Selecting the right family for your baby

kristal

Lisa here...I am so grateful for the opportunity to have continued relationships (on terms under which they are comfortable) with the birthmothers of our two children. I was adopted from Korea back when all adoptions were closed and think that Abrazo is helping to make this a better, more open and more honest process for everyone involved. 

• 1 year later...

I tried to hang on to the words each birth mother used when describing how they chose us as the adoptive parents for her child.  I wanted to keep that primary reason a keystone in our lives that would never, ever change, so that we would continue to be the people that we had conveyed ourselves as in our profile and during our first conversations.

Our first birth mother noted that we were close with our extended families.  She wanted her child to grow up around a great number of people who loved her and included her as their own - cousins, grandparents, and more.

Our second birth mother found it meaningful that we had already been living out an open adoption and had an ongoing, positive relationship with our oldest child's birth family.  She felt she could trust that we would also respect our open adoption commitment to her and her child's father.

Finally, they both commented on their sense of the Lord's speaking to their hearts and giving them peace about their decision.  

So, in our experience, the connection was based on family, love, relationship, and faith.  Not on our jobs, appearances, lavish adventure stories, or scrapbook theme.  Be assured and be confident that it is YOU as a person that matters, and your ultimate match will see you for who you are and not for what you have or how perfect your profile is.