ORIENTATION

Stork Central

Yes and if we did not keep you up late on Friday night then you would miss out on the late night singing and dancing we do when we are sleep deprived. That alone is worth the lack of sleep. tongue.gif

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and if we did not keep up up late on Friday night then you would miss out on the late night singing and dancing we do when we are sleep deprived.  That alone is worth the lack of sleep. tongue.gif

36299[/snapback]

You Abrazo ladies make coming to Orientation a worthwhile experience.

Linda

And you Abrazo clients make working in adoption a worthwhile experience! wink.gif

And you Abrazo clients make working in adoption a worthwhile experience!  wink.gif

36609[/snapback]

I guess its a win win situation.....We all get something from the experience and the added bonus is gaining the lifelong friendships... Who knew!

PS - Elizabeth - don't tell anyone but I'm getting addicted to the Forum... smile.gifsmile.gif

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Amanda -

I hope you are doing really well and life is good biggrin.gif Chip and I loved meeting you @ orientation and were very moved by your life story. It helped both of us get a better understanding of the gifts of open adoption. And it was really courageous of you to open up like that!

Here's to many blessings being brought your way wub.gif Hope to see you again soon @ future Camp Abrazos!!

Laura

Congratulations to all of the Tots. 

I loved meeting you a couple of months ago-and look at how many of you have placed!!

When looks like now huh??

hug sto you all and good luck!

Amanda biggrin.gif

35065[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Amanda -

I hope you are doing really well and life is good  biggrin.gif Chip and I loved meeting you @ orientation and were very moved by your life story.  It helped both of us get a better understanding of the gifts of open adoption.  And it was really courageous of you to open up like that!

Here's to many blessings being brought your way  wub.gif Hope to see you again soon @ future Camp Abrazos!!

Laura

Congratulations to all of the Tots. 

I loved meeting you a couple of months ago-and look at how many of you have placed!!

When looks like now huh??

hug sto you all and good luck!

Amanda biggrin.gif

35065[/snapback]

40678[/snapback]

We are scheduled to be in the June orientation but have not yet received an informational packet. When should we expect it by mail? My husband and I are anxious to make travel arrangements but are awaiting more details. Any info would be helpful. cool.gif

Dee... we're just a bit confused over how you would already have gotten "scheduled" for a June orientation, because we've not yet sent out any confirmation letters for the next orientation which has been postponed until July... have you received an application acceptance letter yet?

The July event will be a small group of only childless couples who are racially-open, since that is our greatest placement need right now. (Unfortunately, we cannot make room for more folks with kids until more of our current againers are successfully placed.)

Angela is mailing out confirmation packets next week to those who fit this profile; if you have any questions, please call her at the office.

My husband and I believed we were in the June orientation class because Angela called and told us it was scheduled for June 2nd and 3rd. I spoke with her aproximately 3-4 weeks ago and said she would be sending out information including all the details. She did not call to tell us the class was canceled. I tried to call her once reading your post but the office was already closed. I guess I will have to touch base with her on Monday. Thanks for the update.

• 2 months later...

ORIENTATION WEEKEND Ps & Qs

FRIDAY:

Come rested and fed (we serve primarily appetizers and cheap libations)!!!

(Because you will be kept up until the wee hours!!)

Attire is casual but required.

(Want to throw the agency personnel for a loop right from the start?

Change your appearance radically the night before,

as if you were entering the federal witness protection program,

then watch the Abrazo staff go into a tizzy Friday evening, trying to figure out who you are!)

Gather in the hotel lobby at 6:30 pm.

Make nice with other couples... you're going to know them for the rest of your lives, after all!

Give up any diet you may be on. Be yourselves. Take the trek to the cooler.

Make a deal with your spouse to nudge you if you (1) drink too much, (2) talk too long, or (3) fall asleep!

SATURDAY:

Come rested (oh, as if! Who are we kidding?)

Eat breakfast in the hotel atrium with your new best friends.

(You'll marvel at how well you know each other by now!)

Pretend not to notice that Abrazo starts everything late; because like it or not, the truth is,

almost nothing that happens at Abrazo occurs when you most expect it!

Switch your name tags with other group members first thing Saturday morning

and see if the staff actually notices (or not.) Keep 'em guessing!

Start thinking of clever names for your group

(because we vote by Abrazo-Applauso-Meter at day's end,

and Angela will give you The Look if she doesn't like any of your ideas.)

Bring your lumbar pillow, LazyBoy or masseuse along if you have back problems,

because it's gonna be a lonnnnnngggg day of sitting, for the most part.

If anyone in your group seems to be trying to butter up the staff

(and yup, you can generally spot 'em a mile away) sidle up to them during a break,

tell them how much you admire their moxie, and ask them to voice specific questions for the group

(then give 'em a list of all the things you really want to know about the process

that you know would cause your spouse to hurt you if you asked them out loud!!)

If you're vegan, bring plenty of protein bars along,

because the salad you get in lieu of barbecue at lunchtime will be long gone by mid-afternoon.

The key to endurance by Saturday afternoon can be summed up with one word: sugar.

You'll notice the staff pushing sucrose products with more and more urgency as the day progresses.

That's why. Partake of some and then some more.

After all, you're eating for two (or more!) from here on out, anyway!

Should an important sporting event (i.e., Longhorn/Aggies game) be transpiring during this event,

infrequent breaks to go out to check the scores are appropriate.

Seeking to be released from orientation to attend the game instead is not.

The reward for your endurance all day Saturday comes in a frosty mug that evening.

Reward yourself--over and over again.

(After all, you're not driving home! And you'll just have launched

the kind of pregnancy that does allow for conspicuous overconsumption.

Your partying days are coming to an end, buddy, and you already have

Abrazo's acceptance letter in hand, so make the most of it now.)

The really "happening" groups traditionally hold their own late-night "afterparty"

out by the hotel pool following supper.

Have the hotel shuttle driver stop by a convenience store for "supplies"

on your way back from the restaurant.

Note: do not allow agency employees to jump in the pool fully-clothed

or hotel personnel will call the cops on Abrazo and Angela will give you That Look again

and your spouse will never forgive you, afraid it'll get back to your homestudy worker.

The-really-rowdy-parents-to-be catch a cab downtown for breakfast at Mi Tierra at 4 am.

All sensible others, get to bed (then wish you had gone along,

once you're back home craving authentic Mexican fare.)

There'll be plenty of time for acting responsible and being a grown-up

once that baby comes home! So live it up, now!

SUNDAY & THEREAFTER:

Final note: kindly remember that Abrazo's offices are always closed

the two days following orientation weekends,

as our staff must recuperate and recreate some semblance

of professionalism and efficiency after you leave us.

However, if you're suffering Abrazo withdrawal, remember, there's always the Forum!

Remember, you have just ten (10) days to decide to commit to Abrazo's program--

so be sure to get that paperwork done and the funds sent in-- not if but when!!!

(because who will we send your baby home with, if you don't join up?!)

Bon voyage, future Parents-In-Waiting!

May your boat be sturdy, your waters smooth

and your sailing companions seaworthy.

:P:P:P

Sounds like a great time Elizabeth! Wish we were there! :D It's hard to believe that we started our journey at Orientation almost two years ago. How the time flies! Have fun everyone and get ready for the ride of your life!

Safe travels as you make your way to SA and Good Luck with your journey to parenthood to all those newbies headed to orientation this weekend. We can't wait to hear all about it!

Have a great time this weekend everyone!! You will not get much sleep, but will meet friends for a lifetime and start your journey on the ride of your life!! We cannot wait to hear the details and the name you choose.... :)

We made it to Texas last night and are here at the Hotel. The Hotel is preapring for the weekend as I was told last night by the front desk. According to him the pool will be locked at 10:00 PM and the key hidden. He said all this with a little head twitch and a look of fear in his eyes. :unsure: (What have you done to these poor people.) We look forward to meeting everyone tonight and to see why when we mention Abrazo to house keeping they all run away. :blink:

The Fritzens

We made it to Texas last night and are here at the Hotel. The Hotel is preapring for the weekend as I was told last night by the front desk. According to him the pool will be locked at 10:00 PM and the key hidden. He said all this with a little head twitch and a look of fear in his eyes. :unsure: (What have you done to these poor people.) We look forward to meeting everyone tonight and to see why when we mention Abrazo to house keeping they all run away. :blink:

The Fritzens

THAT was all the PeaBiscuits' fault! Because our good friend tluther can tell you who started the jumping-in-the-pool-with-clothes-on trick-- being an attorney, we figured she could keep us all safe when the fuzz showed up (ok, and come to think of it, maybe 10-4 Good Buddies had something to do with it as well, leaving those sticky stolen margarita pitchers around when they left that weekend...!) :P

Texas is a mighty wild place don't you know! Especially when the Abrazo Chicks are hosting PIW Orientation weekends. I'm sure a little ole' locked pool isn't going to be a problems at all! YEEEHA! You're going to have a blast. Have fun.

• 3 months later...