INQUIRY

Guest Julie&Rick

Still breathlessly waiting! Today is 3 weeks since we mailed in the application, and a phone call revealed that we are "pending!" Pending is good! I can handle pending! Thank you all for welcoming us so warmly! Hopefully we'll hear something in a week or two and know if we can take that next step!

Rebecca and Corey

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still breathlessly waiting! Today is 3 weeks since we mailed in the application, and a phone call revealed that we are "pending!" Pending is good! I can handle pending! Thank you all for welcoming us so warmly! Hopefully we'll hear something in a week or two and know if we can take that next step!

Rebecca and Corey

That is great news!!!

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Corey & Rebecca to the Forum!

This is definitely a place that you will go to often for answers to the many questions you might have along the way. It is a great community of caring, loving people who know exactly how you feel. I wish you the best and can't wait to follow your journey.

Donna

Welcome to the Forum, Corey and Rebecca!

• 2 weeks later...

We want to say THANK YOU! to all of you for your positive energy! Corey and I got the packet about a week and a half ago and are working diligently to gather all of our information and answer the essay questions! We have gotten sidetracked by home renovations (part of our "getting ready for baby") but hope to mail it in next week. GOD BLESS YOU ALL! Have a great weekend!

Corey and Rebecca

Good luck with the home renovations..you definitely need to get that type of stuff done now because once the baby comes home there is NO time. And if there is time all you want to do is sleep. :D

Michelle,

Welcome! Welcome! I would go ahead and send in the initial application so that is one less thing you have to do. They will then let you know when the next orientation weekend is so you can prepare for that. That weekend is a blast!! And one that you will never forget! There is a lot of information everywhere in the forum so if you have questions they are probably already answered or you can ask one of us oldies. B)

Donna

Donna:

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. We are very excited about starting the process but are waiting for some direction on when to cut off infertility treatments. Adoption is part of our plan with/without infertility issues but it's a matter of when. I hope I am not alone in this thinking. :) We want to make the best decision for us and our future child/BP. Does Abrazo prefer a certain amount of waiting time between ending fertility treatments and acceptance into the Full Service Program? We definitely have documented infertility issues.

Thanks again for all of your help.

If anyone else wants to chime in that would be great too!!! :)

Michelle,

Correct me if I am wrong, Elizabeth but I think the biggest thing is to make sure that you have resolved all of the feelings of wanting/desiring to be pregnant, having a biological child, are you really done with infertility treatments,etc... before you move forward with Abrazo. If I am not mistaken (it has been several years since we filled out the initial paperwork) they want you to have closure on that so you can move ahead with accepting a child that may not look like you or have your DNA. Does that make sense? My husband and I took several years off after our last procedure but when we came back to the drawing board it didn't matter to us if our child(ren) had our DNA or looked like either one of us and so on. And I might say that our kids are more beautiful than if we had given birth to them ourselves. :);)

Donna

Donna did a good job of touching on the emotional resolvement of moving from infertility treatments to adoption. If you already have your mind on adoption, you are part of the way there. You may also want to check out the book "Adopting After Infertility" by Patricia Irwin Johnston.

We had only a short time between ending treatments and starting the adoption process, because we too already had adoption on our minds. Unfortunately our first eight months was with the wrong agency. Then we found Abrazo!

Best wishes to you Michelle!

Generally, Abrazo's couples must be at least six months past the final cessation of fertility treatment efforts before attending orientation... that way, they've had time to be sure they're done with the quest to produce a biological child, and they've had time to grieve these losses before taking on the new losses that are typically encountered while riding the adoption rollercoaster.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I have not posted in quite a while. My husband and I have ended our fertility treatments now and plan to adopt. We are waiting on a return call from a representative to ask the final questions that we have regarding the Abrazo Agency. As I have mentioned in previous posts, we were referred to your agency from some friends who have adopted with you and have all good things to say. I had a question regarding infertility. After 4 years of trying to conceive we have done multiple IUI, IVF and had 2 miscarriages. We have ended this for now. However we may in the future (2-3 years) want to try IVF again and we have considered getting on the embryo donation waiting list with our GYN. Would we still be accepted with Abrazo with this or do you have to end fertility treatments with the intention of never trying to conceive again. Thanks for your help. Just trying to collect some information before sending in the inquiry.

Pam

Thank you for your continued interest in Abrazo.

Please note: our full-service placement program is intended for those who have confirmed infertility and thus have no known alternative means of becoming parents except through adoption.

The birthparents with whom we work generally choose the adopting parents they do because they wish to entrust their child to a couple who can never have children biologically.

If you are capable of pursuing future pregnancies (whether through IVF, embryo donation or other means), then the programs available to you at Abrazo would instead be the designated program or the special needs program, either of which do allow those capable of achieving future pregnancies to qualify.

As a private, nonprofit agency, we receive hundreds of requests for information from potential adopters per week, so we necessarily devote our limited budget for returned- call toll expenses to those with paperwork already on file. Please feel free to call back during business hours, should you have additional questions for our Family Services department or if you wish to speak with a representative. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Congrats! I thought you were already actively waiting for a child. Italian is my favorite!

Heather :)

Thanks, Melanie and Heather!

We asked our daughter if she would like to have a little brother or a little sister, and she said "a brother AND a sister. I play Snoopy with a brother and ponies with a sister."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! My husband Steven and I live in Memphis, TN and mailed in our inquiry on 2/18, so we're just waiting patiently to see if we can move on to the next step! We're learning so much from the forum in the meantime and are so thankful that everyone is so open so that we have the opportunity to learn while we wait. :D

Edited by Steven&Melissa

Welcome to the group!!! You will have a great support group in Memphis.

Heather :)

Does anybody know if it is necessary to own your home vs. renting? My husband and I currently own our home in a suburb, but he got a new job in the city. We were thinking of putting our house on the market so we could move closer to his job and therefore he would get home earlier. I just have fears that renting wouldn't be accepted by the agency or the birth mothers? I have no idea???

Any advice would be very helpful!!