Stork Central

Nursery Notes

chilemom    0

Stephanie,

I was mostly kidding, but know that you will listen closely for God's word on this. I can't imagine being better equipped for a NICU baby than to have been through it twice and survived/thrived. We're really not ready for another one at our house, but I so love knowing that children are finding their forever families. And if you're not supposed to bring this one home, perhaps you are meant to stand in the gap until the right family is ready. I don't know if the law would allow you to be involved, if you're not the matched parent, but I believe you absolutely qualified to love this child to full health.

Just my take on a very weighty matter.

Our prayers will continue unabated.

Oh, and Stephanie, I think you're in Edinburg, too. So, if you want to meet some more Abrazo babies, just let me know.

Christina

Christina,

Thank you so much for your kind words! When I first read about this little one, I said to my husband, "If I found out that she was here in our town, I would definitely think it a sign that we should consider the situation!" And we would love to. However, we are only approved for adopting through the Promesa (special-needs/full AA) program, which is different from Abrazo's full-service program, and right now this little one's family is being sought through the latter. But we are definitely open! ;)

And ... I would love to meet more Abrazo babes! However, my husband and I have tentatively planned a delayed anniversary getaway for next weekend, now that we have grandparents to watch the kiddos! Actually, we want to get this in before my husband starts school the following week. But let me know next time and we'll definitely have to plan on it! :)

Stephanie

Stephanie, I know how you feel! There's just something about the thought of that little angel in the NICU all alone that makes me want to rescue her right away! We're not eligible to take such action right now, of course. But having been through the NICU experience, as hard as it was, I would do it again in a heartbeat now that I know the joy of bringing that precious life home. Hopefully someone will feel God's leading very soon.

Christina,

I PM'd you with my home info. Hope you will take us up on our offer.

Stephanie,

Are you already here in Edinburg?! Let me know. We need to get together.

chilemom    0

Stephanie, I know how you feel! There's just something about the thought of that little angel in the NICU all alone that makes me want to rescue her right away! We're not eligible to take such action right now, of course. But having been through the NICU experience, as hard as it was, I would do it again in a heartbeat now that I know the joy of bringing that precious life home. Hopefully someone will feel God's leading very soon.

And I absolutely love the new avatar picture of your little angel! What a precious blessing! :)

Claudia,

Yes, we just arrived on Wednesday and are in the midst of moving into our apartment on the campus of the language school. I will PM you soon with our info so we can get together sometime!

chilemom    0

Oh, I know it's the weekend and nothing will probably be posted until Monday at least, but I keep haunting this thread for news on the preemie BOG ... I told my husband that I won't rest easy until I know she's been united with her forever family. Every time we drive between McAllen and Edinburg (which is often right now!) I pass a hospital and think of her and pray that God will lead the nurses to give her extra-special attention and care ...

mlw    7

I am with you Stephanie. Those little ones have been in my heart and prayers!

Elaine    1

God,

PLEASE send these precious children their forever family and PLEASE help their forever families eyes be opened...let your WILL be crystal clear!!!!!!

Let these children be loved and nurtured not only by wonderful nurses but by the hands of their forever family!!!

Amen

hkingkong    10

I know I cannot feel rested until these little babes have homes. :(

Heather

ElizabethAnn    687

Would those of you with agency connections out of state please consider doing us a favor?

Call your homestudy worker this week and tell them about our little trio of angels in need of loving homes. Direct them to the Nursery News (http://abrazo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36&st=45, post#60). Ask them to call Angela (210/342-5683) if they know of any appropriate, home-studied families that might be available for any of these three situations.

We've made some calls, but we need your help! Because we know the Forum folk can do some amazing things when they put their minds (and hearts) to it! Thanks, y'all! ;)

chilemom    0

Would those of you with agency connections out of state please consider doing us a favor?

Call your homestudy worker this week and tell them about our little trio of angels in need of loving homes. Direct them to the Nursery News (http://abrazo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36&st=45, post#60). Ask them to call Angela (210/342-5683) if they know of any appropriate, home-studied families that might be available for any of these three situations.

We've made some calls, but we need your help! Because we know the Forum folk can do some amazing things when they put their minds (and hearts) to it! Thanks, y'all! ;)

Elizabeth,

I will see what I can do to get the word out! Is there any further word on organizing the touch care for the McAllen babe? Also, just curious to know how placement works in a situation like hers - is the time the a-family spends with her in the hospital considered part of the 6 (-18) month post-placement or does that not start until she comes home?

suebee    228

I have sent an e-mail to the agency we are working with in TN and will follow up with a phone call.

ElizabethAnn    687

Is there any further word on organizing the touch care for the McAllen babe? Also, just curious to know how placement works in a situation like hers - is the time the a-family spends with her in the hospital considered part of the 6 (-18) month post-placement or does that not start until she comes home?

Angela is going to be working on the contact visits for the baby, but right now, of course, her priority has been talking with prospective adoptive families and their caseworkers. In answer to your question, whether placement would occur in advance of the hospital discharge depends in part on the baby's progress and the adoptive family's insurance coverage, but given that the post-placement supervisory visits do have to take place in the family home with all family members present, the 6-18 month supervisory period would generally require that the baby be out of the hospital prior to the first quarterly visit.

chilemom    0

Angela is going to be working on the contact visits for the baby, but right now, of course, her priority has been talking with prospective adoptive families and their caseworkers. In answer to your question, whether placement would occur in advance of the hospital discharge depends in part on the baby's progress and the adoptive family's insurance coverage, but given that the post-placement supervisory visits do have to take place in the family home with all family members present, the 6-18 month supervisory period would generally require that the baby be out of the hospital prior to the first quarterly visit.

Thanks for clarifying, Elizabeth. That makes sense.

Call your homestudy worker this week and tell them about our little trio of angels in need of loving homes.

Elizabeth,

I was more than happy to email all of this information to our agency in Michigan. I hope that we will be able to find some families for these precious babies soon. :D

HeidiK    94

I'll send the info to the agency I work with in LA....and I have forwarded the information to some friends that I have who are waiting it out in Los Angeles...you never know!

Don&Andrea    0

Just sent the email!

Keeping these babes and their families-to-be in our prayers!

Susan    93

I just emailed our social worker too...keeping these little ones and their birthfamilies in our prayers!!

Thanks for all you do, Abrazo!

Susan

mwalker    25

Elizabeth,

I let Ellen know about this last week and forgot to tell you. Her office is in the Jewish Social Services building here, so she may have some connections to help on at least one of the cases. Meanwhile, all of them are in my prayers.

hkingkong    10

Already sent notice to my SW about these cases. I hope these babes find good families fast.

Heather

Already sent notice to my SW about these cases. I hope these babes find good families fast.

Heather

chilemom    0

Abrazo is blest to have several special cases entrusted to our care for which we need help in finding appropriate families. If you or someone you know might be interested in any of these opportunities, please contact Angela Martinez at 210/342-5683 (Note: completed/current homestudies are required for disclosure of further case detail.)

--------------

The Lord works in mysterious ways. This week, we received an email from a woman in Israel, regarding her family members in Houston, who are struggling to make plans for a baby who was very much wanted, but born with special needs for which they cannot provide; we assured them of our commitment to help, and now we are seeking a very special family for a two-month-old Anglo baby boy with Apert Syndrome. The birthfamily would like him to be with a loving, caring family (with kids or without) who are willing to be open, and if possible, they prefer an adoptive family of Jewish descent. This case is likely to qualify for state adoption subsidy.

--------------

A San Antonio birthmom of Cuban/African-American descent is seeking a wonderful home for her coming child, a baby boy due 8/28/06. The birthfather is Hispanic, and is in agreement with the adoption plan. They would prefer an interracial couple OR an adoptive family with a biracial child.

---------------

Good things come in small pacakages! Abrazo is in need of loving parents for a tiny baby girl, born 7/23/06, at 24 weeks gestation, weighing just 1 lb., 12 oz. She is Hispanic and her birthmother, who is Spanish-speaking, has already relinquished parental rights. Medicaid coverage is pending; termination of birthfather's rights is being sought through the courts since the conception occurred as a result of sexual assault. The baby did have an IVH (gr4) but is holding her own; the hospital would like an adoptive family to be there in the NICU with her providing TLC as soon as possible.

--------------

I just realized that over a week has already passed since this was posted ... And I would love to know if there is good news yet for any of the babies involved??

ElizabethAnn    687

Thanks for asking!

We have had no responses on behalf of the baby with Apert Syndrome, so the birthfamily is seeking help through other resources, as well, in their effort to get this child into a loving home.

The birthmom who is expecting the baby boy due in August has made a wonderful connection with a family who has adopted through Abrazo before, and she has asked to be matched with them.

The preemie in the Valley has had several interested families call to inquire; at present, we are waiting on paperwork and homestudies before setting up calls with the birthmother. Please keep this little girl in your prayers, y'all! She is holding her own, but has a long way to go before any plans will be made to discharge her from the hospital. (Thanks go out to the Abrazomoms who are visiting the baby periodically on the agency's behalf! The hospital reluctantly consented to let a couple of our alum with nursing backgrounds into the nursery for contact visits, so they are playing the role of "fairy godmothers" until this little angel has a family all her own to be there for her.)

Many thanks, also, to each of you who told your social workers, homestudy agencies or other interested parties about our need to find families for these very special cases! God bless you for helping look out for His littlest lambs!

hkingkong    10

Glad to hear there is some progress. I have been wondering about these little ones.

Heather

HeidiK    94

That's wonderful news...and I'll keep praying!

chilemom    0

I'm so glad that there is good news for at least two of the three cases. I hope to hear that these babies are with their forever families soon!