PIW Wish Lists & Great Baby Gift Ideas

Stork Central

How about a two-for-one? Here's a new topic, helpfully suggested by one of our newer Forumites: a site for general posting of innovative, useful or unique baby gift ideas, as well as  Parents-In-Waitings' wish lists, so that friends and family have a hint as to what to buy for baby showers and welcome-home presents... so here 'tis! Enjoy!

When our beautiful daughter came home with us, we lived in a 3 story home - there were a lot of cold nights wandering down the stairs to get a bottle and warm it.  We recieved a bottle-warmer/cooler combination that had a compartment to keep a bottle cold (using that refreezable blue ice) and a separate side to warm the bottle.  We could go in, stick the bottle in the warmer and it would be ready by the time we changed her diaper!  It made those 2 am feedings much easier on all of us!  

The only thing I didn't like was that it would only take a "regular" bottle, not the Avent which we were using - but all we did was have an Avent ready - when the formula was warm it only took a second to pour it into the Avent bottle.

We also had a diswasher basket for nipples, rings, and other small stuff.  It was so great we bought a second one - and we used them through the toddler years for the sippy cup tops and valves - in fact, we STILL use it sometimes for travel cup tops, corn cob handles.

DrMom

Well, one thing I hadn't taken into consideration when planning our "baby budget" (who am I kidding...budget is hardly even in my vocabulary when it comes to Kayleigh...anyway) was photography.  I had no idea how this can add up if you're doing them every month.

So - something I think that would be a unique and useful gift would be a gift certificate to a photo place (not sure if they even do these or not...I would think so).  The Picture People, JC Penney's, Sears, KiddieKandids (inside Babies R Us) are some of the ones that come to mind.  This would also be a pretty flexible option too because you could spend as much or as little as you'd like.

-Lisa

Guest CJsProudParents

To really treat someone coming home with a new baby, check out Twelve Times Blessed. It's a special service that sends out a beautiful parent/child gift package once a month for the first year. Some dear friends of ours signed us up, and it's been divine! (Plus, it has a nice connection to someone else who adopted through Abrazo, since the company was named after her latest bestseller.)

Our church takes a hot meal once a month to the people with the new babies at home.  (Well, it's not a hot meal actually.)  It's a complete dinner that can be frozen for later or cooked right away.  (Plus all the side dishes and the dessert.)  It wouldn't have to be a church thing though.  It could just be a nice gift for anybody, in your neighborhood or town.  Or if you knew some one who just adopted maybe you could give them a subscription to the "ADOPTIVE FAMILIES" magazine.  We get a lot of good info out of there, still.

Hi Dreamer,

I just wanted to 2nd that dinner thing.  One of my neighbors brought me a casserole, salad, & cookies one night about a couple of week after Kayleigh came home and I think that was by far, one of the most thoughtful and meaningful things...it was so extremely appreciated.  I was so surprised that she did that because we had only seen each other maybe 3 times (at Bunco) and it was just so touching so I agree - something like that would be a very special, very unique thing and very appreciated.

-Lisa

• 2 months later...
Guest CJsProudParents

How about a special baby quilt made up of patches from the birthfamily's clothing, or maybe from the childhood outfits of the adoptive parent/s? We had a beautiful handmade comforter when I was growing up, which featured swatches of my father's tie collection from his bachelor days, and as a little girl, I just found that fascinating. (It's still one of my favorite family heirlooms even today.)

• 6 months later...

I recommend that PIW buy a couple disposable cameras ahead of time, and stick them in their travel bag. That way, if you get "The Call" and in your excitement forget to pack your digital camera (or you do bring it but the battery dies while you are taking pictures, as usually happens to me!) you at least have something ready to go. Most photo developers have a box you can check to include a disc, so you can still share your photos on-line!

Just an idea!!

• 9 months later...

Here's a gift idea for parents-in-waiting: give them a airline gift certificate, good for (or towards) the purchase of airplane tickets, a big help for those who will be travelling to Texas at a moment's notice to pick up your new grandson or granddaughter (or niece or nephew.) Or perhaps you could rally the rest of the family to donate frequent flyer miles towards the cause. It's sure to be appreciated, and what a loving way of saying "we're right here beside you!"

Awesome idea! My brother, who works for FedEx and has travelled internationally a lot, gave us his miles to fly to San Antonio both for orientation and to be there when our son was born. He even upgraded us to first class to bring our son back home to Memphis...nothing but the best for his nephew! What a great uncle he was and continues to be! biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

We don't have any adoptions in the family right now but several babies and I'm plumb out of ideas for the holidays. Anybody have tips on creative presents for infants???

• 9 years later...

A friend of mine at work asked what type of shower they should get throw friends who are PIWs. I said a gift card one would be great. I never thought about gifting airline miles. That's a great idea! I will pass that along when I return back to work.