APPLICATION

linlacor

Guest chadandshannon

You can now make a huge sigh of relief -- for a little while anyway! Good luck on your journey. It has gone by so fast for us. We just attended the March Orientation -- it was an awesome and reassuring experience for us all! Keep us updated on your progress!

Good Luck,

smile.gif Shannon

Amy,

Congrats on getting your application in! That is wonderful. Hopefully, you will get to go to Orientation this summer. My husband and I attended the March Orientation, and we had a blast.

Have a safe trip to College Station. I have relatives there too!

Elaine

• 2 months later...

Our full application was received by Abrazo on Tuesday of this past week (May 31). How long is the time b/t them receiving it and sending out the Acceptance packet? We will be on vacation and I noticed you only had 10 days before returning.

The true acceptance packet is handed out to attendees of orientation at the end of that weekend and it has a 10 day deadline. As far as further communication from Abrazo after your application is in, that will come in the form of being invited to attend an orientation weekend. That could come unofficially on the phone followed by the official packet in a few days. You can always call and check with Angela, etc.

Christina

The true acceptance packet is handed out to attendees of orientation at the end of that weekend and it has a 10 day deadline.  As far as further communication from Abrazo after your application is in, that will come in the form of being invited to attend an orientation weekend.  That could come unofficially on the phone followed by the official packet in a few days.  You can always call and check with Angela, etc.

Christina

16588[/snapback]

Thanks! I was wprried it would come right as we left and then us not have enough time to get it done when we get back!!

The true acceptance packet is handed out to attendees of orientation at the end of that weekend and it has a 10 day deadline.  As far as further communication from Abrazo after your application is in, that will come in the form of being invited to attend an orientation weekend.  That could come unofficially on the phone followed by the official packet in a few days.  You can always call and check with Angela, etc.

Christina

16588[/snapback]

Thanks! I was wprried it would come right as we left and then us not have enough time to get it done when we get back!!

16590[/snapback]

I just noticed your kiddos and your hometown...are you from Lubbock?

• 2 weeks later...
Not originally, but we have lived here since 2001, this time.  We also lived here from 94-98.

Christina

16596[/snapback]

We have lived here since 1999...small world!

It is a small world! PM me if you would like to talk or meet some time. There are 6 families in the Lubbock area (not including you) and we try to get together once a quarter. We'd love to have you join us.

Christina

Dear mlw,

We are trying to nail down a date to do another adoption group meeting. We would love to see you there. I will post when we have final details.

Bobbi

Dear mlw,

We are trying to nail down a date to do another adoption group meeting.  We would love to see you there.  I will post when we have final details.

Bobbi

16833[/snapback]

sounds great!

• 9 months later...

Stephanie and all of the other people who courageously raise special needs children i applaud you. I know no one gets into a pregnancy, or adoption planning on havng a special needs baby. Im sure you dont regret one minute of it and that God brought you to the children who needed you the most.

Just thought I would share our little exprience (don't even know if it would be considered a correctible condition) but I think back and am happy I checked the ok box or maybe Miller wouldn't be with us today.

13416[/snapback]

I know this post is over a year old but I thought I would say that we, too, have experienced the joy of raising a special child! Our second daughter's birthmom had a long and difficult labor, and long story short, Isabel was born without a heartbeat and/or breathing for eight minutes after birth. Consequently, she experienced brain swelling and neonatal seizures her first night of life. Unbeknownst to us, the doctors told her birthfamily at the time that Isabel would either die or be a "vegetable." While we didn't know the full extent of her condition, we did know it was serious and we did have those who asked us whether we were still going to adopt her ... after all, this wasn't what we had "bargained for."

I am just so thankful that God gave us His peace that Isabel was meant to be our daughter, come what may. By His grace she was released from the NICU eight days later, and while she has mild cerebral palsy that affects her gait and balance, she is an intelligent, beautiful, independent girl who doesn't let anything hold her back. Last summer, she and our oldest daughter were radiant flower girls in Isabel's birthmom's wedding. Raising Isabel is a challenge and a delight ... and I am so glad we didn't miss this!

31105[/snapback]

Stephanie,

You are a special person (mom)... Your children are very lucky to have you...

And I'm sure you feel blessed to have them also.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone. My husband and I have just sent in our application and are now on pins and needles waiting to find out if we made it in time for the September orientation. (I've been "lurking" in this forum for about two weeks. There is some AMAZING information here!)

This will be our first child and we are so excited. We've been planning for this baby for years. We just didn't have a clue where he or she would come from!

I'm glad to see there are other "newbies" out there. Maybe somebody could give provide a dictionary for what some of the acronyms mean. I'm new to this whole chatting thing and I want to make sure I get it right.

Anyone else heading to Texas from Virginia?

Guest BeachMama

Hi, Ellouise! We are newbies too - like you waiting for our application to be processed and hoping to be included in September's orientation!

We'd be coming from Maryland!! Where in Virginia are you?

Hi everyone. My husband and I have just sent in our application and are now on pins and needles waiting to find out if we made it in time for the September orientation. (I've been "lurking" in this forum for about two weeks. There is some AMAZING information here!)

This will be our first child and we are so excited. We've been planning for this baby for years. We just didn't have a clue where he or she would come from!

I'm glad to see there are other "newbies" out there. Maybe somebody could give provide a dictionary for what some of the acronyms mean. I'm new to this whole chatting thing and I want to make sure I get it right.

No WAY are you in Rockville! We're just down the beltway in Centreville.

I think the Abrazo note about "general" information was probably directed at us. I was just about to call and make sure they got the application -- even though I sent it Express mail and got the confirmation myself. We're just a little anxious, can't you tell!

Guest BeachMama

Wow - we are very close! I do hope that we get to attend the same orientation - then we can wait for our children together (this will be our first child too!)

Believe me - we are as anxious as you. As of tomorrow, Abrazo will have had our application for 4 weeks - we have a little complication because we've worked with other agencies before and they have to take extra time to contact them for references.

I lost pretty much ALL of my patience about 2 weeks ago, but I truly understand the process and I know that all of the ladies at Abrazo are incredibly busy making families happen. That's why we chose them.

So, I'm trying to keep my mind off things these days!

(P.S. - what you said about having the confirmation of your Express mail made me laugh - we have a website for our expected child and I've actually posted screen shots of the online Fed-Ex delivery receipt I got when the package arrived in Abrazo's hands! Yep, I know ALL about being anxious!)

Edited by BeachMama

Ellouise,

Don't worry, we are all here for you to help in any way we can. Adoptive Parent is correct, or once you have signed up with Abrazo, you are a Parent in Waiting. The mother of the baby is Birthmother and father, Birthfather. We use "place for adoption" and not baby was given away or given up. Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything.

Hope you are able to attend orientation in September. We'll be there sharing our story as Adoptive Parents or parents now!! We have a 14 mo. old who we adopted in June 2005.

Best wishes,

Edited by MarceloandClaudia

No WAY are you in Rockville! We're just down the beltway in Centreville.

I think the Abrazo note about "general" information was probably directed at us. I was just about to call and make sure they got the application -- even though I sent it Express mail and got the confirmation myself. We're just a little anxious, can't you tell!

Just sent ya a PM.

We are in the Shenandoah Valley.

Looking forward to following another Virginia family on their journey!!

Hi Ellouise - Welcome, welcome to the Forum! I was a bit overwhelmed with the lingo - and I still am finding new things on the Forum. I tell you what, this is a great way to connect with everyone and learn about how wonderful open adoption really is.

Orientation is amazing, and it is definitely lots of information. There was so much bonding that went on for Chip and me - we have made some lifelong friends there! It's pretty amazing how many gifts have been given to us - and how many are on the way. You are in for a ride!!! We chose Abrazo because it was clear that the ladies of Abrazo absolutely have the best interest of the child at the center. Angels helping angels.

We went to the January orientation, and although we knew a little about open adoption - this was a true eye-opener. We've never looked back since, and it has been a great thing to explain open adoption to family and friends!

The truth is - there are people all over the country that have you in prayer right now!!! Isn't that incredible?!? So welcome again :)

Laura

I'll admit to being anxious to the point of obsession myself before we were "approved" by Abrazo. I called to tell them that we had sent in the final application... and to check to see if they had gotten it... and to see what the status was. (In my defense, we have a really unreliable mail system, since we live overseas... but still). Once they had the application but before we were accepted, I was on the forum watching everyone get accepted into the July orientation, and was really worried that they were being accepted and we hadn't been yet. I was absolutely obsessing about why Abrazo might not want to accept us-- I even had my normally very sane and even-tempered husband getting in on the act. It was almost like dating again (ugh!) and worrying when the guy would call. I thought I had left all of that behind when I met my husband 5 years ago... :P

Now that we're going to the September orientation, and we just got our packet with the sample profiles... I'm obsessing about finishing our profile and making it look perfect! I guess I'm going to just keep moving my obsessions forward until I can finally obsess about rasing a child, huh?

Hope we can meet up with you at the September orientation!

Lauren

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! We just heard back from Abrazo last night and they are sending the application packet out to us!! I guess that means our inquiry looked good to them??? If I'm understanding this right, we get the application packet back to them and then they set us up for orientation??? We're very excited! Been working on the nursery and just finished our home inspection for the homestudy. We've already had our physicals and two interviews also! I've just read through this whole topic of posts and it is so encouraging to see you guys who were once in my shoes, now having their little ones to show for all of their work and patience! I hope that one day I can be posting a beautiful photo of my child instead of the one of my husband and me!

Amanda,

Congratulations on your inquiry victory! That's step one. Now you fill out the application along with all the other things you have so dilligently completed and the agency will review your file. They will then accept or deny entry into one of the two programs they offer for adoptive couples. Read and consider the questions carefully. Respond from your heart. Then if Abrazo feels that you are a good match for their philosophy and agency, you will hear that you have been accepted into one of the programs. Then you are ready to be invited to an orientation. The orientation invitations are based on of the needs that the agency sees for the next twelve months. For example, if you are a couple who already has a child and want to return for number two and they already have 8 couples in their pool with the same type of situation, they may schedule you for an orientation further down the road because they don't want to accept more than they can reasonably expect to place within 12 months. I do know that upon occassion, if you have all your paper work in and there is a case or birthmom that the agency feels would be a perfect match, they might share your profile or information with that birthmom ahead of orientation. So, no, the application completion is not an automatic invitation to orientation, but it is the only way to get there if you are indeed going to partner with Abrazo to realize your dreams of parenthood. Also, realize that some couples, not many, but some, complete the application, attend orientation and then opt not to go with Abrazo because of differences in philosophy or whatever. So, not to be a downer :ph34r: , but to give you the real head's up, FILL OUT THAT APPLICATION! BE HONEST AND SPEAK FROM YOUR HEARTS, then HAVE FAITH THAT GOD WILL LEAD YOU TO WHATEVER IS BEST FOR YOU. Isn't it great how that works? And, who knows? There have been a few very lucky/blessed couples who have gone to orientation on Friday and ended up as parents before the weekend was through. AND some who never even made it to orientation, we call them the "tweeners" (I am one of those). So....if you haven't already, think about your limitations--what are you looking for, dreaming of, able to handle......discuss it, research it, and then get it on the application! I wish you the best of luck. And you and your husband look fabulous! Savor that. It is one of God's blessings to you as well.

Okay, enough rambling.......