Financing An Adoption

Stork Central

• 3 weeks later...

Where does one go to find ideas?? What I have read so far does interest me!

Julie

Bumping this up for anyone new to the forum.

There is a great wealth of websites, idea etc to make finding funds for your adoption much easier.

I would be interested in those websites also. I have looked at a few. The interest rates are from 7.99 and up. Hope everyone is having a good day!

Thanks,

Tracey

A site with a fairly extensive list of resources for help with defraying or covering adoption costs

Stephen & Barbara Burke's Website listing funding resources for an adoption

Hope this helps.

A site with a fairly extensive list of resources for help with defraying or covering adoption costs

Stephen & Barbara Burke's Website listing funding resources for an adoption

Hope this helps.

Thanks a million. There is a lot of information. Have a good evening and safe. The weather people are predicting rain, ice, or snow tonight. What else is there? haha.

Thanks,

Tracey

Yes--Tons of information!!! Thanks, Melissa!

Where in Western Kentucky are you from?? I grew up just outside of Mayfield! I'm a Graves County High School Grad!

Julie

Hey all,

Just wanted to post this comment about a grant program listed in regards to "financing adoption" from a recent Adoptive Families article:

"After our first adoption my husband and I founded Helpusadopt.org a national non-profit financial grant program designed to help couples/individuals (regardless of race, religion, marital status or sexual prefernece) with their adoption expenses. We are accepting applicaitons now ---the deadline is April 18th for our June 2008 grants and we are going to award $50,000! WWW.helpusadopt.org"

Maybe this could help one of you!! Good luck on your journeys!

Thanks! I will check it out today!

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

I see from previous posts that some of you have had yard sales to help finance your adoption. Would it be odd for us to do this post-placement (since Nichole came WAY before we thought she would)? I am struggling with this one, because most people don't know about the $$ that has gone into it (and will continue to through finalization!). We aren't struggling financially, but it would be nice to have the loans taken care of sooner rather than later.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? I won't be offended by honesty!

I would do one Amanda.

When we did our yard sale, we put a huge sign up that stated that all money was going to help finance an adoption. We even ran ads in the paper saying the same thing. You would be surprised how many people told us to keep the change.

Would it be odd for us to do this post-placement (since Nichole came WAY before we thought she would)? We aren't struggling financially, but it would be nice to have the loans taken care of sooner rather than later. Any thoughts and/or suggestions? I won't be offended by honesty!

Hmmm... maybe it's just me and the fact that the whole issue of money vs. children makes me squirm when they're too closely juxtaposed... but I wouldn't want to advertise that my yard sale was intended to help me afford to keep the kids who live in my house... adoption or no...? (Although I'm chuckling even as I type that, because don't we all sell off our extra junk to pay for what's of value to us in our home?) But given that the justified public perception that children are placed for adoption with folks that have proven to be financially secure, you might want to think twice about the message that a "post-adoption yard sale" at this point could possibly send others (including your daughters, one day?)

Amanda, I do not know how people would feel about a post adoption yard sale. I guess they may figure you made it this far, you already have your daughter, why would you need extra funds unless there is extenuating circumstances like unexpected special needs, etc? We all have bills that we would like paid sooner than later, some may think to themselves. Come to think of it, why does anyone need to know why you are having a yard sale? And if you wanted to share some of your reasons, you could just say to help defray costs of finalization, coming up in a few months. :)

Your question reminded me (not that it is anything similar) of a horribly tragic story of a family that found themselves caring for a once healthy and now wheel chair bound young toddler after surviving a car accident. (Some would say her survival was not exactly a blessing.) Long story short, the Mom and Dad were members of the local country club, where I played tennis at the time. Several of the families wanted to do a fund raiser for them at the country club and they did. I always thought it was strange because if I found myself and my family financially stressed (due to medical bills, and especially ones that were not going to go away, ever), the first thing I would do is drop the country club membership. Some would argue they need their hobbies now more than ever. It just did not make alot of sense to me. Were we being asked to support their country club dues and/or to help buy medical equipment for their daughter? Not sure.

Anyways, back to Amanda's question... I hope you get some other responses.

Karen

I think the yard sale could be a good idea, but I wouldn't advertise that it is to help afford the adoption. You could tell close friends and maybe tell people it's to help "pay off the loans that made her adoption successful".

I am actually wondering for us if selling stuff (like Pampered Chef) and putting all the earnings toward the adoption appropriate? I am thinking about selling Discovery Toys (educational toys for kids). My sister sells them and I actually joined and have friends who are going to have parties for me but I'm not sure if this is still inappropriate. We are NOT used to asking for help, so this is a hard hit to our pride, but even if we can come up with a couple thousand it will help.

I just don't want to lay on the guilt for people to feel like they HAVE to buy stuff...ya know?

Natalie

I appreciate all of the thoughts shared here. It has really given me some things to think about.

Natalie, one of the things a friend at church said is that many of our friends would love to help, but they don't know how. When somone in our church is pregnant, we try to help them with anything we can. With adoption, it is usually more prayer and financial help that is needed. If you have friends that want to help you, I say allow it. One of the things that we are to do in church is bless others. This is one way that your friends will be able to help you.

Dale and I also struggle with the pride of self-support. I think that is why I was questioning the yard sale. We have worked to get to a position that we are often able to help others rather than need it ourselves.

Good luck with the adoption funds!

I think the yard sale could be a good idea, but I wouldn't advertise that it is to help afford the adoption. You could tell close friends and maybe tell people it's to help "pay off the loans that made her adoption successful".

I am actually wondering for us if selling stuff (like Pampered Chef) and putting all the earnings toward the adoption appropriate?

I just don't want to lay on the guilt for people to feel like they HAVE to buy stuff...ya know?

Natalie

Merely my thoughts here, but I don't think that putting earnings from these sales towards adoption is at all inappropriate. Adoption is a an expensive process. That is a reality and finding "acceptable" ways to finance it is certainly understandable. The worry about being self-sufficient and being humble is understandable too. We feel the same way.

Now, as for the guilt trip, I personally feel that any type of product party carries with it the obligation to purchase something. Do you 'have' to make a purchase? No. Is it more or less expected of the guests? Yes (in my opinion) or at least the guest feels that way. My saying this though is not to discourage you from having the party.

I think it is a nice way to raise additional funds to help with the financial burden of adoption. It is a win-win. You get financial assistance, and the guest gets both a quality product (like Pampered Chef - we have tons of that stuff) and the added benefit of knowing they helped, in some small way, unite a family through adoption :).

As a guy, I've never attended a Pampered Chef party, or any product party for that matter, but I know both my wife and I have purchased many things from the parties she's attended or that we've been invited to.

I would prefer to know that my purchasing something at one of these parties is helping a friend achieve their goal of adopting a child. That is a great cause (one near and dear to my own heart obviously) and would actually make me want to buy more stuff than I would at regular party of the same type. It would help me justify "do I Need more of this stuff?" as well :lol:;) (no offense to those who sell it as most of the Pampered Chef stuff we've bought really is high quality).

Whew, good thing they don't have hardware parties (I've probably got more drills than one guy should own.... :lol: )

So, I suggest you let the parties go on :)

Good luck.

-Adam

Thanks!!

So far, we have had good responses. But it helps that the toys are good quality (and educational...something that you can't find just anywhere in todays cheap over-stimulating stores). I do feel like this takes work...I have to plan the parties, put the orders in, show the stuff, learn about it, etc etc. The only reason I don't feel bad about doing this is that I can bring Cooper with me (although I might now if my dh can watch him) so I don't feel like I'm neglecting him during that time. Plus I don't feel as guilty asking my friends to buy toys (something every parent likes to do) rather than makeup or something. Hopefully this will be fun for me (though I have to tell myself not to spend my earnings on toys for Cooper! LOL

The whole money thing just stinks, but it's worse when you have a child because you don't want to stop doing everything all of a sudden (like the little extras).

Natalie

• 2 months later...

Great reference................Top 100 Employers supporting adoption!

Topp 100 Companies supporting Adoption

• 1 month later...

Ok, we "get" that adoption is the investment of a lifetime, that most folks only want to adopt babies, and that not everyone has that kind of money just laying around, but something about this kind of "news story" just feels icky to us, however admirable their intentions may be: KY Couple Holding Garage Sale to Afford New Baby.

Maybe nobody's let them in on the secret: that the children who most need someone wanting to "find a child that has no home, that has no parents and give it love and support and direction" can be adopted at virtually no cost at all-- through the state.

Call us cynical, but to see just some of the KY kids-in-need, who would give anything to grow up with a family and a farm, click here.

I felt that this family has a misperception that babies "need" a family and a home. I sent the reporter an e-mail including the link. I am sure it won't get passed on, but I felt that if all this couple is wanting is to give a home to a child that doesn't have one, that would be a better route. There were no children under 5, but I had to get out of there because of some beautiful eyes of a young girl there!!!

I doubt that there will be a reply, but I tried.

I don't know...I had friends that did this, including selling pampered chef to raise money. I don't think it's all that bad. I know we thought about it this time before we realized we had the money thankfully.

I don't think it's always a matter of "okay, you don't have 20,000 so do foster." Foster care is specific...it is HARD. I have many family who has adopted or fostered. We even thought about it, until we never recieved a phone call at. all. This was about a little girl who had drug issues & none of her family wanted her (poor thing), I happened to know someone who knew the foster mom is how we found out about it... Foster care isn't always an option & it can be a long very hard road dealing with the state...waiting for TPR, and some people do want an infant (like us). Selfish? Maybe...but adoption is selfish for many aparents.

Anyways...I don't think the normal family has 10 - 20,000 plus laying around they can access for an adoption. It was HARD for us to save the money, but thankfully we were able to. A lot of financially successful people aren't. That's a lot of money though and some people need help to raise it. I'm not sure I would judge a family because they weren't able to find 20,000 for an infant adoption so they tried to raise the money.

Now that being said I am not fond of a lot of the wording in it...like they are saving the child, but that may just be the person who wrote it.

Now that being said I am not fond of a lot of the wording in it...like they are saving the child, but that may just be the person who wrote it.

I think the wording is what bothered me the most. They may well have wanted it to sound like they were saving a needy child in order to gain public favor and bring in additional $$. I don't know. If I had been the subject of that news story, I would not have been happy about it.

I know that foster care is hard. We went through the state. We were a certified foster home. We had a terrible situation. I just know that babies usually don't need a good home. Older children are the ones that "need."

I'm not knocking someone for raising funds to adopt. Many need assistance to make their dreams come true. It is the way this story makes it sound...and knowing that I have many of my forum family members that are waiting for their child to come home that gets me.

Yeah I totally agree Amanda...I wasn't too fond of the wording. I already don't like people to think we adopted to save a child.

I thought this was dissing the yard sale itself...I will say going public & writing an article on it is a bit much right? Plus the address in there?? I mean...wow...basically that tells me you hope people send anonymous donations. Which is sorta ewwwky (this is my pride talking too though).

Edited by Runyan2002

Hello, This couple in the article is actually from my area. I do not know them. A co-worker who is a close friend of mine asked me this morning if I saw this on the local news. Then this afternoon my hairdresser asked me about it. (they all know we are in the process of adoption). I did not see it last night. I was already asleep. I tried to catch it on the news this evening, but no luck. So I went to the local tv station website. I don't think there is a problem with the yard sale itself, just the wording of "saving a child". I think they should have just come out and said, we would like to raise a child together, we are hoping to adopt an infant. Not save a child. They are asking for donations from local business and churches. In the local area, there a lot of small towns all around. They are very giving, so with all the publicity I'm sure they will do well on the yard sale and donations. We contacted the adoption agency mentioned in the article, prior to find Abrazo. We did not feel this agency was for us. I was surprised to see this article about the couple on the forum. Just thought I would add my opinion.

Tracey

• 2 months later...

In Georgia, something as simple as a lemonade sale is helping to fund the special needs adoption of one little girl by her foster family: When Life Gives You Lemons...