Homestudy Updates

Guest jandlcorn

Debra,

Sorry, I missed this post and therefore didn't reply...Well, my fingerprints still didn't completely scan, but the girl said they would match it up with the first ones and be able to use that???? I don't have a clue how that works, but she seemed to. Anyway, we should know in a couple of weeks. We are about 90% done with our home study. We've had the physicals and need to get a few more forms in. Then we can be approved, and they can start showing our profile.

Our profile...well, first we need to update it, add pictures, etc. Although I'd rather use the ones from five years ago, I have aged slightly laugh.gif and don't want to be deceptive! It's going to be hard to find pictures of me and Larry together and ones without Joshua in them!! We may have to stage some!

I'll keep you all posted! But I'm preparing myself to "hurry and WAIT." It'll be a pleasant surprise if things move quickly.

Susan biggrin.gif

Edited by suebee

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, mine fingerprints still didn't completely scan,

29490[/snapback]

Sooooo Susan, whatcha hiding???? Some past crime??? tongue.gif

Can't wait to hear more about your journey. I am hoping that the hurry up and wait will be very short!!

Abrazo recently heard from an out-of-state couple who had to pay $4K for just a homestudy update!!! blink.gif

Please, please, shop around... while folks are often reluctant to question social workers for fear of offending them, the profession does still require accountability and we can't imagine how any agency could justify this kind of update fee-- no matter how reputable an agency seems to be.

Abrazo recently heard from an out-of-state couple who had to pay $4K for just a homestudy update!!!  blink.gif

Please, please, shop around... while folks are often reluctant to question social workers for fear of offending them, the profession does still require accountability and we can't imagine how any agency could justify this kind of update fee-- no matter how reputable an agency seems to be.

30022[/snapback]

Our homestudy update would have been $375

Our homestudy was $1200 with each additional visit as needed at $325

If any folks are in the MD/VA/DC area we would highly recommend Adoptions Together -- they did our homestudy and are now doing our post-placement.

Susan

Edited by Susan

I'll add my 2 cents here.

Depending on where you live your resources can be limiting for homestudy agencies. In our case, we had 2 options a sorta local route or out-of-town & pay lots for mileage...we went the sorta local route.

We live in Virginia. While Abrazo told us that we need to just up date our homestudy, we actually had to re-do the entire thing b/c of time between when it was done orginally & doing it for this adoption, make sure you check w/ your state for it's requirements too.

Also considering, the requirements of Abrazo for the homestudy to be signed by a MSW is something to take into consideration. Luckily, the agency that did our homestudy had a MSW on staff.

I guess you just gotta make sure your 'I' is dotted & 'T' crossed.

I don't remember the exact cost of our main homestudy but I think our update (which we had done a few months ago here in West Texas) ran about $350.

Our homestuday was about $650.00 and the updates were about $75.00 each.

I live in South Texas, "The Valley" where everything seems to be pretty economical.

In Memphis TN. . .

Our original homestudy was $600; post placement visits $250.

Our update was $500; post placement visits $250.

Although nothing had changed from our first homestudy to our update (except for the addition of our daughter smile.gif ), we still had to complete all the paperwork, physicals, background checks, etc. for the update for our second daugher. The update was done 7 months after our first daughter's finalization.

Rhonda

Although nothing had changed from our first homestudy to our update (except for the addition of our daughter  smile.gif ), we still had to complete all the paperwork, physicals, background checks, etc. for the update for our second daugher.  The update was done 7 months after our first daughter's finalization.

Rhonda

30170[/snapback]

Rhonda,

Are you telling us something?!?! Do you have a new set of little pitterpats around your house???

Please tell!

Well. . . . biggrin.gif

Our 2nd sweet bundle of joy was born on Sept 13, 2005, 5 lbs 11 oz, 18 inches long, and lovingly placed in our arms by her birthmother and birthbrother on Sept 15, 2005. After we finalized Alana’s adoption in December, we had decided to relax, enjoy parenthood and begin our 2nd adoption journey in January 2006. wink.gif Well, I’m sure God was chuckling at “our” plans as He had plans of his own. To make a long story short. . . a co worker of mine was adopting her first child and I was offering a shoulder/ear for support. She knew we were hoping to adopt again and in conversations with her social worker had mentioned this. The social worker knew of a young birthmother who was having difficulty finding the right adoptive family for her unborn little girl. We fit to a tee the criteria the BP had. They contacted us to see if we were interested, and after much prayer. . . knew in our hearts God was guiding us and said yes. The BP contacted us July 18 and we matched the very same day. After quickly updating our homestudy and getting things organized for a 2nd little one . . .we went to meet our BP and her son, were able to be apart of our daughter’s delivery into the world, and spent 10 wonderful days visiting/bonding with our new extended family. We thank God everyday for both our girls, the wonderful ladies who brought them into the world, and the very special friend who was there for one of them. Borrowing the words from another forum friend. . .God is great, ALL the time!!!!!

Rhonda biggrin.gif

(a.k.a. Alana and Sara's mommy)

What a wonderful story!!! Congratulations on the new addition to your family! biggrin.gif

• 6 months later...

bumping this informative topic for my fish friends as the topic of homestudy costs came up over dinner saturday night...it says updates, but people have also shared their original homestudy costs as well

[and Char, someone posted the going rate in MI is roughly 1600, so y'all were right to think the 2300 quote one agency gave you was on thehigh side]

We paid about $500 for our update for our homestuday and our 4 post placement visit are $1,400 and this is for NJ Eastcoast

Just an FYI

Linda

We paid about $500 for our update for our homestuday and our 4 post placement visit are $1,400 and this is for NJ Eastcoast.,Just an FYI

You might just want to doublecheck on this; you are finalizing in Texas, and Texas only requires two quarterly post-placement visits if you're finalizing in six months (standard newborn schedule)... why you would need four visits is unclear, with finalization occurring out-of-state, since then the requirements of the state in which you're adopting generally take precedence?

Just trying to save you some money (to put towards your next adoption!) ;)

Jumping in on Lisa's post...(Hi Lisa! :D )

Char, in Michigan, right? Was the quote including post placements? That is really high if not! I'm not sure where in MI you are but I would love to recommend our homestudy agency. They were reasonably priced but more importantly, very kind and did a great job. Bonus: they have done homestudies for other Abrazo familes ;) so they know what they are doing as far as requirements! PM me if you need their info.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Okie dokie. . .I need some help. and where better to find it then my forum friends. :)

A friend of mine is in the beginning stages of their adoption journey, and she is asking for recommendations on social workers. Our social worker was/is awesome. She contacted her, but it will be several months before she can begin their homestudy. Does anyone in the Memphis area have a recommendation for a social worker? Penny Gladstein and Ellen Rardin are two I know, but they are the only ones. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Rhonda

Edited by dnr1021

Rhonda,

It has always been my impression that they are the only 2 SWs in Memphis?

Well, there are more, but none better than those two, in our humble opinion! :D

What can you "been there/done that" folks tell newbies about how to go about finding a good, reliable homestudy worker and what it should cost?

Now that Texas licensing standards are going to require every applicant to have a completed homestudy before their agency file can be fully activated, there are going to be a flurry of folks having to pay to get Texas-qualified studies done before knowing for sure that they'll be adopting through Texas. (I know-- it makes NO sense, but tell that to the folks at Licensing.)

Sooo-- a helpful reminder: start those FBI checks right away, and be sure that any social worker you're interviewing is either familiar with Abrazo's homestudy requirements OR is willing to learn them!! because time is money and we'd like to see you save a little of both in the course of your adoption journey by not having to pay for corrections later in the process. ;)

There are tons of SWs in Memphis and a handful that do homestudies for adoption, but I have been told that Penny and Ellen are the only two who do Texas approved homestudies. If your friend is adopting in TN she can look online for adoption agencies locally. Most of those either do the studies or they could point her in the right direction. :)