ORIENTATION

Stork Central

For those who are contemplating entry into Abrazo's parenting ranks, keep in mind that we have a three step admissions process:

1) Inquiry (or "preapplication" ) and approval

2) Application and approval

3) "Parents of Tomorrow" orientation weekend (and yes, attendance is required)

Abrazo's orientation weekend is a major investment of time and funds, but as former graduates can attest, it truly is the gateway to parenthood and the beginning of your psychological pregnancy.

Entrance is by invitation only, and only 8-12 couples are approved for each weekend, so space is limited. The agency makes orientation admittance decisions on the basis of agency placement resource needs, thus certain weekends are tailored to specific placement qualifications (ie., childless couples, open to varying infant ethnicities, etc.) Please contact Angela at Abrazo for more information.

(Note: completed, approved inquiry and application forms must be on file prior to event registration.)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cathy

I got a little nervous when I read the comment by we adopted three, about after the orientation weekend that if open  about age, race , gender etc...you could adopt by 12 months?  I was told the "average" wait for biracial was 3 months and Hispanic was 6 months?  I was not really prepared to wait a year?  Thanks,,, Cathy

Abrazo doesn't offer wait time estimates based on skin pigmentation or ethnicity alone, since there are so many unknown variables which impact the process, as WeAdoptedThree mentioned; however, the agency's official website and other printed materials generally advise prospective clients that the average wait time is 6-12 months, with many placements happening in less than 6 months for those who are childless, with more flexible placement preferences. Hope this is helpful to those trying to understand the timing of the process.

Guest Robin

Hi,

Couple of questions about finance.

1) How much is the application fee.

2) Do you have to pay for the orientation weekend.

3)After being approved how do the payments work,

I don't know if these questions allowed to be asked, but if so please eduacate be on the costs.

Thanks,

Robin

Hi all.  Just thought I would add some thoughts to this discussion...

The orientation weekend was one of the best things we ever did - even if I was VERY sick (bronchitis) that weekend!  You get together with all the other prospective parents and when the weekend is over you have friends who are going through the same thing you are -- to talk to and comfort you (and pray for you) every step of the way.  There is a small fee for the weekend's activities (don't know what it is now), but it was well worth it.  The Abrazo family are great folks and the advice and assistance on putting together the "Dear Birthparents" letter and information is great.

It really isn't possible, of course, to tell you exactly how long it will take to match with a birthmother.... when we went through the Parents of Tomorrow weekend, there were (I think) 11 couples, including 2 families who were "againers" (adopting a second child) -- all 11 of our families had matched by 11 months - and most of them had already taken placement and so they had their children in their arms by then.  We were lucky to match very, very quickly - we were holding our newborn daughter exactly two weeks after the start of our weekend! (POT weekend started Friday, Feb 21 - we took placement (and started walking on air!) Friday, March 7) :o

A view from my perch and another "perk" to the Orientation weekend . . . make wonderful new friends. Like me and Dr. Mom, we are alums from the 1997 Tennessee Cousins groups. (NOTE to Dr. Mom, I still giggle how so many non-Tennesseans showed up at that Orientation!) So, go for the gusto. Get ready for baby . . . escape the reality of your day-to-day life . . . get the best adoption education under the sun . . . and make friends that can last a lifetime if you keep in touch. The Forums has been an amazing place for me. I've reunited not only w/ past adoptive parents, but also birthparents I've been able to now over time. It just supports how much you need others to help you parent your cherubs.

Loving thoughts to all -- Diane

Yep - MOST of the participants were NOT from Tennessee!  So we met people from all over the country -- And KatieandKevsMom is right! You make good friends -- we are still in touch with each other, though not as often as we might like!

Most importantly (I think) was the sense of hope the weekend gave us.  Those of you who have worked with Abrazo already know their "it's not if (you will have a child0 but when" motto - and after that weekend I really believe we would someday be a family.  Before that weekend, the hope had really gone out of me because so many things had not worked out -- but seeing the Abrazo gang and hearing what they had to say and talking with the other prospective parents renewed my faith -- and as I said above, we actually became a family rather quickly!

• 3 months later...

DATE CHANGE!

Please note that the last Parents of Tomorrow weekend for 2001 has been moved to November 2-4, and that the host hotel site is now Hill Country Inn & Suites; those interested in attending must have completed inquiry and application on file and contact Angi Moller, Family Services Coordinator, for official registration forms and further confirmation.

• 4 weeks later...

Any word yet on the orientation weekends for 2002? We have friends who may be interested...

• 1 year later...

NEW PROSPECTIVE PARENTS ARE NEEDED FOR 2003!!

Abrazo's ranks of adoptive parents in 2002 is quickly dwindling, due to the number of parents-in-waiting who have successfully matched and/or placed this year, and the agency is in need of additional adoptive families to meet our anticipated number of children needing loving homes in 2003!!

Our Texas (in-state) families have placed particularly quickly this year, as have our childless couples who are bicultural (of Hispanic and Anglo or Anglo-Hispanic descent) or biracial (one spouse being Anglo and the other African-American). Singles open to children of part or full African-American background have become parents in record time. And Abrazo continues to need adoptive applicants who are open to full Hispanic infants, or toddlers and sibling groups.    

If you are looking to adopt, we hope you're looking at Abrazo! We've helped nearly a thousand folks get on their way to parenting since 1994, and we need more great families to continue the tradition. For more information or 2003 orientation dates (starting with February!) please call our family services coordinator, Angela, at 210/342-LOVE and see if our programs fit your needs. Hope to hear from you!

• 1 month later...

I know in 2002 (and maybe even 2001) - Orientations were only held in San Antonio, TX so I would assume that's the case in 2003.  At one time, they held them in different states but the last I'm aware of, they're just in Texas (but that may be different with 2003 so Abrazo...if I'm incorrect, please jump in and correct me).

The dates for the 2003 Orientations can be found under:

Potpourri

Abrazo News

Whats2BN2003

Thanks,

Lisa

• 3 months later...

With nearly half of our April orientation weekend's participants already placed or matched, Abrazo is once again in particular need of childless Texas couples for our full-service infant placement program... the next orientation weekend is June 6-7 and while we have all the families-with-children that we need at this time, we are still seeking several more Texan parenting wannabes, particularly those with expanded racial expectations and no gender preferences, so please pass the word. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful photos of the Junebuggies.  If you are anything like the Great Bambino Fest  you have made some life long friends and are on your way to the answer to your prayers!

Happy Fourth!

• 3 months later...

It's a nice problem to have, but we've been so busy placing babies lately, our loyal Family Services Coordinator is going to have to sacrifice one of her treasured UT football weekends to bring some new clients into the fold!

Due to heavy birthparent demand for childless couples and Abrazo's nearly depleted supply of such parents-in-waiting, we are necessarily moving up our December orientation weekend to November 14-15 (2003). Especially needed, as always, are Texan homes, and prospective parents for infants and toddlers of Hispanic descent.

For more information (or to make a reservation for this funfilled, fast-track weekend), please call Angela Martinez, M.S.W. at 210/342-5683, M-F, 8:30 am - 5:30 pm, and let us help launch a dream come true!

• 3 months later...

What weekends will orientations be this year?

Here are this year's orientation dates (and thanks for asking!)

March 5-6, 2004

May 14-15, 2004

July 16-17, 2004

September 17-18, 2004

November 5-6, 2004

Remember, participation is by invitation only, and space is limited, so do have your completed inquiry, application and supporting documents on file as soon as possible, in order to be considered for inclusion in the weekend of your choice.

While Abrazo has occasionally offered regional orientations in other areas of the country in accordance with demand, the above-weekends are all scheduled to occur in San Antonio, at a variety of select hotels offering generous discounts to our attendees. (Note: some orientation weekends are limited to specific kinds of families, so consult with Abrazo's Family Services Coordinator in advance.)

Without "giving away" what happens on Friday night and/or Saturday, is there any "pre-orientation advice" that some of our "been-there-done-that" crowd can offer the newbies, on how to get the most out of the weekend?

Thanks for the dates...

As for any pre-orientation advice...

I would say to spend some time just thinking about where you've been, where you are, and where you want to go and why (in terms of infertility, family, etc).  Nothing too intense...just give it a little thought - never a bad idea to look inside yourself and try to put it all together.

Go into it realizing that it may be a long, long, long time before you get to all be together with this group of people again - yet you'll leave all with something in common - you'll all be official "Parents-In-Waiting".  Any chance you have to socialize with these people - go for it.  If you're usually an early to bed person - have an open mind about staying up late a night or two - even if there's a suggestion to go somewhere you wouldn't normally go (our group wanted to go to this trendy bar type thing (all I could think of was "how much cigarette smoke will be there?  yuck!!;) and I was tired and didn't want to go (mostly because of cigarette smoke) but we had a really persistent one in our group who was really perky and peppy and she talked us into it and I am SOOO glad I didn't let that opportunity pass me by.

-Lisa

Lisa, you sound just like me as far as the cigarette smoke.  The best thing I can say about orientation weekend is get ready.... it will change your life and the way you view adoption.  Go with an open mind because you will hear lots of great information.  Your fellow weekend buddies are not your competition.  You will know this more than ever when you hear of their placements and how excited you will be for them, knowing everyone will get the right baby at the right time.  The weekend is totally worth the time and expense and you may even meet some lifelong friends.

Also keep in mind that you when you return back home with your dream in toe, the rest of the family (parents, friends etc.) will not be as far along as you, they need more time.  It's too bad the whole extended family is not invited to orientation, it would be so much easier.

I believe the orientation weekends provided the essential foundation for both of our successful adoptions.  Karen

Clarification please ....

Are the dates for the March 2004 orientation correct?  Or, should it be March 5-6?

Thank you, Feeling Blessed, for bringing this to our attention.  Extra points for you!! Want to join us for this weekend? We've long suspected a little blue bundle was still in your future--or should be!!  ;)

Surely you jest, Stork Central ...!

Three little pink bundles of joy are about all we can handle right now ... especially when we think about dance lessons, piano lessons, proms to come, all-important college educations, future weddings, etc.!!!!!!!!!

(Although I have to admit that now that the last one is out of diapers there is this strange longing for just one more armful of baby!!!!!)