Homestudy Updates

Guest jandlcorn

Guest jandlcorn

We live in TN and are entering into our second adoption and hope that Abrazo will be the agency to help us. Our first adoption was three years ago in TN, and went quite well. Now we're doing the paperwork for #2.

Since TX has special homestudy requirements, I understand that there will be extra/different documentation. The same TN adoption agent who did our first homestudy just quoted me $750 to do the homestudy update. GULP!

This seemed pretty high, considering she knows nothing about us has changed, except we now have a beautiful son. I understand that verification is in order (laws and what not) and some documents expire (background check, etc), so an update is certainly not a matter of just changing the date on the last one. I'm also not meaning to quibble over the price of quality adoption services or the value of expertise, but does $750 seem high to anyone else for what essentially is a duplication of our first one?

She cited the fee, then...after my silence...justified it by going on about the 23 points of TX homestudy checklist. I've looked at these points and to me, they don't seem that complex, especially when she has our old one as a go-by. Seems logical that it should cost LESS to do an update. I was expecting $200 or $300.

Appreciate anyone with experience/advice to share to help me get over this feeling of being taken advantage of.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jandlcorn,

Welcome to the forum!! I hope you find Abrazo to be the agency for you. We adopted our daughter from Abrazo two years ago, and had a wonderful experience

We did our homestudy two years ago and the best that I remember, we payed about that much.

What part of TN are you from? We live in Martin, TN 3 hrs from both Memphis and Nashville.

Keep us posted!

Melissa

We had homestudy updates done in TN and in AR to meet TX standards -- they ran about $500. You might check with another agency or social worker just to see if the cost is in line for your area, particularly since you are wanting an update as opposed to an entirely new homestudy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have a dumb question. Now that Grace Ann is getting older we are thinking(maybe??) about adopting again. What is the process to update a homestudy? I always just thought you had to start from the beginning each time.

Dear Melissa,

To update a homestudy in Texas, at least, you just contact your social worker and she comes to visit and "update" your information. Thus the term "update". But in Texas the update has to be within 6 months of placement, so if you update now and place in 7 months, you'll have to redo it.

We adopted our son this year in Illinois. We did a lot of research on the home study process and found all of the agencies in line with the one we used. Our costs were as follow:

$350.00 application fee

$2050.00 home study fee

$350.00 per post placement visit (we needed two)

Our fee schedule does show a fee of $1350.00 for an update to an expired home study within three years of the original home study.

Hope this helps lend some perspective to costs you have been quoted.

wowsers!

Those prices are much steeper than we incurred in Texas.

Our homestudy was $600 or $650. No application fee. Our post-adoptive visits were $175 each. We had to have 3 because of how our finalization fell. This second time, the homestudy update was only $300, but it had been less than a year since our original and less than 6 months since our most recent post-adoptive visit. We also haven't moved, all of the same family members are present, etc. Samuel was the only real change to the original study.

So, perhaps there is a supply and demand factor, or perhaps state licensing is different to account for the vast difference in pricing of homestudies.

For best answer to individual needs, ask the ladies at Abrazo. There up on all the requirements and can be specific with your case.

Christina

Speaking of homestudy uupdates.....

I'm curious as to whether or not any of you who did homestudy updates did them from someone other than the person who did your original homestudy (or through a different agency) and if so, did they still let you just do an update or did they require you to do a completely new homestudy? (They as in the person you contact to do the homestudy, not Abrazo)

We live out of state and were really happy with the person who did our homestudy (I think it cost a little over $1,000 including the post placement visits) but she isn't affiliated with an adoption agency and also, she lives about an hour from where we do. I was thinking of looking for someone closer to home (now that I know more) but didn't know if it was unreasonable to expect someone who does the update to just do an update, even if they weren't the person who did the original homestudy.

Another reason I ask this is that if we move somewhere else (which is always a possibility given Lance's job), we would definitely use someone else to do our homestudy update (and in a different state even) so just trying to find out if anyone else has done that before (i.e. use someone else for their update)?

Thanks!

(Melissa - sounds like you have baby fever too? Gosh - I sure do! I am so ready for our 2nd it's not even funny! I can't even look at other babies any more without just totally staring at them and oohing and awing at how precious they are. I'm just trying to wait a bit until things get more stable in our family (given my sister's breast cancer diagnosis & treatment) and then I hope we'll be back in SA again soon to get the ball rolling again. I used to think of Kayleigh as always being the baby in the familiy but now that she's getting older - I can totally see her as a big sister - (she's become quite bossy lately so she'll do great in that role smile.gif (no offense to you big sisters/brothers) - keep me posted on how things go with you!!)

Lisa -- We had our original homestudy and an update done in TN, but then needed another study/update once we moved to Arkansas and yet another study/update when we ended up going to court in Missouri for our third child. So, we used one social worker in TN, but then 2 different social workers in AR. Our first Arkansas study/update was done for an update price since our TN stuff was so recent. But, when we had the second study/update done for court, it was full price (even though our first AR study/update was recent) -- it was just because it needed to be so detailed for the Missouri courts.

Anyway, to answer your question, we did not have any problem using a new social worker to do our homestudy, particularly since the format was going to be similar because we were working with Abrazo again. It was only when the format had to change (for a different state and situation) that we incurred the add'l expense.

• 4 months later...

I know this is a bit outdated. My husband and I are new to this whole process. We are undergoing a home study right now in Texas that is costing us $600. They quoted us this fee stating that it was a bit lower due to the fact that we do not have any children or any other family members in the home.

Hope this can help someone.

Claudia

• 2 months later...

Help,

We just found out yesterday that the person who did our first homestudy can't do our second one. I have been scouring the web all day trying to find someone nearby who could do it. We live in a small town 2 hours from Memphis and 2 hours from Nashville, so I really don't want to have to get someone to drive 2 hours here just to do our homestudy.

Does anyone know of a website where I can go look for LCSW that do homestudies in my area???

And does it matter that the person updating the homestudy did not orginally do our homestudy?

We live in NC and are having to update our homestudy sinceits almost 1 year old. The price we were quoted is 650.00. I guess all states are different on cost.

Michelle

• 1 month later...

In West Michigan the going rate for a homestudy is about $1,600. I found one agency that quoted me $300. I was so excited that I commended them on providing affordable services and told the caseworker what other agencies were charging. She told me that those rates were redicuolous and that there was no reason to charge that much.

I called her a couple of days later to get an appointment and start the process. She informed me that they had raised their rates from $300 to $1,000. I was ENRAGED. I still am. She went on to say that since she quoted me $300, they would be willing to do our study for $500. Um, is that how a quote works....HELLO!

I am still angry beyond words about this. Of course, I would never consider using an agency with this type of practice. I would pay 3X as much before giving them my business. To me, it was a much larger frustration. This experience screamed at me loud and clear that adoption is an industry. That it is based on a market-economy that it sets its rates based on supply and demand. Ultimately, children are the ones who suffer. Children who need a family. It also hurts us. Men and women who long to parent and for so many of us, who never do because we can't afford the cost.

For me personally, I have to say that I spent a few days thinking about backing out. Not because I don't believe in adoption, but because I don't want to support a corrupt system. In my area a good psychologist with a PHD makes about $100-$150 for a one hour session. There is no way on earth that an individual with a BA should be making several hundred an hour! My estimation is that most social workers make around $25-$35/hourly. Why should a social worker in adoption make more? Because they CAN. Because this world is full of greedy, ugly people who are willing to make their fortune off of the weak and helpless.

Ultimately I have decided that no matter how corrupt the system may be, a child is behind it. That is why I am finishing up my homestudy this month with a different agency that I feel much better about.

-Laura

I think I wouldn't be that confident of a $300 homestudy. It is just so much lower than most homestudies in most states. My first was $1500 and my second was $750 but it was a reputable agency so I felt confident even though it was cheaper than my first. Although at that agency, the updates are the same fee as the first homestudy.

I think our homestudy cost $1,400. This includes the two post placement visits. Around Nashville this price seemed pretty competitive. I would be leary of a place that quoted $300.

The homestudy is a mandatory part of the adoption process. Although, it can be very costly and a little unnerving at times...the end result is more than worth it. There are "hoops" to jump through in adoption, but if you truly desire to be a parent, then you just do what is neccessary to become one. Mickey and I have had a really good experience with our local social worker and Abrazo. I agree that adoption is very expensive. However, the child that I now call mine is priceless...there is no mountain to high, ocean to deep, or cost to big. Like anything in life worth pursuing... it takes hard work, time, and patience, but the end result will outshine any expectation you could have possibly imagined at the onset of your journey.

Best wishes!

Elaine

• 2 months later...

I am hoping to attend the November orientation. I read the post about things to be prepared and the homestudy and FBI background check were mentioned. Can someone tell me how I would start these two processes?? Do the ladies at Abrazo do the homestudy or do I find my own social worker?? Thank you for your help!

Andy smile.gif

Hi, Andy! Once your completed inquiry and application are on file with Abrazo and approved, your orientation registration form will be processed, and a weekend confirmed for you. At that point, you'll want to talk with our family services coordinator, Angela, about referrals for homestudy workers in your area and about beginning the FBI background check if you're from outside of Texas. Glad you've found the Forum; some of our favorite people gather here! so welcome.

Andy,

My husband and I live in Tennessee. Abrazo is located in San Antonio so we had to find our own social worker. One was recommended to me from a friend that had adopted. I contacted the social worker and set up the first meeting. Prices can vary from social worker to social worker. If cost is a factor then you might be smart to shop around. More than the cost (although it was definately a factor for us) was the fact that this soc. worker was recommended to us by someone we trusted. I would be leary of anyone super cheap. Ours (in Nashville) costs about $1,400. That included all post placement visits too. Anyhow, try to find a social worker that you are comfortable with. If you do not live in Texas then I would mention to them that the adoption agency you are using is in Texas. Our social worker was familiar with Texas adoption standards (as they vary from state to state). You want to make sure that your social worker (if you live outside of Texas) covers all the bases so that nothing holds you up last minute. If your social worker is not familiar with Texas adoption standards, then I would contact Abrazo and ask them to mail or fax you what is expected for those adopting from Texas. That way you could share your findings with your social worker. If you live in Texas then they already know what is expected.

As far as FBI checks...my husband and I did two things. We got local background checks done at our local sheriff's department. I received a copy stating that our background checks were clear. I presented them (one for me and one for hubby) to our social worker. Then we went to get fingerprinted for the TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) and the FBI. We did this at one location in downtown Nashville. Your social worker can tell you where to have this done. It seems like we set up an appointment before going to get printed. They may take walk-ins...I don't know. Anyhow, you could probably look in the phone book or surf the web to find the location nearest you that takes prints.

Our prints came back super fast, but I have heard of it being quite a wait at times. I guess we got lucky.

For those that like to be ahead of the game it is a good idea to start getting your ducks in a row. Some social workers are super flexible and work with you to speed things along. On the other hand it is sometimes like pulling teeth to even get them to return your calls. Same thing with the fingerprints and background checks. Sometimes you get clearance super fast and at other times you are pacing the floors.

Hope this helps and I haven't rambled to much! Good luck at the Nov. orientation! You will have a super time!!!

Elaine

Hi, this information is very helpful, thank you guys! We are attending the Sept. orientation so i guess i need to begin looking for a social worker and maybe having our physicals done too just to get that out of the way. I thought we needed to wait on the social worker until after the orientation. I feel like a dork! blink.gif

mandj

We did wait on a social worker until after Orientation. Some wait and some don't. I didn't realize until it was to late that I could have started it before hand.

Elaine

Mandj,

don't feel like a dork!!

we didn't do anything until after our orientation weekend and it worked out wonderfully for us. As a result of attending orientation and waiting to start all the processes, we were able to start with knowledge under our belts and a positive and hopeful attitude instead of a harried-worried-uncertainity. We knew what we were suppose to do and exactly how to proceed (of course, you can always call the gals at Abrazo for those moments when you have a little brain fart!!)

As a result:

We attended August 2002 orientation - Los Neuvos Abrazos- and took our darling Nathan home two days after Thanksgiving 2002. We attended May 2004 orientation- Tremendous Ten-and took home our precious babydoll Mary Alice at the end of October 2004.

good luck and enjoy yourselves (worry is so counter-productive cool.gif

pkk

Edited by mummyx2

• 3 weeks later...

Andy,

I am just starting out myself and am lost as well as you. Don't feel like a dork, if you don't ask...you don't know. Any questions you ask will help the process and help you grow your family just that much sooner.

I haven't even sent in my pre-application yet, but I can't wait. I'm searching for pictures right now and can't wait for the day I get to ask questions, too.

It does all seem ominous and a bit scary, but it's like a roller coaster...exciting and scary all at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just wondering. Do private adoptions require home studies here in Texas. We know that agency adoptions do but what if you have a family friend that you might be adopting from? Any info would be great.

God bless,

Jen biggrin.gif

Yes, homestudies are also required in advance of private adoptions as well as in relative adoptions in Texas.