Baby Step: Start-Up Advice for Newbies

TnT

Hi Everyone,

We thank you so much for your warm welcome into your lives. It has made me smile all day :) . We also received great news from Angela, we will be there in July for the orientation. Yahoo!!!!

We cannot wait to meet everyone and learn from each other.

Thanks again for your love and compassion.

Jenn and Dave

Welcome Jenn and Dave,

We matched with our daughter's birthmom in August 1996 and our beautiful daughter was born in September 1996. She is now turning into a teenager right before our very eyes. :o:o

Enjoy the orientation and return back home ready to get that nursery ready. Your little bundle of joy will be here before you know it. Have a great day!!!

Kim

Edwin &Gigi,

I just checked out your home page and I LOVE your story about Kami!! I am a huge dog person. I have two Maxwell and Scamper - "the boys."

I noticed you were from Michigan. We live on Grosse Ile. I grew up in Plymouth and am very fimilar with Livonia in fact my mom works in Livonia, my doctor's office is in Livonia, we were recently looking at buying a house in Livonia, okay I guess you get the picture.

Let me know if I can help you in anyway in your journey. :)

Mary

Edited by mkbourdage

Thanks Mary!

You're very sweet!

Are there pictures of your puppies anywhere here? We'd love to see! We're a little canine crazy too :D

If you want, we have pics of our pups and the kitty at www.aandd06.spaces.msn.com . Like a proud mother I'm opening my virtual wallet of photos!

Have a great day all!

Hi Everyone,

We thank you so much for your warm welcome into your lives. It has made me smile all day :) . We also received great news from Angela, we will be there in July for the orientation. Yahoo!!!!

We cannot wait to meet everyone and learn from each other.

Thanks again for your love and compassion.

Jenn and Dave

YAY for getting into orientation!!!! That's awesome! We are waiting to hear from Angela if we got in... :unsure: we're praying we will be there!

Congrats again and we hope to see you there!

Donna

Thanks Mary!

You're very sweet!

Are there pictures of your puppies anywhere here? We'd love to see! We're a little canine crazy too :D

If you want, we have pics of our pups and the kitty at www.aandd06.spaces.msn.com . Like a proud mother I'm opening my virtual wallet of photos!

Have a great day all!

Andrea,

I tried to look at your pics but it did not work - of course this does not surprise me, I am technologically challenged!!! :lol:

I do not have any pics posted I really need to get on that. Maxwell is a bearded collie mix (think very large Benji) that I got at the Michigan Humane society and Scamper is a beagle that I found wandering when I lived in Plymouth. I also have "joint custody" of a golden retriever named Doc. He belongs to a friend of mine that travels for a living.

You can see Doc on my new personal photo - he just loves Kaylen. The feeling is quite mutual! :D

Edited by mkbourdage

HI,

Livonia is a great place. We love it there. Maybe the next time you are out in our area we could meet somewhere or you can come over to our house. We would love to meet you.

I am originally from Chicago and my husband was born and raised in Taylor, MI. I have been here now for 10 yrs and love it.

Kami is our baby (Sassi our cat is too). We had no plans on getting a dog and 4 yrs ago I was up north and there was a little boy giving puppies away. Well I picked Kami up and she went onto my shoulder, licked my neck, let out a little cry and went to sleep. That was it. She was going home with me. :o

Edwin and I had been praying for a child and after we got Kami we changed the way we were praying and asking God for a child without fur. LOL

She is a very special animal and just loves life and people.

Hope to be able to meet you soon.

Gigi

Edwin &Gigi,

I just checked out your home page and I LOVE your story about Kami!! I am a huge dog person. I have two Maxwell and Scamper - "the boys."

I noticed you were from Michigan. We live on Grosse Ile. I grew up in Plymouth and am very fimilar with Livonia in fact my mom works in Livonia, my doctor's office is in Livonia, we were recently looking at buying a house in Livonia, okay I guess you get the picture.

Let me know if I can help you in anyway in your journey. :)

Mary

Mary...

I think it may have been my link...oh well, I have been trying to get it figured out and I think more than likely...no...most definately I am the one who is technologically challenged! Thanks for trying. Are you going to the get-together in August? Maybe we can share photos there!

Maxwell and Scamper! Love the names!

Kaylen and Doc are quite a pair! Thanks for sharing....

~Andrea

Mary...

I think it may have been my link...oh well, I have been trying to get it figured out and I think more than likely...no...most definately I am the one who is technologically challenged! Thanks for trying. Are you going to the get-together in August? Maybe we can share photos there!

Maxwell and Scamper! Love the names!

Kaylen and Doc are quite a pair! Thanks for sharing....

~Andrea

We will be there and I will bring pics. Looking forward to meeting you.

HI,

Livonia is a great place. We love it there. Maybe the next time you are out in our area we could meet somewhere or you can come over to our house. We would love to meet you.

I am originally from Chicago and my husband was born and raised in Taylor, MI. I have been here now for 10 yrs and love it.

Kami is our baby (Sassi our cat is too). We had no plans on getting a dog and 4 yrs ago I was up north and there was a little boy giving puppies away. Well I picked Kami up and she went onto my shoulder, licked my neck, let out a little cry and went to sleep. That was it. She was going home with me. :o

Edwin and I had been praying for a child and after we got Kami we changed the way we were praying and asking God for a child without fur. LOL

She is a very special animal and just loves life and people.

Hope to be able to meet you soon.

Gigi

Dogs are the best - Kami sounds like a little sweetie. Will you be atht he gathering on August 13th? Either way we will can make plans to get together...

Hi,

Yes we plan on coming to the picnic. It will be great to meet other's from our area and from Abrazo.

Do you know how many are in and around Michigan that have adopted from Abrazo??

We are still waiting to hear back about our pre-app. I hope we hear soon. It would be nice if we got approved and were able to go to the Aug orientiation.

I have a question. Now that family and friends know we are on our way to adopting a child we have had several people ask when they should have a shower for us. I dont know the answer to that. Any suggestion???

A few people said to wait until we bring the baby home. We wouldnt be prepared for a baby to arrive at our house if we wait until then.

Gigi

Gigi,

Some wait and some do not. I guess it is your call to make. We had a very quick shower right before going to get our daughter (a B.O.G.) and then a few when we returned home with her.

Some people are superstitious having showers before the baby arrives (biological or adopted children). It just depends on what you as the parents want and/or need to do.

If you do not know the sex of the baby, then you will have to go with neutral clothing...but you could stock up on diapers/wipes, blankets, sheets, toys, books, and other basics you are going to need.

When ready you could go fill out your baby registry so that others would have a better idea of things you desire/need. Remember it's not if but when. :) You may get the call when you least expect it!

Elaine

p.s. We got "the call" so suddenly (exactly one month to the day after our orientation) that we did not have our nursery, baby registry, or anything else done. That was VERY STRESSFUL!!! My suggestion is be as prepared as you can be and do as much as you can BEFORE the baby comes. You never know when Abrazo may call you.... ;)

Hi,

Yes we plan on coming to the picnic. It will be great to meet other's from our area and from Abrazo.

Do you know how many are in and around Michigan that have adopted from Abrazo??

Gigi,

We're very excited about seeing you and Edwin! There are about betwen twelve to fifteen couples that are from the Michigan area (I don't have my list with me), with some new families joining the ranks, including you guys!! So far we have seven families that are coming to our picnic! It should be great!

As far as the baby shower goes, we had one after we brought Leyna home. It was very nice to have our family around, welcoming her and getting a chance to meet her in person.

Edited by BrendaMikeGabe

Hi all-

We're new to the forum, though I've been lurking for a few months as we finalized our decision about adoption. We've now officially been accepted (I talked to Angela last night). We're heading to the September orientation, and we can't wait! :D

Quick history of us-- first, I'm excited to see all of the Michigan folks on the forum, since I'm originally from Michigan and went to U of M (go blue!). My husband and I met in DC, and moved over to Italy 2.5 years ago for his job (he works for the US Navy). We've done the infertility thing for about as long as we've been overseas, but I think we always knew that we'd end up adopting. We went to a military adoption conference in Germany last year, and met Angela there. We fell in love with Abrazo as soon as we talked to Angela, and have never considered going with any other agency. Having the knowledge that we could turn to Abrazo at any point and stop the infertility craziness was really helpful as we went through the treatment options. (Our attempts at even basic infertility treatments in Italy-- out in town, not at the base hospital-- were absoluely comical, straight out of a Seinfeld episode... so we stopped pretty soon after we started).

Looking forward to getting to know all of you, and to meet those of you who will be at the September orientation.

Lauren (and Chuck)

Welcome Lauren and Chuck,

The adoption journey is a crazy and amazing ride. Welcome to the Abrazo forum. May you have an amazing ride...lol

Hey - How about some World Cup insider info? I am sure the parties have been great. Will you be coming back to the States soon?

Anyway...welcome, welcome, welcome

Heidi

Heidi-

The World Cup was awesome. We've been watching it from the beginning (and we were very happy that the U.S. at least tied Italy, or we wouldn't have been able to show our faces to our Italian neighbors and friends). We watched the semi-finals and finals in the "piazza" (town square) of the town we live in. They set up huge TV screens, and everyone (from 2 week old babies to 95 year old grandpas) watched the game in the square. When Italy won after 2 OTs and one round of penalty kicks, everyone went nuts. This adorable little Italian girl who spoke maybe 10 words of English (mostly "one, two, three" and "hello") dragged me out to dance to the band and watch the fireworks-- that were being lit right there in the square!! It was quite an experience.

I head back to DC somewhat often for work (I own a consulting firm, and a couple of our big clients are in DC) so I'll be back in August for a few days... then we'll be back again for the September orientation. :P

Guest BeachMama

Hi, Lauren! Welcome! My husband Doug and I are finishing our formal application and hope to meet you at the September orientation!! We live in MD, only a few miles outside of DC, so maybe we'll get to catch up with you sometime after that as well, when you visit your clients!

I head back to DC somewhat often for work (I own a consulting firm, and a couple of our big clients are in DC) so I'll be back in August for a few days... then we'll be back again for the September orientation. :P

Heidi-

The World Cup was awesome. We've been watching it from the beginning (and we were very happy that the U.S. at least tied Italy, or we wouldn't have been able to show our faces to our Italian neighbors and friends). We watched the semi-finals and finals in the "piazza" (town square) of the town we live in. They set up huge TV screens, and everyone (from 2 week old babies to 95 year old grandpas) watched the game in the square. When Italy won after 2 OTs and one round of penalty kicks, everyone went nuts. This adorable little Italian girl who spoke maybe 10 words of English (mostly "one, two, three" and "hello") dragged me out to dance to the band and watch the fireworks-- that were being lit right there in the square!! It was quite an experience.

Do you live in Italy now? (if so, hello neighbor.. We are in Geneva). Are you moving back to the states? I was told as an international family, it was very difficult to be able to get the passport to take the child back overseas until after finalization. Maybe I misunderstood?

Cathy

Lauren and Chuck,

Welcome!!!!!!!

And did I hear "Go BLUE!" I own a business on Campus- State Street..by the theatre?

Congrats on starting your journey with Abrazo! We are headed to orientation this very weekend! Can't wait to get to know you around here and see your story unfold!

~Andrea and Don

Do you live in Italy now? (if so, hello neighbor.. We are in Geneva). Are you moving back to the states? I was told as an international family, it was very difficult to be able to get the passport to take the child back overseas until after finalization. Maybe I misunderstood?

Cathy

Yes, we're in Italy and will remain here for another 2+ years. We've been talking to a bunch of people (and we went to an overseas military adoption conference in Germany last year) who have adopted domestically while living overseas. We had never heard of a problem with getting the passport, but I'll check into it now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know what we find out.

We had never heard of a problem with getting the passport, but I'll check into it now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know what we find out.

Copied from "The Night Owls Club" thread, in response:

As for the Abrazo/immigration issue, our legal services coordinator Holly Yancy recently contacted Immigration to seek clarification on the passport issue.

[Which for the rest of our Forum readers, is this: adopting parents do not have access to the original birth certificate and cannot receive the amended birth certificate for their child until after they finalize the adoption, 6-18 months following placement, when supervison by Abrazo is successfully completed. New INS regulations will prohibit any child from receiving a passport without the parents providing a valid birth certificate. Ergo, it appears that any child being placed for adoption with those who live abroad will have to remain in the U.S. for the first 6-18 months of life, until the adoption is finalized and a birth certificate obtained and a passport is approved.]

Immigration informed Holly there is a small window of time until the new regulation goes into effect next year. She is seeking to get proof of this time frame in written form, so that we have something "official" to enable us to continue working with U.S. citizens living abroad at least until then. In the meantime, if you'd like to get your inquiry and application on file with Abrazo, so you can be considered for orientation, please do so promptly! so we can do whatever is possible to help in the time we have left, assuming Immigration has given us accurate information!

Lauren and Chuck,

Welcome to the forum! How exciting to be on your way to parenthood! I' am also a Michigander and lived in Italy. I miss the great food. Sorry both my parents graduated from Michigan State but I think U of M is better!

Heather :)

As for the Abrazo/immigration issue, our legal services coordinator Holly Yancy recently contacted Immigration to seek clarification on the passport issue.

[Which for the rest of our Forum readers, is this: adopting parents do not have access to the original birth certificate and cannot receive the amended birth certificate for their child until after they finalize the adoption, 6-18 months following placement, when supervison by Abrazo is successfully completed. New INS regulations will prohibit any child from receiving a passport without the parents providing a valid birth certificate. Ergo, it appears that any child being placed for adoption with those who live abroad will have to remain in the U.S. for the first 6-18 months of life, until the adoption is finalized and a birth certificate obtained and a passport is approved.]

Immigration informed Holly there is a small window of time until the new regulation goes into effect next year. She is seeking to get proof of this time frame in written form, so that we have something "official" to enable us to continue working with U.S. citizens living abroad at least until then. In the meantime, if you'd like to get your inquiry and application on file with Abrazo, so you can be considered for orientation, please do so promptly! so we can do whatever is possible to help in the time we have left, assuming Immigration has given us accurate information!

Yikes!! I didn't realize that there was a new reg. I'll go pull the regulation now. I've got some contacts within the General Counsel's office at CIS (this is when it helps to have worked in the White House for 4 years), so I'll try to get the ground truth. Thanks for alerting us. Hopefully we can get an adoption placement before the regulation goes into effect!

Heather, Don & Andrea:

Thanks for the welcome. Haven't really spent much time in Ann Arbor (or in Michigan, for that matter-- just a few visits to my brother in K'zoo and a couple of weddings back in suburban Detroit since I graduated). Andrea, is your business new? I spent lots of time down in that area (I lived on Hill and State my sophomore year) but I'm sure it has changed dramatically since then.

So excited that there are a bunch of Michiganders with Abrazo, though. How cool.

L

Back on this passport/birth certificate issue... can anyone get me a bit more information about this new rule? Was it CIS or State that published it, and when was it published? If nothing else, let me know who Holly has been talking to, and I'll track down the correct info.

Like I said, this is when it is good to have some connections. My old intern reviews all regulations from both State and CIS for the Executive Office. She hasn't seen anything that she can recall that looks like this, but if we can get a bit more info, she can dig around and get the final truth. I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. If it does turn out to be a major problem, I may be able to lobby pretty effectively to get the rule implementation delayed, or modify the rule to handle adoption situations. Really depends on what the actual rule says, though... so if we can find a citation, we may be able to make this work. At the very least, I can get a high-level opinion on what this means for those of us living overseas, and see if we can find a fix.

NOW I see why I worked those 80+ hour weeks back in DC... so that I could possibly fix things like this!!

L