Try Skype!

pjl

We have friends that use Skype to have their 2 year old keep in touch with his grandparents. For those who don't know, it's freely downloadable software where you can use the camera on your computer (laptop, pad, whatever) and internet connection to have free video phone chats with anybody else connected in a similar way. They say their son really 'gets it', knows who he's talking to, and looks forward to the interaction. Our adopted son Alex is just 2 months old and we've used Skype to talk to my parents, and it went great! The quality isn't super great, but it's such a difference to talk while they can see our little man in our arms. We also 'skyped' on Christmas day when my brother's family and my uncle were visiting my parents. Perhaps too much of crowd on their end, but still it worked great. We're hoping to use this to keep my family more much in touch.

It's not completely trivial to set up, but it's pretty easy. (If my parents could do it, it's got to be pretty easy.) There are also other options out there for doing the same thing.

Our birthmom is local so we wouldn't need to use it for that, but it's possible that it might work for some others. Check it out!

We used Skype to introduce Joseph to my parents and Jim's mom while we were in Texas waiting for ICPC. It was wonderful! We called my mom virtually every day and Joseph really recognized her voice by the time we returned home a week later - amazing!

After following Jocelyn's story, I was hoping to be able to use it with our birthfamily, too, but unfortunately they do not have the resources to do it. I'm hopeful that one day in the future we'll be able to use it with them, too. I think it can really be a great bridge across the miles. It certainly has been for Jim's mom who lives 2000 miles away.

I agree that Skype is great for grandparents too. Scott's parents winter in Mesa, AZ each year and they enjoyed seeing Landon in action. Plus is it a nice way for the kids to see them so they stay familiar to them.

We use Skype with our families, and also with Luke's sister Sofia. Luke loves to watch her latest gymnastics flips and she likes to talk to him or watch him play. It's a great way to stay in touch. We've mentioned it to M so hopefully in the future that might be another way to stay in touch with her as well!

We use Skype to chat with our relatives in the UK. I love speaking with our nephews in London. We try to do it at least once or twice a month.

Kevin is trying to teach his parents how to do it but there has not been much joy. They would love to be able to see Alexander via the computer.

I think when they come this Spring for a visit, Kevin will show his Mom how to log-in, etc.

When I lived in Scotland, My Mom and I would do it almost every Sunday. It was so nice to see and speak with her at the same time.

I've never used Skype but have used FaceTime for the iPhone and it is so neat! Technology is truly amazing!!

Garrett's first mom does not have the tools to be able to Skype right now but maybe in the future.

• 3 months later...

I just have to "plug" Skype again especially after our experience last weekend. We Skype about one a month with Landon's birthmom Kayla and her mom Kim. But it's way less often with his birthfather's mom Gina, at maybe 3 times since he was born. Last weekend when we were in SA for orientation we spent Friday with Gina and Landon clung to us and didn't warm up to Gina right away. This is how he has been around new people the last few months. However, later that day we went to Kayla and Kim's house, and he was completely different and let them pick him up right away and even gave them hugs. I know that Skype is a big reason for this because their voices and faces were so familiar. I know not everyone has a computer or a camera to do this, but if you do I really recommend it.

Jocelyn,

I think you are quite right about Skype. We Skype with our nephews that live in London once or twice a month. Now that they met us in person last November when they came to meet Alexander, they get all excited when they see us on the TV (Proir to meeting us they were a little shy, they are almost 3 now). We Skype through our televisions so Oscar and Noah love when they see us and Alexander.

• 3 weeks later...

I Skype with my brother and his family who live over in Ireland. It's such a great way to be able to communicate with them. I love talking to my nephews that way and being able to see them while we talk. FaceTime is the Apple version if you have an iPod or Mac. It would be really wonderful to be able to use this technology with our BP if they have it available too. That would be great. I think my nephews enjoy seeing themselves on the video more than anything else. It's funny to see them making faces at the video just to giggle at themselves. So funny!

Kara,

What a wonderful way to connect and keep in touch with the first grandparents.

Must be the night for Skype :) We talked to Luke's sister Sofia and her mom. It is funny because Luke and Sofia mostly show each other toys and little things like that! The connection wasn't good tonight and the conversation got interrupted a few times. Luke got SO upset each time asking for her! Andrew even babbled to them and it was cute! It is a great way to keep in touch.

That is wonderful y'all were able to connect! I am glad that the Skype chat session went well.

What a great way to connect with birth families! So glad you were able to have a good talk with them.

We Skyped with Victor and Julie's bps for the first time today. It went SO well. The kids were much more engaged in the conversation and you could tell it meant alot to Stacey and David! Julie said her ABCs for them and Victor read them a book....even held the book so they could see the pics!

• Upvote 4

We Skyped with Victor and Julie's bps for the first time today. It went SO well. The kids were much more engaged in the conversation and you could tell it meant alot to Stacey and David! Julie said her ABCs for them and Victor read them a book....even held the book so they could see the pics!

That is SO cute! I am sure that meant to world to Stacey and David!!!

That is SO cute! I am sure that meant to world to Stacey and David!!!

That is wonderful! I think that it great that y'all were able to Skype today.

That is soooo great!!!

• 1 month later...

My sister is in the foreign service and we Skype with them all the time. I echo Jocelyn's thoughts that it makes better connections. We have a wonderful relationship with our niece who is now 5. I'm hoping that we match with a birthmom/ birthdad that have access to technology. I think that it will really help with having an open relationship.