Baby Step: Start-Up Advice for Newbies

TnT

Hi Elaine,

Sorry for the long delay in my reply. We have been quite busy with getting our Adoption Garage sale going. We are having it Aug 3-5. We asked friends and family to see if they had anything they could donate to the sale, and oh my have we gotten the donations for the sale. My basement and garage are so full of stuff. This is going to be really fun. We will also be selling hot dog, soda/water, chips and several people have offered to bake. So we have really had our hand quite full these days.

Thanks for the info on the shower. We have decided to wait until we bring the baby home. We will get the room all set up once the sale is over and we have a little free time. Some family and friends have given us gifts already. :D

Gigi

Guest BeachMama

What a GREAT idea, Gigi! Bets of luck - I hope you make a LOT!!!!

Hi Elaine,

Sorry for the long delay in my reply. We have been quite busy with getting our Adoption Garage sale going. We are having it Aug 3-5. We asked friends and family to see if they had anything they could donate to the sale, and oh my have we gotten the donations for the sale. My basement and garage are so full of stuff. This is going to be really fun. We will also be selling hot dog, soda/water, chips and several people have offered to bake. So we have really had our hand quite full these days.

Thanks for the info on the shower. We have decided to wait until we bring the baby home. We will get the room all set up once the sale is over and we have a little free time. Some family and friends have given us gifts already. :D

Gigi

Hi Elaine,

Gigi

Gigi,

We did this last year and made well over $1000 to go toward our next adoption.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks. We are so excited about doing this and cant wait to count the money. Lots of people coming to help and we will advertise also. The last day we will have a big blow out sale because it is better to make something on the stuff then nothing.

Once this is over we are going to try to put together some sort of dinner or a road rally. Maybe both.

Any other suggestions on raising funds would be great. I would also like to hear from anyone who has done a dinner and how they made that happen.

I have not clue what I am doing with but willing to do what it takes to make it successful. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Franky

My husband and I are wanting to adopt. We had a private adoption lined up but the birthmom went into renal failure and the babies passed away. Neither of us (or our families) had experienced that kinda loss. The birthmom was in her 8th month. God challenges us, but he has yet to lead us astray.

I think our next step is to talk to other families who are wanting, are currently and have adopted. Where do we really start? Iti s so overwhelming! I have some co-workers who have rave reviews about Abrazo and suggested that I seek guidance from the "Abrazo Family" online. Any advice or guidance that anyone could provide that would be great.

I hope this is working. It is my first time in the forum. Thanks so much:)

FNLW

Welcome Franky!

I am sorry for this tragic loss. I just can't imagine the loss that both you and the birthfamily must feel.

My husband I started working with Abrazo in May 2002. We found so much support from the ladies at Abrazo. Our daughter, Grace Ann was born in Nov. of that year. Since then our life has not been the same. :)

I would suggest you contact Abrazo and talk to the great ladies that work there. Also look around the forum. It is full of great info. And the people on the forum are close-knit family who support each other through all the ups and downs of adoption.

Keep posting.

Melissa

Hey, Franky! I see you are from TN too...cool! There are a lot of Volunteers represented here in Abrazoland!

The forum is a great place to start. It has a wealth of knowledge.

My husband and I applied for adoption through Abrazo in Jan. 2005. We attended their Parents of Tomorrow Prientation weekend in March 2005 and had our sweet little girl by April 2005. Sometimes people place quickly and sometimes they do not. But the right baby is out there for each and everyone of us...so being first or being last doesn't really matter! What matters is that you find the baby that you are supposed to find.

Go under the "Looking to Adopt" and "Parents in Waiting Threads". That should give you a lot of the info you are looking for.

If you are interested call Abrazo (210-342-LOVE) and speak to them about your interest in adoption and let them tell you what they are all about.

Good luck on your journey! We are all here to help one another out!!!

Elaine

Oh, Franky I just saw that you are from TN.

What part??

We are having an Abrazo reunion near Memphis on the 26th of this month. We would love to have you and your husband join us. You would get a chance to meet and talk with lots of people from the area that adopted through Abrazo.

Just check out the TN talk under the United States of Adoption part of the forum.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Elaine is right, we are a close knit community. Most of us have never met in person, but we have shared some of our most heartfelt thoughts together as a family.

We adopted our daughter in 1996 working through ABRAZO. I would also encourage you to give them a call. You won't be sorry.....

Edited by Mathews

Hi Franky!

Welcome to the Forum!

I am very sorry for your loss. That must have been very difficult for everyone.

I am glad your co-workers encouraged you to check out Abrazo. It was exactly a year ago that I started reading the forum and we began filling out paperwork. We attended orientation in September and in March our sweet little girl was born. :)

I tell everyone about Abrazo. They are a wonderful agency!

And the Forum is a wonderful place to share your thoughts and feelings and learn so, so much.

Wishing you all the best!

Betsy

Hey Franky,

Welcome from some Tennessee Folk! You have come to a great place to get some info from all sides of adoption! My husband and I were in the midst of fertility treatments this time last year! We decided to adopt at the end of Sept, started looking into Abrazo a week or so later, went to orientation at the end of Oct, had our paperwork complete with our file active mid November- our precious baby boy was born April 27th! We all look forward to getting to know you better as we have quite a community of friends here on the forum!

Ashley Wilder

Welcome, Franky!

You have come to a great place. The road to adoption is often a bumpy and sometimes downright turbulent one; however, that is just the reason it is so nice to have the great professionals at Abrazo there at your side.

My husband and I attended the July orientation last year and now look forward to celebrating the one-year birthday of our sweet daughter in a few months.

Everyone is correct in saying that you should give Abrazo a call and/or complete an inquiry which can be copied from a link on the homepage.

If that is moving to fast for you guys because you rightfully are still grieving your loss, take a look around the forum. There is great information. I suggest the "Tear & Fears" thread.

My husband and I are wanting to adopt. We had a private adoption lined up but the birthmom went into renal failure and the babies passed away. Neither of us (or our families) had experienced that kinda loss. The birthmom was in her 8th month. God challenges us, but he has yet to lead us astray.

I think our next step is to talk to other families who are wanting, are currently and have adopted. Where do we really start? Iti s so overwhelming! I have some co-workers who have rave reviews about Abrazo and suggested that I seek guidance from the "Abrazo Family" online. Any advice or guidance that anyone could provide that would be great.

FNLW

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are so right - God is always beside us or carrying us. And along our life's journey, God places angels in our path to help us along the way.

There is no time like the present :) And you are already making steps to healing and hope! Chip and I are hoping to adopt - and we KNOW it will happen. We just need patience :) I encourage you to make a call to Abrazo and chat with Angela. She is incredibly helpful and will answer your questions.

Also, I am unsure what part of TN you live - but there are a number of support groups out there. One in Memphis is Hearts for Adoption @ Christ United Methodist. It is a wonderful resource!! And also check out Hannah's prayer - it's a national organization and is online. There are a number of support groups scattered throughout the US.

Also - feel free to email me. Chip and I went to the January orientation, and we have made some lifelong friends there :rolleyes:

You will find incredibly loving and supportive folks here online!!!

Laura

Guest Franky

FNLW

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are so right - God is always beside us or carrying us. And along our life's journey, God places angels in our path to help us along the way.

There is no time like the present :) And you are already making steps to healing and hope! Chip and I are hoping to adopt - and we KNOW it will happen. We just need patience :) I encourage you to make a call to Abrazo and chat with Angela. She is incredibly helpful and will answer your questions.

Also, I am unsure what part of TN you live - but there are a number of support groups out there. One in Memphis is Hearts for Adoption @ Christ United Methodist. It is a wonderful resource!! And also check out Hannah's prayer - it's a national organization and is online. There are a number of support groups scattered throughout the US.

Also - feel free to email me. Chip and I went to the January orientation, and we have made some lifelong friends there :rolleyes:

You will find incredibly loving and supportive folks here online!!!

Laura

Wow I never knew the response would be so quick and supportive...I am from the Bartlett Area...orginally STL. I have heard about the Abrazo reunion in Memphis. I think my husband and I would like to come just to get answers to questions and having feelings validated and normalized. I love talking with one of my collegues who adopted says that is exactly what we talked about when we were deciding about adoption.

So when I call Abrazo - what questions SHOULD we ask? Possibly questions you wished you would have asked on the front end.

Franky

HI Franky,

You should ask whatever it is that you want to know. And you should definately talk with the TN families who have worked with Abrazo or are working with them currently as parents in waiting. Abrazo's whole philosophy is based on openness and honesty, so ask and they will answer. You can call and talk to anyone, but Angela is the adoptive parents coordinator. Elizabeth is the director and would also be great to talk to. She really tells it like it is and shoots from the hip.

I am a single mom. I adopted my son when he was 3 1/2 weeks old. He will be 4 early next month. Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted!

Jean

Franky,

Below is a post I thought you might find interesting. My husband and I attended the TN picnic last summer and are parents now (we did not use Abrazo, although I have made lifelong friends through the forum and that picnic). We were the only couple there last year who was not with Abrazo and we went to ask questions and decide if we wanted to use them. Little did we know that I was pregnant at the time of the picnic. I was actually waiting to find out if my fertility treatment had worked that month when we were at the picnic (apparently it had). As you will see below I did miscarry that pregnancy, and Andrew found us just a short time later.

Anyway, check out the MAMS thread and the TN Talk thread to find out all about the Memphis crew. We are not having a MAMS lunch this month due to the TN Picnic. We would love to have you in September. We usually do it the first or 2nd Saturday of the month. We hop around to different restaurants so just check the MAMS thread preiodically for updates about our next gathering.

Celeste

Susan,

I can vouch (I am the person you were talking about) that the picnic made a huge impact on my life. I didn't get to take the Abrazo route to parenthood, but boy have I made a bunch of great friends. Andrew will have lots of cute little girlfriends to date and lots of guy friends to tackle. That picnic was an interesting time in my life seeing as how I found out I was pregnant two days after attending the picnic (and not pregnant Abrazo style, but actually with child). Who knew that just 4 weeks later I would miscarry and then 5 weeks after that I would be a mommy to the best little guy around. The Lord works in mysterious and wonderful ways.

I have to say to all my Memphis Abrazo buddies, you all are great and true friends.

So to any Tennessee person lurking around on this board come to the picnic....IT COULD BE LIFE CHANGING! If anything it will be interesting to see Susan and Melissa scrap! :P Oh wait, there will be lots of cute kiddos there to hold!

Celeste

Dear Franky,

I too am sorry for your loss. We have adopted twice through Abrazo, and we had a failed placement each time prior to adopting, but nothing as difficult as what you two have gone through. There is a period of mourning, and I hope that you have allowed yourself to go through it as painful as it may be. Adoption is a journey, and sometimes before we can reach the ultimate destination of parenthood we go over some rocky terraine and side trips. Sometimes God puts us in another person's life for a season. We are to be there for them. Sometimes we just won't know until we get to heaven or until we are able to look back at an event to see what His purpose was, but rest assured, He doesn't waste anything.

Your journey has now brought you to Abrazo, and should this be the route you take to become a parent, you have found a good support system for you when you need it, and you will need it. We all have at some point in time.

It took us 3 months from the date of orientation to adopt our daughter Erin who is now 5 1/2 and starting kindergarten. I was in the delivery room when she was born, and about 3 1/2 months from orientation when we adopted our son Pearce who will be 2 August 27. His is a closed adoption and he was 1 week old when we got him.

It's not if you adopt it's when.

Kristy

Hi Franky, like everyone else I am extremely sorry for your loss. I couldn't even begin to imagine how that must have felt. I am a Birthmother, not an Adoptive mother but I just wanted to say that everyone on here is GREAT. They offer great advice and are all so understanding. The Abrazogals (staff) are something else too!!! They are always willing to help you out and answer any questions you have. I hope that you make the choice to join the Abrazo family!!!

love amanda

Guest Franky

Hi Franky, like everyone else I am extremely sorry for your loss. I couldn't even begin to imagine how that must have felt. I am a Birthmother, not an Adoptive mother but I just wanted to say that everyone on here is GREAT. They offer great advice and are all so understanding. The Abrazogals (staff) are something else too!!! They are always willing to help you out and answer any questions you have. I hope that you make the choice to join the Abrazo family!!!

love amanda

I am begining to feel better. It has been a rough few weeks, but moving forward is the next step. I think we will be calling this week. Can I get the dates of the gatherings so we can see if dates are available? We have several weekends this month pretty busy, my niece is having her baby shower at the end of the month! I will be a great aunt before I am officially 30 (only by a few days)!

I am starting to look on the other topics to find out more. It was kinda wierd coming to a forum like this. I am glad I did.

Franky,

Hope to meet you August 26.

Celeste

Ok everyone... The Southeast Abrazo Family Reunion will be on Sat. Aug.26,2006 from 11:00-4:00 (or later we can always move to the party to Suebee's new house, I'm sure she won't mind!! :ph34r: )

This year we are doing a few things different. So plan on coming early and staying until we are finished. We are renting a moon-bounce and a water slide, just to name a few of the fun activities!!! There is also a pond nearby for anyone that would like to fish. Susan also will be telling everyone very soon about a surprise she has to help raise money for Abrazo's Angel Account.

We are getting Memphis BarBQ, so please bring the fixings, drinks etc.

The cost for this fun-filled event is a mere $15 per family, but the memories priceless!!! :D

Please PM Suebee if you plan on attending so she can give you her address for the money and PM me with the t-shirt sizes that your family will need.

The deadline to sign-up is Aug. 11th. If we don't hear from you by that date, you won't be sporting the all important Abrazo attire around town!

Just a reminder our reunion is at a church owned park so no alchoholic beverages and don't be disappointed but no skateboards either. Maybe they had an incident where too many drunken skateboarders took over the park :huh: ???

FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES!!

(Fundraiser for Abrazo's Angel Account)

At this year’s Southeast Abrazo Reunion, children (and adults too!) will have the opportunity to make their very own cuddly stuffed animal friend, ‘wish upon’ and insert a rainbow wish star, decorate a T-shirt for their new friend, and name their animal with a personalized birth certificate.

Families are also encouraged to stuff animals to donate to Abrazo to be given to birth siblings of Abrazo kids at Christmas or throughout the year to bring smiles to their faces and joy to their hearts.

All proceeds from this activity will go to Abrazo’s Angel Account, which provides limited financial assistance in case of unexpected or extraordinary need within Abrazo’s adoption community. Help us give back to the agency and birth families that have given so much to us!!

Suggested Donation of $25 each includes top-quality collectible animal, stuffing, T-shirt, decorating supplies, wish star, and birth certificate. (Suggested donation is above retail price—all donations above costs will be given to Abrazo’s Angel Account.)

To view animals or dolls, visit Noah's Ark Workshop. Click on "Cuddly Friends" or "Noah's Friends" Send me a PM of the animal(s) and/or doll(s) you'd like to order by August 11 and get ready for some stuffing fun at the reunion! (When I receive your PM, I'll send you my address and you can send a check for your donation along with the picnic registration fee of $15.) I'll also have outfits available at the reunion for purchase. All proceeds will go to Abrazo's Angel Account!!

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know when you're truly ready to start the adoption process?

What is the "adoption readiness quotient" in your relationship?

Take the quiz, and find out, here! HERE.

Hi,

Thanks for asking. The sale went extremely well.

We had it Thurs, Fri & Sat. It rained on Thurs but we still made $150 that day. We had a ton of die-hard garage saler's. :) At one point it was raining so hard that we closed the sale only to have someone ring my door bell and ask why we were closed and that we had 5 cars outside waiting to get into our sale so I went out in the rain and opened the doors. I bet I changed my clothes about 5 times that day.

Friday was a day I will never forget. We had such a circle of friends coming in an out all day to help us out and even in the evening we had husband to my friends show up to help out. I had a friend who baked cookies too. She called them stork cookies. They all sold pretty fast. Our friends put signage up all over the yard that it was an adoption garage sale and people really were generous with their donations. Some people didnt even buy anything and still gave money or others would give more then their totals. We had neighbors that didnt know we were having the sale go through their houses on Fri and Sat bringing over stuff on and off all day. It was amazing and then on Sat we had a blow out sale. Fill a bag for a buck. LOL That really helped to get rid of all the little stuff we had. The big stuff we marked down to 50% off.

We had enough stuff to fill 10 tables in our garage with stuff on the ground too. All the way down my driveway to the front of the house. The donations were unbelievable. We donated mostly everything that was left but the good stuff we will go to the Flea Market and sell there.

So all in all we ended up making (drum roll please) :o over $2100.00 and still counting because I am still slowly selling stuff to people at work.

I will honestly say that the money is awesome but no money in the whole world can make up what we have in our hearts from the love and support we felt from family and friends. I wish I could get out of my heart into the words to tell people what this meant to us. I had friends I havent seen in about 4 yrs from my last job show up with donations because they heard through the grapevine that we were doing this.

I cant thank my Mom or my 3 best friends enough for all of their hard work during this. We couldnt have dont this without them. My husband had to work on Thurs & Fri so it was nice to have my Mom by my side. My Mom is my best friend. Well next to my hubby. :D

My in-laws who are in their 80's stayed all day Sat to help and then help packed up all the stuff left at the end of the sale.

My husband however has made me promise, "NO MORE GARAGE SALES" for the next few years. LOL Way too much work. I couldnt feel my feet by Sat night.

I would highly suggest this to anyone wanting to raise funds. Every little bit counts.

Well enough babble. LOL

Thanks for asking.

I have been kinda out of the loop on the forum. Have you guys gone to an orientation yet??

We have not. We have our app in but didnt make it in time for Sept We are hoping and praying that we get approved for Nov. We have learned that when it is our time, it will happen so if we are meant to be in Nov, we will be there. Sad we are not making it to Sept but ok too.

We also just finished our homestudy so we are all ready to go.

Well I hope to hear back from you.

Have a great night.

Gigi

Hi Stephaine,

Yes we really are blessed with great family and lots of great friends.

When we do get a child it will surely feel lots of love.

On my in-laws side it will be the first Grandchild and neice or nephew. My older brother had 5 children but the youngest is 9. Her and the 15 yr old can wait to baby sit they said. They keep asking when the baby is coming. LOL

The sale amazed us at how well it did and how much fun we had.

We no sooner got the house cleaned up after a month of donations coming in like crazy and now everyone is bring over gifts or stuff their kids never used. It is really neat.

We were going to start working on the nursery but decided to wait. With all the stuff that everyone has been bringing over it is kinda making me full of mixed emotions. I dont know how to put it into words but when a women is pregnant she knows when her baby is arriving but we have no due date and it is very hard to keep looking at all this baby stuff and no baby in site. I know it is going to happen and not on our terms but on God's but it doesnt make it any easier. I keep telling everyone, we are having a baby, we just dont know if it is a boy or girl and when they will be coming home.

We have kept our faith with God on this. He has a plan for us and we have accepted that He does know what he is doing with this and why.

I have come to realize now that I am not being punished with not having our own child but very VERY blessed that we will be able to adopt our child and I know they will still be our own child too. I cant wait to hear a little person in my house. :lol:

God bless the women who want to give their child a better life and put them up for adoption. What a wonderful gift that is for their child. They had other options.

Well I am off to bed. We are going up north by Cadilac to visit my brother for a nice long weekend tomorrow.

Hope you are settling in nicely in your new home. How is that coming along??

Good night

Gigi

Wow! Gigi!

You do have an overwhelming amount of love and support from family, neighbors, friends, and loved ones.

That is great! I see what you mean about feeling humbled and appreciative. I would feel the same way. You and your husband are very fortunate.

I'm sorry you won't be able to make it to the September orientation. Ours is not until next week- the 8th and 9th. But....November will fly by. Start getting stuff ready. Thqt's what we did. We were thinking of going in July but decided to go in September and I remember feeling that it was never going to happen! But I promise- it'll fly by. Keep yourself busy!

Please keep in touch!

Laura