Age of adoptive parents

Guest AngelaC

This from an Associated Press story in today's newspaper

GREAT-GRANDMA, 59, PREGNANT WITH TWINS

A 59 year old great-grandmother is pregnant with twins and is due next month, three decades after her tubes were tied.

"They came untied," Frances Harris said Thursday.

The multiple birth due Dec 21 would break a purported record set this week by a 56 year old New York mother of twins.

Harris said she wasn't trying to get pregnant -- and didn't realize she was -- until she started gaining weight and went to see her doctor.

The news was even more shocking considering Harris -- the mother of five, grandmother of 14 and great-grandmother of six -- had her tubes tied 33 years ago.

Harris had her first child when she was 15; 44 years will separate her first-born from the newborns.

The oldest American believed to have given birth to twins is Aleta St. James, who turns 57 today. (See Elizabeth Ann's Nov 11 post).

Okay, folks, anyone care to top this one???

• 1 year later...
Okay, folks, anyone care to top this one???

Try this one on for size: Fertility Doctors Help impregnate 63-Year-Old Grandma

And on top of that, she and her 60 year old hubby are newlyweds.

Stork Central hesitates to impose its values on anyone else, but to this tale, we can only say "...enough is enough!" ohmy.gif

(Just because senior citizens can get pregnant doesn't necessarily mean they should.)

Well, this sounds very judgemental, but I think that it is selfish. I don't think it is fair to the child. Just my opinion!

Elaine huh.gif

I already get mistaken as Catherine's grandmother (when my gray roots show between salon visits tongue.gif ). (Of course, I would be a very young grandmother, if I were!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif )

This child will be living with parents old enough to be his or her great-great grandparents!

I hope there are some other (younger) relatives around to step in if/when health problems do occur.

Edited by marthaj

• 5 months later...

It's official-- here's research that proves that mamas over 50 are just as effective at parenting as women half their age: Yo, Mama-- You're The Bomb At Any Age! (Sorry, guys-- apparently the jury's still out on older dads.)

It's official-- here's research that proves that mamas over 50 are just as effective at parenting as women half their age: Yo, Mama-- You're The Bomb At Any Age! (Sorry, guys-- apparently the jury's still out on older dads.)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Who knew! :P

Wow! The article says that, "Women in their 40's rated lowest in dealing with stress while those in their 30's rated highest followed buy those in their 50's." NOW they tell me that I'm in the group that rates lowest!!!!! :blink::huh::lol:

Marjory-- if I hadn't read your application, I'd have guessed you were in that very highest group! :P

Looking good, Mama!

LOL!!! :lol: Thanks, Elizabeth! Do NOT get those eyes checked .... I like the way you see!!! ;)

Wow! The article says that, "Women in their 40's rated lowest in dealing with stress while those in their 30's rated highest followed buy those in their 50's." NOW they tell me that I'm in the group that rates lowest!!!!! :blink::huh::lol:

Marjory,

You look like you should be in the 20's group that wasn't even mentioned!!!

Celeste

Being one of those moms who is quickly approaching 50,

AND after spending the past week parenting EIGHT (yeah, you read it right -- 8!) children who were between the ages of 2 and 9 years old (while my brother and his wife took a well-deserved all-expense paid trip on his company),

I have to say that ...

YEAH, BABY! WE CAN DO IT!!!!

(Now, can someone PUH-LEEZ find me a nice warm bed and turn out all the lights ... :rolleyes:)

I'm not at all surprised about Moms in their 50s. However, while I do think when you have children older (like me), you are mentally more prepared for all of it...............but physically.... well, the 20 something body / energy would probably be a great help to me!!

AMEN to that, Toni!!! I definitely need an energy infusion!!! :lol:

Celeste, you are cracking me up! Although, more comments along those lines WILL get you more gifts for Andrew!! :P

FeelingBlessed ....WOW --- I'm impressed! That's all I can say!

• 1 year later...

Great articles!

So far, no one has mistaken me for Lydia's grandmother, but I do leave those "I love Grandma" bibs at home when we go out so there's no confusion!

OK, most people may not know a lot about my situation. I'm 49; Nina is 39. We got married in 2002. Is it a little weird turning 50 with a toddler and an infant running me ragged? I guess. Would I have it any other way? Nope.

Frankly, I wasn't ready to get married or have kids when I was younger. I wasn't responsible enough. Certainly, I never found the right woman.

Overall, I can't worry about age. I know that I married the woman I was meant to marry. I also know that we're raising the children we're supposed to be raising. My wife is happy, I'm happy, our kids are happy. My family gets the benefit of a calmer, wiser, more complete me (I hope that doesn't come off as arrogant). And I am in a much better position to appreciate the wonderful gifts in my life. So my being older definitely has its advantages for every member of my family.

Oh, and yes, I robbed the cradle. And I'm darn proud of it. ;)

I had to chuckle at Josie Maye's grandpa (my dad) this week when he was holding her and looked up at me and said, "could you have done this 15 years ago?" I looked at him and asked why he said that: he said, "so I could keep up :lol:."

Cathy

• 7 months later...

In what was considered a rather controversial case, Lynda LaPlante, a wealthy English novelist adopted a Caucasian newborn from an American agency at the age of 57 (or maybe she was more like 62, according to the Weakest Link host, who grew up in the same town?). At any rate, LaPlante's adoption through Florida circumvented British adoption standards that could have eliminated her from consideration there, due to her single status and advanced age. Read what she has to say about it, five years later: Whose Best Interests Came First? and about a recent encounter she had with Anne Robinson, who had publicly criticized her for lying about her age: click here.

• 7 months later...

Sadly, the world's oldest mom (a native of Spain, who underwent fertility treatment in the U.S. in order to birth twins at age 66) is now dead, and her twin boys are just three years old: read it here.

How very very sad indeed.