New AP Grandparents

moorekid

Another year is coming to an end and I just needed to say what a wonderful year it has been. My sweet Abigail is fourteen month now and Shaun is 12 months. Watching these two beautiful children grow and learn has been such an experience for me that I now know what my reason for being is. When Abby puts her arms out to me to be hugged I just melt or when she cries because I'm leaving OH MY! I would encourage any knew grandparent out there to get involved on this wonderful Forum,to learn,share experiences, or even just to vent that would be fine to. I feel like this is my own personal thread which is kinda cool but I sure would like company and would like to share your granbabies journeys with you.

To everyone have a wonderful happy and healthy 2008

God Bless,

Gram Sharron

Happy New Year Gram Sharron... Abigail and Shaun (and your parents too)!!!!

Your love of life is contagious...please continue sharing with all of us!!!!

Karen

You're too kind thank you. It is my pleasure to be able to bost about my beautiful gandchildren and not have others be bored.

Hello Adoptive Grandparents!

My daughter, Brenda, says that I need to be part of this forum. She's usually right, so I'm going to try. It'll be slow but I'm looking forward to meeting and talking about our wonderful grandkids with other proud grandparents.

Amma Pine

Welcome Amma Pine!!!!!

See how easy it is...You are already a beloved grand(parent) forum member. Make yourself at home, posting anywhere, anytime!

And bragging about your precious grandchildren is a MUST. :D

Karen

p.s. Thanks Brenda!

I second that notion, Brenda! Welcome Amma Pine! We LOVE our grannies (and grandpas, too!) around here. :D

Welcome AmmaPine!!! It is so nice to have you on the forum!!!!

Hello Adoptive Grandparents! My daughter, Brenda, says that I need to be part of this forum. She's usually right, so I'm going to try. It'll be slow but I'm looking forward to meeting and talking about our wonderful grandkids with other proud grandparents.Amma Pine
OH WOW I am so excited!!!! Welcome Amma Pine it is so very nice to finally have a new grandparent or any grandparent on the Forum. Welcome,welcome, welcome. Please don't be affraid of the Forum we are so very friendly here there is still so much I don't know on how to get around but as long as I can read and watch the amazing things that go on here I'm happy. Unfortuanatly during th school year I don't get to post to much but come summer I'm here everyday. So please don't be a stranger and have a great time.Love to All ,Gram SharronProud Gram to Abigail and Shaun

Hello Granma Sharon.

Thanks for the kind welcome. You are so right about the friendliness of the forum and the Abrazo family. I am continually blown away by their kindness and generosity. I am wondering if you are a school teacher? I am working part-time as an administrative assistant for an insurance company. It keeps me up-to-date on the world, earns me a little extra money for the budget. I have a wonderful boss who wouldn't let me quit this past December like I intended to. I wanted more time to hang with my grandkids. So we worked a deal where my hours are more flexible and I can work from home 80% of the time. I love it!!!

Last week we (my husband, Joe AKA Papa and I ) went to Leyna's pre-school with her and her Mom. She is so proud that she "goes to school" and wanted us to see it. We go to things at her big brother's school and I think she wanted to share with us. It was so much fun! She gets so excited by all the different activities, especially the songs that have motions with them. She is so coordinated and remembers everything so easily. I am just amazed. One of our favorite pastimes is to sing songs together.

Last summer we went to a 50's Rock & Roll concert with the Fabulous Hubcaps. As soon as the music started, Chica (my pet name for Leyna) was running for the dance floor. She didn't care if anyone else came out or not (my kind of kid), whipped off her jacket and proceeded to "tear it up!" She was the hit of the group! Isn't it great to have grandkids?

Gotta go help give Guido (our dog) his bath. More later. Have a wonderful day!

Amma Pine

Don't stop now, Mom!! You're getting the hang of it. Before you know it, you will start getting some chili peppers under your avatar!! :D

Actually, we have nearly a dozen grandparents I know of lurking around the Forum, if we could just get Gary and Grand_D and GrandmaSue and ShanOrba and GrandpawBruce and GrandmaGrandma and some of the others posting here! (And if our current PIWs and all the other orientation grads would get their mamas and papas registered, you all could really get some seasoned parenting advice and mature humor and worldly wisdom flowing in these parts!!) :lol:

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to get in the habit of checking out the forum and posting a little something once a week. So here goes...My husband & I adopted our oldest son, Steve back in 1979. Steve was a nephew who's family disintegrated and needed a home. We initially took him in as a foster child. But as the months turned into years and it was obvious that his family wasn't going to pull it together, we asked him if he'd like to make it official. He was 11 when we got him and he came with a lot of baggage.

I just wonder if there had been a group like Abrazo for Joe and I to tap into, if things would have turned out differently. Right now Steve is estranged from us. He's had a lot of trouble with the law and he abandoned his 3 wonderful children about 4 years ago. It was liking watching what happened to him repeat itself. Luckily, his wife managed to keep it together and has since remarried. We try to be part of the kids lives as much as we can. We are happy because for the 1st time in 13 years, they live only 15 minutes away. They've lived as far away as MO and usually at least an hour away. But they are getting older (13, 11, 10) and busy with their own lives. With a new stepdad in the picture they are trying to adjust to another family and they have a stepsister that comes every other weekend. It's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Last weekend the 3 oldest and Brenda's kids all spent 3 days with us. They played together, watched movies together. I got Leyna to go to church with me. The thing I loved the most was sitting down at the dinner table together and just sharing that time. I love looking around and seeing all their faces smiling back at me.

Well, I should get off to bed. Goodnight and sweet dreams. AmmaPine

Leyna and Gabe had so much fun with their cousins and favorite Papa and Amma Pine! When we met to pick up the kids as soon as we pulled away, Leyna sighed a big sigh and said, "Awwww" and I said, "Do you miss Papa and Amma?" and she said very sadly (like she had lost her only puppy), "Yes." We have to call Amma and Papa everyday and she has to give them kisses on the phone. Very cute. They are so blessed to have such great grandparents and great cousins! :D

• 2 weeks later...
My husband & I adopted our oldest son, Steve back in 1979. Steve was a nephew who's family disintegrated and needed a home. We initially took him in as a foster child. But as the months turned into years and it was obvious that his family wasn't going to pull it together, we asked him if he'd like to make it official. He was 11 when we got him and he came with a lot of baggage.

I just wonder if there had been a group like Abrazo for Joe and I to tap into, if things would have turned out differently. Right now Steve is estranged from us. He's had a lot of trouble with the law and he abandoned his 3 wonderful children about 4 years ago. It was liking watching what happened to him repeat itself.

Oh, AmmaPine, big hugs to you! I just read this post of yours and I wanted to thank you for sharing so candidly. My heart goes out to your family, because we all have our prodigals, and I hope yours finds his way back home, one day. I'm thankful for the loving investment you and your husband have made in his life, without which he surely would have been even more lost than he now seems. Early childhood trauma and disrupted family bonding is extraordinarily difficult to overcome, for any parent or child, and even with the support of others. Yet, you gave Steve shelter from the storm, and a place to "check his bags" and call his own, and that surely made a greater difference than you (or maybe even he!) can possibly know. Thank you for consistently loving his children, even when he can't be there for them; your influence in their lives may help divert history from repeating itself yet again.

Hi Everyone, Elizabeth is so right can you imagine what support and words of wisdom all of us sesoned parents could give to the newbies? Not to mention grandparents are such special people they would love to have us on the Forum, so come on all you lurkers come out from under and enjoy this wonderful place. For those of you who don't know me I'm Gram Sharron I am the proud and very much in love Gram to adopted Abigail who is almost 16 months old and Shaun not adopted who is almost 14 months. These two children are my reason to exist and be the best person I can possible be in life. To have their unconditional love is so rewarding, and as my husband says he is so in love and Abigail has him so wrapped around that cute little finger of hers he just melts. To see Abby and Shaun together and know they are ours to love is the greatest feeling-nothing else like it in the world. OK enough of me. Come on out all you lurkers join the elite grandparents and share your love with us.

Gram Sharron