are in your age bracket.

We were young when our DD entered our lives, late 20's....now we are more mature, Tim a lot grayer & walked the adoption route twice successfully.

Our family is complete, door closed but not locked just in case our children's birthparents would decide to make another adoption plan & would want us to raise that child as well.

Just remember there is always birthparents looking for more experienced, more established & more secure parents to place their child with.

My 2 cents on the subject, ;).

I am going to be 34 next week. I adopted my first son at 27 and my 2nd son at 29. My good friend also adopted through Abrazo and they were both in their mid 40's.

Sabrina

I think birthparents do struggle more with the age issue if:

(1) they (BPs) are younger and the adoptive parents are older than or as old as their own parents,

(2) they (BPS) are older but the adoptive parents have less marital longevity,

(3) the adoptive parents seem sedentary/inactive and seem to lack the capacity for a child-centered lifestyle, and/or

(4) the adoptive parent is single and older (arousing concerns about the child's future stability in the event of that parent's disability, illness or untimely demise).

More often than not, however, the factors that seem to hold more influence over Abrazo's birthparents' selection of adopting families seem to be how warm and genuinely caring the adopting parent/s is/are towards the birthparents; how open they are to children of varying backgrounds; and how comfortable they are with open adoption.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, well today we mailed our inquiry in to hopefully start the journey for our second angel!!! Our first wasn't placed thru Abrazo but we knew we wanted our second to be an Abrazo baby. We were due to be a part of the Summer Strollers July 05 but matched with our birth mom 3 weeks before. Both of us are very excited to start and be a part of the Abrazo family.

As far as the age thing goes with adoption- I was 29 and my husband was 31 when we began our adoption process..There were some birthparents who thought we were too young and wanted an older couple who were more established. Other birthparents did not have any issues with our ages...

It just all depends on what the birth parents are looking for....I know we spoke to several birthmoms who liked our profle b/c my husband is in the naval reserves.....

Every situation is different....

Don't give your age a second thought as the right match will happen for you and could be when you don't expect it....

Enjoy your time together now, get everything ready, and when things are meant to be it will happen....

Amy

Edited by orangepower

Guest andrea hatch

Hi all, well today we mailed our inquiry in to hopefully start the journey for our second angel!!! Our first wasn't placed thru Abrazo but we knew we wanted our second to be an Abrazo baby. We were due to be a part of the Summer Strollers July 05 but matched with our birth mom 3 weeks before. Both of us are very excited to start and be a part of the Abrazo family.

Michelle and Mike (and others)-

I've been reading for a while and just decided to jump in and see if I could figure this thing out. We sent our inquiry in around the same time, about 2 1/2 weeks ago and are anxiously awaiting a response so we can get started. It is aweaome to be able to read all the wonderful stories of those who have been there and done that. We are not technichally againers b/c we have never used Abrazo, but we did adopt our now 3yo son, Charlie, 2 years ago this month. We also felt led to Abrazo for our 2nd adoption and here we are! :)

Hi Andrea!!

Welcome to the forum and to Abrazo!! :D:D

I see that you are from TN, we would love to have you and your family to come on down to Memphis for our annual Southeast Abrazo Family Reunion. Just go to The Unites States of Adoption and then click on TN talk to find out more details. At the reunion you will meet lots of people from our great state who adopted through Abrazo and you will also meet families that Abrazo adopted!

Can't wait to hear more from you!!

I just bumped the info up about the reunion.

Hope to see you and your family there!! :)

Edited by melissamerritt

Andrea and Andy,

OMG...you all are from White House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a CRAZY small WORLD!!!!!!!!! My husband and I lived in Greenbrier for 5 years. We moved back to West TN. last summer to be closer to family.

Nice to meet you, neighbor!!! I look forward to following your story. We adopted Makayla while we still lived in Middle TN.

Abrazo rocks!!! :)

Your Friend,

Elaine

Guest andrea hatch

Andrea and Andy,

OMG...you all are from White House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a CRAZY small WORLD!!!!!!!!! My husband and I lived in Greenbrier for 5 years. We moved back to West TN. last summer to be closer to family.

Nice to meet you, neighbor!!! I look forward to following your story. We adopted Makayla while we still lived in Middle TN.

Abrazo rocks!!! :)

Your Friend,

Elaine

It is a small world! I have been reading about the reunion in Memphis and we would love to be able to meet all the great families, but we are having a party on the 26th to celebrate the 2nd anniversary of our son's adoption, we call it a Homecoming party. Otherwise, we would love to. I had no idea how many families were from TN, what a great support system.

Andrea,

Welcome to the forum. I am excited to follow your journey to baby number two.

We have two children adopted through another agency and are adopting our third through Abrazo. I'm excited to get to know you.

Heather

It is a small world! I have been reading about the reunion in Memphis and we would love to be able to meet all the great families, but we are having a party on the 26th to celebrate the 2nd anniversary of our son's adoption, we call it a Homecoming party. Otherwise, we would love to. I had no idea how many families were from TN, what a great support system.

If you have to miss the reunion, what better reason!! :)

Hi Andrea,

Just wanted to give you a big huge welcome to the forum and soooooo happy you found your way to Abrazo!!! Looking forward to following your journey and hope to meet you soon someday!

Wishing you the best and wishing Charlie a very Happy Homecoming Day!!!

Lisa :)

Michelle and Mike (and others)-

I've been reading for a while and just decided to jump in and see if I could figure this thing out. We sent our inquiry in around the same time, about 2 1/2 weeks ago and are anxiously awaiting a response so we can get started. It is aweaome to be able to read all the wonderful stories of those who have been there and done that. We are not technichally againers b/c we have never used Abrazo, but we did adopt our now 3yo son, Charlie, 2 years ago this month. We also felt led to Abrazo for our 2nd adoption and here we are! :)

There are so many TN families!!! I am from Nashville and live in NC now. My husband is in the army and we are stationed at Ft Bragg. We have been here for 5 years. I miss TN so much!!! I do visit often since all my family is there. We aren't againers either our son was from another agency actually out of Indiana. Which orientation are you hoping to attend??? Congrats on your up coming 2 year homecoming!!! Welcome to the forum!

Guest andrea hatch

I'm not sure what the orientation schedule is like, so I really have no idea when we will end up there. Of course, the sooner the better. We are still waiting for our app and we haven't done anything to start a homestudy, but that will just be an update for us, so shouldn't take too long.

Micheele- Where in Nashville are you from? Did you go to school in Nashville? I am also amazed at all the TN connections! My husband's family now lives in NC, so we visit there often as well.

Anyway, it seems we may be on the same time schedule. I look forward to following you journey.

Edited by andrea hatch

I'm not sure what the orientation schedule is like, so I really have no idea when we will end up there. Of course, the sooner the better. We are still waiting for our app and we haven't done anything to start a homestudy, but that will just be an update for us, so shouldn't take too long.

Micheele- Where in Nashville are you from? Did you go to school in Nashville? I am also amazed at all the TN connections! My husband's family now lives in NC, so we visit there often as well.

Anyway, it seems we may be on the same time schedule. I look forward to following you journey.

Hey there, I grew up in Antioch and went to Antioch High School, class of 91. I miss home so much but then again its nice to be 1 1/2 hours to the beach!!!! Where is your husbands family in NC?? I am so jealous of all the TN people, I think I am all alone over here in NC. I usually visit TN 3-4 times a year.

As far as the orientation schedule there is one Sept 8th, I think and then in November. We are hoping to be invited to the November one but we shall see!! Hopefully we can attend the same weekend. From the sound of it, orientation seems incredible. I can't wait to attend. I look forward to following your journey as well!!

I am so jealous of all the TN people, I think I am all alone over here in NC.

Actually, no! You're in good company in North Carolina, because Abrazo has literally hundreds of alumni in that area. From 1994-2000 or so, our agency placed zoodles of children in those parts, largely because of our association with the Datz Foundation, the Children's Home Society, and a huge adoptive parent support group in Charlotte called "S.P.A.F.A." (Southern Piedmont Adoptive Families of America) which is still going strong but has had a greater organizational emphasis on international adoption (rather than domestic) in recent years.

The Forum wasn't launched until after that era, so there aren't so many of those folks active in our online community, but they are out there, and we'll be happy to put you in touch, if you wish! :)

Guest andrea hatch

Hey there, I grew up in Antioch and went to Antioch High School, class of 91. I miss home so much but then again its nice to be 1 1/2 hours to the beach!!!! Where is your husbands family in NC?? I am so jealous of all the TN people, I think I am all alone over here in NC. I usually visit TN 3-4 times a year.

As far as the orientation schedule there is one Sept 8th, I think and then in November. We are hoping to be invited to the November one but we shall see!! Hopefully we can attend the same weekend. From the sound of it, orientation seems incredible. I can't wait to attend. I look forward to following your journey as well!!

Hey Michelle, apparently you are not alone in NC! It's great to hear about all the families that are Abrazo connected. I had never even heard of Abrazo until about 6 months ago.

Andy's family lives in Goldsboro NC, I'm not sure how far that is from where you are. I think there is some sort of military base there as well. I grew up in Madison, Tn and Andy grew up in Hermiage. We all graduated around the same time. It is indeed a small world! I am jealous that you are that close to the beach. I would love to live closer some day.

As far as orientation, it would be great to be invited to the weekend in November, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, we haven't even seen an app yet. I was hoping that with the second adoption, I wouldn't feel as antsy and impatient, but I can feel those feelings creeping back in, even this early in the game! I just get so excited when I read about all the babies going home :)

Andrea, we are about 1 1/2 hours to Goldsboro, so not to far!!! I know what you mean about being antsy, my son is not even 1 yet. I am ready to start the process though!! I know that its all God's timing reguardless of how antsy we get though. I love reading about all the placements, brings back all the feelings of adopting Hunter. He is our little angel. I know you feel the same. Did you adopt from an agency in TN?? If so which one?? My best friend is still in TN actually in Franklin and they have adopted as well. Okay I am off to enjoy some quite time with hubbie since the little one is tucked in for the night, HOPEFULLY!!! Talk to you soon.

Guest andrea hatch

I know that its all God's timing reguardless of how antsy we get though.

I second that! We have no doubts that Charlie was meant to be a part of our family, and what a HUGE blessing that he is. Things don't happen on our time schedule, they happen on His.

As far as Charlie, we actually adopted him from Russia, the middle of Siberia to be exact. It was a wonderful experience, as I am sure the next one will be also.

As far as Charlie, we actually adopted him from Russia, the middle of Siberia to be exact. It was a wonderful experience, as I am sure the next one will be also.

Russia , thats awesome!!! I have a friend in TN who adopted from China. We have had a wonderful experience with our birth family, they live in Indiana. We don't see them often but we do talk. We have an open adoption with them. I am hoping our next experience will be just as awesome!!! We are planning on visiting them when we visit Nashville in September, I can't wait to get home. I am planning on being there for all most 2 weeks!!! YEAH!!! Okay, off to catch Hunter is in to everything!! Talk to you soon.

Edited by michelle&mike