A Birth Grandmother's Role

Thank you Leslie..

Here is something else that I've read and which has made me stop and ponder life's speed bumps and rollercoasters at times.

Though it is not always a race per se any of you/us may be in, the metaphor is the same for any situation in life where we find a challenge or at times struggles, be it a failed match, a birth mother dealing with the reality that their child’s family didn’t keep their promise of openness/communication, one’s health, or _____________ fill in the blank as it applies to you the reader of this.

The Race

Defeat! He lay there silently, a tear dropped from his eye,"
There's no sense running anymore- three strikes and I'm out- why try?"
The will to rise has disappeared, all hope had fled away,
so far behind, so error prone, closer all the way.

"I've lost, so what's the use," he thought "I'll live with my disgrace."
But then he thought about his dad who soon he'd have to face.
Get up, and echo sounded low, get up and take your place.
You were not meant for failure here, so get up and win the race.
With Borrowed will, "Get up!", It said, "You haven't lost at all,
for winning is not more than this, to rise each time you fall."

So he rose to win once more, and with new commitment he resolved to win
or lose, at least he wouldn't quit.
So far behind the others now, the most he'd ever been,
still he gave it all he had, and ran as though to win.
Three times he'd fallen stumbling, three times he rose again.
To far behind to hope to win, he still ran to the end.

They cheered the winning runner as he crossed.
First place, head high and proud and happy, no falling, no disgrace.
But when the fallen youngster crossed the line, last place,
the crowd gave him the greater cheer for finishing the race.
And even though he came in last, with head bow low, unproud.
You would have thought he won the race, to listen to the crowd.
And to his dad he sadly said, "I didn't do so well."
To me, you won, his father said, you rose each time you fell.

And now when things seem dark and hard and difficult to face,
the memory of that little boy helps me in my own race.
For all of life is like that race, with ups and downs and all.
And all you have to do to win is rise each time you fall.
"Quit! Give up you're beaten," they will shout in my face.
But another voice within me says, "Get up and win that race!"

Author Unknown

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just saw my first born baby girl off at the airport for her flight home..These times are always the hardest for me, you'd think after eleven plus years I'd be used to it, but I'm not. . Did enjoy having her here the last 4 1/2 days, listening to my girls laugh and talk late LATE into the nights was music to my ears. Gonna miss that..

Nice encouraging words..

Be transformed by the renewal of your mind,

that you may discern what is the will of God,

what is good and pleasing and perfect.

— Romans 12:2

What a blessed week... My grandbaby started kinder on Monday.. Can't believe it's that time already... My god-daughter started first grade, god-son started third grade and today my baby girl started her Junior Year at UTSA... My cup runeth over... Prayers that they all have a successful year of learning..

1379088903.jpg

I can't believe your sweet granddaughter is in Kindergarten already! Hope she has an amazing year!

• 2 weeks later...

These last two months have been busy... August brought my family 4 bdays and the start of school, all beautiful milestones..

This month we started off with more bdays and will finish with bdays, 4 more... My mom hit her 81st bday last week, and even though she has been dealing with a bad case of arthritis since Jan. she is doing well and not letting it keep her down.. She's a tough cookie, I want that strength when I grow up -_-..

Can't believe we are almost to Christmas again and the next three months are just as busy with more bdays and holidays.. I'm slacking this year, should be almost done with my x-mas shopping and I haven't even started, ugh!! Not sure where I took a detour, better get moving or I'll be behind the 8 ball..

I have been starting to feel the giant TEXAS size butterflies in the pit of my stomach.. Next month we will be hitting the exact dates/days my baby girl almost lost her life. Six years and the overwhelming memories/feelings are as strong as ever...... Every year since, on that anniv. we make it a point to do something fun.. this year I plan on taking both the 30 & 31 off of work and spend time with her and as a family, we are planning to have dinner on the Riverwalk on Halloween... BUT no matter what, EACH YEAR (and day) are also a REMINDER of HOW BLESSED and GRATEFUL WE ARE to still have not one but two fierce and strong fighting Warriors in our life, thanks be to GOD!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've decided to dress up (Halloween Style) for dinner on River.... Have part of my costume, head piece and eyelashes.. But better get moving on the dress or I'm in trouble.. :D

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else saw this on Good Morning America today... It's beautiful and brought tears to mine and Lala's eyes..

Thinking of all moms, from Expectant, FIRST MOMS, adoptive to ALL MOTHERs out there..

http://youtu.be/uyWADizqtHk

Happy Birthday Mari! Hope you are treated extra special today!! You are so kind and thoughtful of so many others. :D