APPLICATION

linlacor

The adoption of our youngest son is also wide open. His birthmother actually works for us! We are constantly learning new tricks, however, with this whole adoption thing. Just when you think you've got it all figured out... :rolleyes: It's wonderful to have a place to come and share experiences with others.

• 1 year later...

Wow, this thread has been pretty quiet for the past year. Guess everyone is breezing through the application.

What a week! Work has been nuttier than usual and just when I wanted to focus on the application, sheez. But we are now 99% there - woo hoo - and just have to print some pictures tomorrow. Craig and I were working on our essay questions together, an interesting experiment for Mr. Two Sentences and Mrs. Four Paragraphs. Our conclusion: brevity is a skill I just don't have! (Sorry to the Abrazochicks who have to read those - just skim if you must!) We're also debating how many pictures it means by "send photos of you and your home." I tend to like pictures while Craig is whispering overkill overkill :unsure:. We've also had a heartwarming week with our friends as they talk about their reference letters for us and how excited they are getting.

So here's a question. I think our application packet should have included a registration form for the Parents of Tomorrow Weekend, yes/no? We got an information sheet about it - how fun it is and how the days are planned. At first I thought I was getting ahead of the process, but the cover letter invites us to return the registration form with a check. I wrote the check just in case the form can be faxed later. Any thoughts?

Amy

Amy-

If I remember correctly, I think we turned in everything all at one time {app, monies, etc}. Call Angela if you having any questions, she works with the AP.

Again welcome to Abrazo!

On the photos of your home I think it says it wants photos of your whole home - I sent one photo of every room and one shot of each outside angle as well. I think that is how another member of our orientation group interpreted it as well as I remember her talking about cleaning as she went.

Good luck!

On the photos of your home I think it says it wants photos of your whole home - I sent one photo of every room and one shot of each outside angle as well. I think that is how another member of our orientation group interpreted it as well as I remember her talking about cleaning as she went.

Good luck!

That's right... we took a photo of every room in our house (just 1 photo - not every angle) and that included things like the bathroom and the breakfast nook. I think we also included a shot from the front (wide) and one of the back yard. I included (I think) 4 shots of us together and 1 photo of us individually.

And yes, there was an orientation sheet in the application that we filled out (it asked for your preference of dates) and also asked for your size T-shirt. We sent that in with payment all at once. Not sure if it was intentional that they left it out this go-around (still determining exact dates, maybe?) but like Suzi said, Angela always knows!

Congrats on accomplishing so much so fast! So many will attest that it's not "if," but "when!" and I know it's exciting to be on your way!!

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one cleaning, de-cluttering, and then snapping photos. Our neighbor probably thinks we're moving since I was out taking house shots in the front yard. :rolleyes:

Post office here I come!!!

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one cleaning, de-cluttering, and then snapping photos. Our neighbor probably thinks we're moving since I was out taking house shots in the front yard. :rolleyes:

Post office here I come!!!

Congratulations on getting that step done :)

Thanks guys. We've tried to take it easy this week and not stress on starting the profile or homestudy stuff just yet. But I keep coming back to the forum - too interesting to stay away!

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

So Amy...you are currently working on the big packet? Hoping to get to an Orientation this summer?

We're gonna tackle this thing and get it in ASAP. I am assuming we have to turn in this packet before they firm up a date for the orientation? Is that how it works?

We are in the paper gathering phase for our homestudy, too.

Good thing is that we are both teachers and we are out for the summer so we are not going to let this app. gather dust!

I'm ready to get it back in. Hope I can knock out a big chunk tomorrow.

Let me know how y'all are doing. :rolleyes:

Hi Allie,

I was posting on the die hard tweener page exactly as you were writing this! I see we are both night owls, except I have to work tomorrow - bummer. Out for summer would be soooo nice.

We sent our application in about 3 weeks ago. When we got it, it took us about a week to contact our friends for letters, get the doc letter, and write out our essay responses. If you get big chunks of time you will get it done pretty fast. There were a few things that we had to discuss and sleep on before completing the "willing to accept checklist" - that was a little hard for us.

We talked to Angela last week about the late June Orientation - the last weekend. I am just waiting on the confirmation paperwork and getting excited to see who else will be there. She didn't mention how many people they have already or anything so you may want to call and see if you are working on a deadline for that application :)

I am eager to start our homestudy. Angela was going to send me more information about that since we're in Houston - but I'm sure they are very busy and we've been focusing on painting over the holiday weekend and this week. My mom is flying into town for my birthday next weekend and we might (gasp) go baby shopping for the first time! I'm sort of excited but still have those doubts about ever being in the mommy club, but I've got to start believing right?

Thanks for checking in and keep me posted,

Amy

Do the doc letter and 3 reference letters need to go directly to Abrazo?? If so, Uh-ooooh. I am having them sent to me so I can send them in all together in the packet. Did I already screw up?

Good idea to call and try to get an idea for a deadline for our app if we need to come to the June/July orientation.

May get Ross to do that in the morning. OK, so I'm still confused (don't be surprised)...After we send in this packet, we will get another one with the orientation invitation? :o

I don't think it's a problem to collect the items and include with your packet. We included the doc letter but had the reference letters sent directly so I wouldn't have to wait if one was a straggler.

For the orientation invitation - our packet included an information sheet but not anything to sign or state your preferred weekend or anything but I went ahead and sent our deposit just in case. So (I think) what I'm waiting on is just something to sign and send back and then Melissa had mentioned getting sample profiles at some point - which I really need because I feel creatively stumped.

Hope this helps and I'm not steering you wrong. As said all over the forum - Angela knows best :)

...and then Melissa had mentioned getting sample profiles at some point - which I really need because I feel creatively stumped.

That's right! :) You'll get a few samples, but you'll also notice quite a few forum members are happy to help out an dshow you their full profiles so that you can see a big variety.

The biggest take-away for us was: more/bigger photos, less writing. We came from an agency that stressed putting a lot of info in the profile because you wouldn't necessarily get a chance to meet with or talk to birthmoms. Here, they get a "feeling" about you, or an initial impression, from your profile, which sparks interest in wanting to actually speak to you and get to know you better. So, more visuals, less wording!

Hi everyone! I've been reading the forums but this is my first post. We completed our application a few weeks back and are hoping to attend the June/July orientation weekend. We're very excited to begin this journey and look forward to getting to know all of you!

Sue and Nate

Welcome Sue and Nate. Sounds like we are at about the same spot in the process. Hopefully we will meet at the next orientation! Angela told me today that they are trying to finalize the date this week. For the sake of progress I've been chugging away at our profile today and can't seem to make myself stop :o

Very glad to see you on the forum.

Amy and Craig

Allie - are you guys going to get the application in by the July Orientation? No pressure, just hoping...

Hi everyone! I've been reading the forums but this is my first post. We completed our application a few weeks back and are hoping to attend the June/July orientation weekend. We're very excited to begin this journey and look forward to getting to know all of you!

Sue and Nate

WElcome welcome!

Sue and Nate

Welcome Sue/Nate and Allie/Ross! It's exciting to see new families on the forum before orientation! You'll find so much information here and support, too. Can't wait to follow your journies and be sure to ask questions along the way!!

Welcome to the Abrazo Forum Allie & Ross and Sue and Nate!!

You will find a wealth of knowledge around here. We can't wait to follow your journey to parenthood!

Hey yall.

Update on us: We spoke with one of the nice Abrazo ladies who said that if we get our packet in this week, we can still be considered for the June/July Orientation. So you know what THAT means? We got into high gear and got it completed, copied, and ready to go. Will put it in the mail tomorrow. Hoping and Praying we still have a shot.

Hey yall.

Update on us: We spoke with one of the nice Abrazo ladies who said that if we get our packet in this week, we can still be considered for the June/July Orientation. So you know what THAT means? We got into high gear and got it completed, copied, and ready to go. Will put it in the mail tomorrow. Hoping and Praying we still have a shot.

Edited by Allie & Ross

Hey yall.

That would be exciting, good luck!

Hey yall.

Good job guys! Isn't it such a relief to send it off? We are still waiting on the date - want to be able to put it on the calendar and count down the days!

Hey yall.

Yay! That's great news! Congrats on getting that step done. We hope to see you at the orientation soon! :)

Go Allie & Ross---that was us 2 years ago in Jan 08. We stepped it up and got it together in recorded time....and the rest is history!!! Our lives were forever changed! Best of luck!