Baby Step: Start-Up Advice for Newbies

TnT

Gigi,

Wow, what a success your sale was! Marcelo and I are having a Yard Sale on Sept. 16, and hopefully we will have a good turn out. We have already had donations from so many friends and family and yes, it is such a humbling feeling to know that so many people care. Marcelo finally got just as excited as me about the sale when his co-worker brought him some donations. I told him if you just share our story, people will rally around to help. I think it's human nature to want to do good!

... And November will be here before you know it, so get ready. It's not if, but when and we are living proof of that one!!! :P

Claudia,

One suggestion is to sell Pop, water and chips. Those were a big money makers. I sent out an email to all family and friends asking them if they could help with donations. If you would like to see a copy of the letter, let me know and I can email it to you.

We also hung signs up all over the yard stating it was an adoption sale and that really helped. A friend bought New Baby balloons and hung those also. It looked really cute.

I will say a little prayer for you that this sale goes well (and no rain) and you raise lots of money.

Please keep me posted on your success.

There is so much love out there that you dont even know is there until you do something like this and let others know you are doing it.

Post signs everywhere too.

Good luck

Gigi,

Thanks for all of the advice. I've definately been listening!

Claudia

• 2 weeks later...

Claudia,

How did your garage sale go?? I hope you brought in a TON of money!!

I cant wait to hear all about it.

Gigi

Gigi,

Claudia posted about her sale under her blog "And the journey continues..."

I'll just say the results were good :D!

But head over to her blog & read all about it ;).

• 1 year later...

Go figure-- Marcelo & Claudia have added another baby to their family, since this thread was last active-- as have a whole slew of other folks! Just thought this topic was worth reviving again, for all those prospective newbies out there that need reminding that today is the first day of the rest of your life-- so get going on that family now, whydoncha?! ;)

• 2 years later...

Gosh! It's been a long time since we were Forum regulars.

(Life seems to speed up as the kids get bigger.)

But I was online today and just wanted to stop by and wish everyone good luck!

Abrazo was a big part of our family's beginning and it's good to see their still going strong.

• 2 years later...

It's been awhile... anybody have any "baby steps" to offer for those who are brand new to the adoption universe and trying to get their bearings?

READ THE FORUM! Piece by piece, thread by thread. You'll come out feeling like you have an ounce of control in this adoption journey once you're armed with knowledge! This process has a way of leaving you feeling like you can't control a single thing and that can be disorienting for some, so the forum gives you the power to make wise decisions and feel confident in the "moves" you make.

• Upvote 2

I would add to try to connect and meet as many families in person as possible that have adopted! It helps to hear different stories and perspectives! For us, meeting a sweet Abrazo boy at a picnic was what made us truly think "this could really happen!" Seeing a success story in person gives so much inspiration and hope!!!!

Also, I think meeting others (adoptees, birthparents, extended birthfamilies) and getting their view on things helps a lot too!

READ THE FORUM! Piece by piece, thread by thread. You'll come out feeling like you have an ounce of control in this adoption journey once you're armed with knowledge! This process has a way of leaving you feeling like you can't control a single thing and that can be disorienting for some, so the forum gives you the power to make wise decisions and feel confident in the "moves" you make.

and to ADD to the above.....begin posting here on the FORUM....start a blog here on the FORUM

I think finding someone that has gone through it, that you can speak with is a wonderful way to start learning about adoption.

We are very Thankful for Monica and Gary Rasmussen for their support for when we officially decided to start our adoption journey.

Also, we are very fortunate that we have a ministry dedicated to adoption at our church. We went through a program called Adoption Discovery there in early 2011 and it was a great way to learn about adoption.

Edited by TexasFamily

I couldn't agree more with the recommendations posted - read and get involved in the forum (and make sure you read the topics from long ago, too - there are a lot of lessons to be learned!) and connect with others who have travelled this road and those who are travelling it with you. I am so thankful for those that went before me and were there for me/us on our journey (especially both of "my" Melissas :) ) and also those who were going through it at the same time sharing many of the same emotions. Friends of ours that started their journey at the same time as us at our first agency have become great friends and we are so glad we have each other.