For our Jewish friends

With You is the source of life; in Your light do we see light.

Psalms 36:10

Chag Sameach, to all of our beloved Forum families (whether Jewish or Christian or other!)

A Hanukkah Toy Story

Make Your Own Dreidel

Baruch ata, Adonai Eloheinu, melech haolam, asher kideshanu bemitsvo tov, vetsivanu lehadlik neir shel Channukah.

A helpful reading, from the Stars of David website: On Adoption and Jewish Law.

Trace your Jewish roots: Jewish Geneology

See also One Jewish Family's Adoption Welcome Ceremony

Thanks for the links! I just found out that Brayden's great-grandfather was Jewish and so we hope to help him learn about this side of his heritage!

Heather :)

HAPPY HANUKKAH! :)

I was thinking about you two the other day and was wishing you both a Happy Hanukkah! Sorry I failed to email you that greeting.

I was talking with one of Lily's good friends (Gage - 6 years old) at a birthday dinner the other night as he is experiencing his second Hanukkah. His mother and father are not married and he has become closer with his dad, who is Jewish, over the past 2 years. Gage celebrates both Hanukkah (dad's side) and Christmas (mother's side). Gage gave us a nice Hebrew blessing before dinner. :)

So, to all those of the Jewish Faith, HAPPY HANUKKAH! :)

-Adam

• 4 months later...

Passover celebrates that glorious day
After the Lord passed over our first born,
Striking out in freedom on that dawn
So long ago, with God to lead the way.
Over 3,000 years have passed since that bright day:
Vicissitudes have died, and new ones born;
Each night of terror brings a brave new dawn,
Recalling us to our eternal way.

--©Nicholas Gordon

Wishing you and your family all the blessings of Passover!

May all in this community be blessed today and everyday

• 4 weeks later...

The New Face of Judaism

Interesting article ....I was excited to read this

• 8 months later...

A Jewish high court has issued an important ruling regarding adoption and conversion and the effects of one on the other: read it here.

• 2 months later...

Happy Passover to everyone. May you all be blessed with a sweet life and good health.

If you would like to know more: Passover 101

Heidi, What are your Passover traditions?

Heather :)

• 1 month later...

In Jerusalem yesterday, Rabbi Metzger urged the Pope Benedict to focus on righting the wrongs committed at the time of the Holocaust (see the entire story in The Jerusalem Post):

Metzger then asked the pope to act on the issue of lost Jewish refugees; children saved by Christians during the Holocaust who were never told by their adoptive parents that they were Jews.

"Your Holiness, as you know, during the Holocaust many parents deposited their children in trust with the various churches throughout Europe," he said. "To our sorrow, six million Jews did not return."

To learn more about this historic tragedy, see

Suddenly Goyish

Resources for Children of Holocaust Survivors

I've been following this story a little. Apparently the Pope went to Jerusalem to visit the Holocaust memorial. This was something that people speculated would be a problem for the Pope since he (like so many other German youth) served in Hitlers youth brigade. Many Jews have a problems with what appears to be a refusal to acknowledge them by the Catholic church. I'm just glad its getting sorted out! With a best friend who is Jewish, a son that is Catholic, and I'm non denominational I really do hope we can all start getting along.

• 4 months later...

To all my Forum Family - far and wide-

Best wishes to all for a Shanah tovah u'metukah - a good and sweet new year.

Amen

This is from the temple my aunt attends in Honolulu, and I thought it was a good message for all of us, regardless of our faith of origin...

"I know that I am a good person who will not become perfect in the next 10 days. As I consciously unburden my sins, I can say to God, "I am a better person than I was last year. And if You give me the chance, I'll be a better person next year than I was this year." By letting go of the burden of transgressions, I am more open to the joys that the holidays have to bring."

• 2 months later...

ANYONE ELSE GETTING EXCITED TO LIGHT THE LIGHTS ON FRIDAY NIGHT... I know two little boys that waiting waiting waiting.... :lol:

• 1 year later...

roshhashana.jpg

Just wanted to wish all our Jewish friends and families a joyous Rosh Hashanah!

(And for all those among us who are not familiar with this holiday: learn more here!)

To really celebrate in style, try making this Rosh Hashanah Honey Cake!

• Upvote 1

Bring on the sweet life - Thanks for the kind wishes!

A remarkable story of one congregation's thoughtful focus on infertility during their Rosh Hashanah celebration: click here

Thank you for sharing....I needed to hear this today. I just got back from a Walk to Emmaus retreat and was really moved by this article.