ORIENTATION

Stork Central

Welcome to the start of a great journey! You will be so impressed with Abrazo.

For your profile, just start finding some good pictures of you, your husband, family, and home. You can also start thinking about what you would like to say to potential birthparents. Abrazo will help at orientation.

As far as financing, we did not have ours secured until after orientation. However, if you are going to do a loan, you may start talking to your mortgage company about home equity loans or your banker. We went to our banker and told him what we were doing and I think they got excited about helping us out. Also talk to family. But mostly, remember God will provide.

I am glad we got our homestudy started before orientation. It takes a little time and Abrazo moves SO fast that it saves you from having to wait if they are ready to get you matched with a birthparent.

I look forward to hearing about your journey. Your forum friends are here.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suzy,

I totally agree with Laurie re: the homestudy. We had ours finished before going to orientation. We were sooooo glad that we did. smile.gif Because Abrazo had its own set of paperwork and requirements to handle upon returning from orientation.

Suzy,

I'll echo Toni & Laurie's response. But I'll throw my 2 cents in as well just because, I want to smile.gif

Before orientation we had most of our money figured, but once we were matched w/ our first match we scrambled to secure the remaining funds, b/c like when you build a house you always run into unexpected expenses & need more money....so be realistic & aim higher than you think on your budget.

Homestudy....We had all of our paper work turned in for our homestudy prior but had not had any of the visits prior to orientation. I would just advise you to stay on top of the homestudy, if I had not ours wouldn't have gotten done or taken a lot longer. There were some papers missing from our doctors & no one was letting us know that. Also learn all about your states requirements. We live in Virginia & our orientation group has heard our woes about Virginia's wacko laws.

Profile...we took our letter w/ us. I wasn't comfortable putting the profile together until Abrazo approved the letter & pictures. We also took a bunch of photos w/ us for them to look at advise us on which pictures were best. I am picky, ok anal, about pictures so before orientation we, rather I took a pile of pictures to use in the profile. I also used some that were a year old. Just go for things that descibe you & what you do. Get as clear as possible pictures. If you scrapbook that helps, b/c you know how to go for clear/crisp pictures. Or recruit a friend who is good photo taker. Finally, before I put the profile to together, I faxed a 'final rough' draft of our letter to Abrazo to read for more feed back.

Ok, I've said way more than I needed, but hopefully that helps. Good luck & just know that you are entering a ride that will change your life FOREVER! Welcome aboard, wink.gif

A word of caution in completing the homestudy early: You must have a current homestudy. If you get it too early, you may have to have an update because TX law requires that it has to have been done within 6 months of placement. What does that mean? Another visit and another check. Not a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.

WELCOME to The Forum, Suzy. We're glad you're here!

Thank you all so much!!! This helps tremendously. I am really impressed so far with not just Abrazo but the type of information and support I am finding from adoptive families. We are very excited about the whole thing and want to do everything just right. I don't want to rush it, I want to make sure I'm waiting on God so that everything falls into place as it should. I want my family to be right for a child and for a child to be right for our family. I know "birth pains" will come, but that's just part of the journey.

Thanks again for all the helpful information. I'm definitely taking all advice to heart.

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

Chris and I just found out today that we are offically coming to the March orientation biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Words cannot express the excitement we have. I am suppose to be studying for a pharm test and can not (I repeat can not) concentrate.

Chris and I should have the homestudy completed by our orientation and Angela recommended working on our birthmother letter and gathering pictures. I will look around the forum for some advice.

I am also sure there is a topic on the financial aspect if anyone can steer me in the right direction, it will be appreciated.

Thank you and look forward to getting to know everyone.

Amy

Amy,

Great to see you on the forum.

As you probably know, there are lots of us from Memphis.

And our favorite topic of discussion is always adoption.

So, feel free to ask away.

Wow, another Memphis area family!!! It won't be long until we have this state filled with Abrazo babies!!

Welcome to Abrazo Amy! You will have a great time at orientation. I can't believe it has almost been 4 years since we attended!

I can't wait to hear more of your adoption journey.

Edited by melissamerritt

Welcome, Amy!!! It's great to have another couple from Memphis on board!! laugh.gif There are SEVERAL of us from the Memphis area on the forum, so ask away ... we're all just so shy about answering! tongue.gif HA! And check out the Hearts for Adoption group that meets at Christ United Methodist .... some of us drop in periodically. wink.gif

Orientation will change your life. Welcome to the journey that is open adoption. Can't wait to watch your journey unfold!

Edited by mwalker

Welcome to Abrazo, Amy!!! I can't wait to follow your journey to the precious baby (or babies wink.gif ) that is awaits you. Definitely take a look around the forum topics.

You have already taken a wise step in getting the homestudy almost complete. That could help speed your journey.

As far as starting your profile, look for pictures that showcase you and your husband. Some also include pictures of their home, extended family, doing hobbies. Many tell a story with their pictures or have a theme they carry throughout their profile pages. They don't recommend profiles over 3 pages (front and back) or 6 (front side only).

Their are a few forum topics regarding finances that you will find. My husband and I just went to our bank and took out a consumer loan. Most of the other people I know do a home equity loan. We just took placement of our daughter in October and we are already saving for the next adventure. biggrin.gif

Thank you Memphis gals,

Chris and I actually went to the Hearts for Adoption meeting this month. The people were wonderful. We met Kathryn and Jay and Barbara and Ken. We hope to return next month.

I can't wait to get to know everyone and enjoy our adoption journey.

Amy

(I am so excited I just saw we have a chili pepper next to us, what does that mean?) unsure.gif

To Amy and Suzy, my name is Diana. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant, so that makes me a birthmom on this site. Ashley and Ted Wilder are the AP's for this lil guy. Or as I like to call em, the mommy and daddy. Anyway, they are from the Memphis area and are AWESOME!!! So holler at them if you get a chance. Everyone on here is great!!! Like one big family. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to you and wish you the best of luck through your adoption journey.

Amy,

We plan on attending the Hearts for Adoption on March 8. I hope we get a chance to meet you there.

Toni

Amy

I am sooo excited for you and Chris. I was sooo hoping that you would go this route. Believe me you won't be dissapointed and if you need any help I will be glad to help out!!! I tried to e-mail you before and never got a response so I don't know if you even got it. I did not want you to feel neglected as I really sent you pictures of Cason while I was in San Antonio!!! smile.gif

I am going to call you and I will e-mail you our profile just to guide you.

Call Ellen Rardin to get your home study going; believe me having these 2 things behind you is such a relief.

Again I am so glad Geri sent you to me; you will be so blessed through this as you will fullfill your dream of Parenthood. You will not believe how much you and Chris will grow through this process.

Much Love

Ronda

Hello everyone,

Chris and I just found out today that we are offically coming to the March orientation  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif Words cannot express the excitement we have.  I am suppose to be studying for a pharm test and can not (I repeat can not) concentrate.

Chris and I should have the homestudy completed by our orientation and Angela recommended working on our birthmother letter and gathering pictures.  I will look around the forum for some advice.

I am also sure there is a topic on the financial aspect if anyone can steer me in the right direction, it will be appreciated.

Thank you and look forward to getting to know everyone.

Amy

30515[/snapback]

Amy,

I enjoyed talking with your earlier today! Welcome aboard and get ready for the ride of your life! tongue.gifbiggrin.gif You will find a whole new family with the staff of Abrazo and the folks here on the forum! Good luck on your test- can't wait to get the coffee/lunch! Chat again with ya soon!

Love,

Ashley

Yup, there are my wonderful AP's. Amy, I was going to tell you that if you ever want to know anything from a birth moms point of view, feel free to ask. Most of the BP's on here including myself would be happy to tell you anything or answer anything you may wonder about.

Thanks everyone I haven't been on the forum since Friday (studying) and I took my test tonight....now I can get back on the forum smile.gif

Hope everyone in Memphis and around enjoyed the beautiful day. We took Indy to Dog Rules and she is ssssoooo tired.

Have a good rest of the week.

amy

Hey Amy

Did you recieve the Profile???? I could not tell if it ended up going through or not.

Your Dog is very lucky!!! and no matter what people try to tell you; your Dog will not be forgotten about after you get Baby Donnellen!!!!

I am so excited for you both and all the March Orientation Attendees.

See ya later and Happy Studying tongue.gif

Rhonda,

The profile came through about 5pm on Saturday, wierd huh. Thank you so much. In our orientation packet they sent some samples and I have already started working on ideas. Although I must say it's hard to come up with a theme.

We have already picked out our family picture (Indy included). I am sure she will take to a baby. Last night we were going to bed and I couldn't find her. She was laying in the chair next to the Moses basket (Chris just bought me this past weekend as a surprise) in our soon to be nursery. I told Chris she must know something is going to be changing and she's warming up to the idea cool.gif

Anyone else out there going to the March orientation....just 29 more days!!!

Amy

Hi Amy,

Chris and I will be attending the next orientation with you. We are what is called in Abrazoland "Againers". We hope to have our second Abrazo baby and I can assure you there is no better place to find your special little one.

The Abrazo ladies will make sure we have an exciting and emotional weekend then all the fun really begins....

I look forward to meeting you then. Please let me know if we can help you guys in any way.

Let the rollercoaster begin!

Gabriela and Chris

P.S. We live in El Paso. Where are you from?

Amy,

This is going to be such a wonderful, exciting time for you! If you need any help, advice or want to vent, please feel free. And don't you worry about the dog ...we had three babies (recently lost one to cancer) and they adjusted just fine to Katharine. laugh.gif

Hi Gabriela,

I have heard wonderful things regarding Abrazo and knowing you are going through it again with them is reassuring.

Chris and I live in Memphis, TN and have found that there are quite a few families around here that have went through Abrazo and love it smile.gif

I am looking forward to meeting you and Chris (already 2 Chris's in the group!) and joining the adoption journey tongue.gif

mwalker thanks for the welcome and I hope I get to meet you at one of the Memphis Abrazo mom's and mom's in waiting lunches rolleyes.gif

Everyone have a good weekend. Since it's 9:30 pm I'm going with 26 days left!!!!

amy