ORIENTATION

Stork Central

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dnr1021

Hello.  This is my first post, well actually my first post to any forum would be correct.  I normally don't post, just read; but was touched by each and every message - I found myself grabbing the box of tissues and registering to be a part of this wonderful forum.  My husband and I both suffer from infertility.  He was diagnosed at the beginning and mine did not show up until a round of IVF.  We knew from the very beginning of our fertility treatments if they did not work, we would adopt. So after the last treatment – a failed IVF,  we contacted a local agency.  They only place three to five babies a year.  We were a little discouraged, but were given different options by our home study associate.  It was ironic when she said Abrazo because a co worker of mine has adopted two children within a two year span with Abrazo.  I immediately found the website and started reading.  A warm feeling came over me when I read medically document infertility was one of the main criteria for working with Abrazo.  This was wonderful. An agency which understood our needs and wanted to help.   Then to read further on, the orientation weekend was exactly what my husband and I had wanted to do.  A class or workshop to better prepare us for our journey ahead.  And to be among others who have been through similar if not the same situations as we had, was just too good to be true.  I called Abrazo and spoke to a very helpful young lady, I beleive her name was Kelly.  I was so excited and nervous, I forgot to write down her name.  She told us of the upcoming orientation weekend in March and, if approved, would we be able to attend.  I was beside myself with joy.  My husband could hardly contain himself.  I submitted the inquiring application last week.  I was wondering, if approved, how would we be contacted?  I am so excited to begin our journey.  We are in the middle of our home study and finishing our dear birthparent letter/profile.  Thank you so much for letting me post such a lengthy letter.  God bless to all.

WELCOME drn to the parents of tomorrow and Abrazo Forum.  You are among friends and surrounded by many who have been exactly where you are now.  I am so very excited for you and your husband.  You have made the wisest choice to enlist the help of the Abrazo Angels to help you realize your dream of becoming parents.  Kelly is the beautiful individual that I worked with and she is the very person who brought my son and I together.  My son was a baby on the ground and from start to finish, my process took only a little over four months.  My son and I attended a portion of the orientation weekend together, which was really special.  You are in for the journey of a lifetime and you will meet and grow to love so many special people both at the agency and within your orientation group.  Please keep us posted and may your wait and experience be as joyous and fast as mine was!  God Bless you on your journey!

Hi dnr...welcome, welcome, welcome!!!  I'm so glad you found us!!!

Abrazo contacted us by phone to tell us we were invited to attend the orientation (we went to the 8/02 Orientation - Kayleigh was born 12/5/02 and we brought her home to Seattle, WA on 12/24/02).  The phone call was followed up with a formal invitation (which provided details of the costs, hotel info on where to stay, exact dates, times, and all kinds of other helpful information).  

I can say so many wonderful, wonderful things about Abrazo but for a parent-in-waiting - I can say (and I think you'll be happy to hear) that Abrazo isn't the kind of place to let a lot of grass grow under their feet.  They move quick around there - and I don't think you'll be waiting too long to find out if you need to start making plans for a fun-filled and emotional and full-filling weekend in March.

Wishing you and your husband alllll the best on your journey!!  Feel free to post away if you think of any other questions - you're with a great group of friends here - who have been in your shoes and there is always someone here who has been through something you're likely to come across during your journey to meet your child...and all too happy to offer a shoulder for support or an ear for listening...

Lisa!  :D

Thank you so much for you responses.  My husband and I both sit here with tears in our eyes realizing our dreams of becoming parents are in the not to distant future.  It was extremely reassuring to hear the quickness of Abrazo;  "not letting grass grow under their feet".  I love those words.  We will await the phone call and the beginning of the journey/family which God has brought us to, along with the new friends we will meet along the way.

Rhonda  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dnr1021

Hello.

Just wanted to followup to our postings from middle February.  Everyone has been so helpful.  And to refer to a previous posting of Abrazo "not letting grass grow under their feet". . . how true that saying is.  In the past 2 weeks, we have submitted our pre-inquiry application, received acceptance to Orientation weekend, finished our full application/submitted it, and will be attending Orientation this Friday/Saturday.  Out homestudy should be complete by the end of March.  I just couldn't believe it.  I spoke with Angela Wednesday, received the full application on a Friday, and a follow up phone call on Tuesday to see if we had any questions.  That really meant alot to my husband and me.  These days, receiving follow up phone calls without asking is just hardly heard of anymore.  It felt so wonderful.  We could feel Angela/Abrazo geniunely cares about us.  We are very excited about the weekend/meeting of new friends, and will let everyone know how it went.  Thank you for letting us share this wonderful moment.  We are so excited and filled with joy right now, we can only just imagine how we will feel when we get The Call.

God bless!

Rhonda :D

Rhonda,

Enjoy this weekend! I had so much fun at our orientation. I am not ready to adopt again, but I am jealous of everyone that attends a Parent's of Tomorrow weekend. You will have loads of fun and meet lots of new people that are in the same boat as you and your husband.

Have a great time and keep us posted!!!!

Melissa

Hello to all.

We just got back from Orientation weekend and what a wonderful, heart opening experience.  We met so many wonderful couples with stories like our own, but each was unique in it's own way.  We are officially Parent's In Waiting, soon to be Parents of Tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone for their support and responses as my husband and I were beginning the process; only four short week's ago.

Lisa,

A special thanks to you.  What a wonderful surprise to meet you and hear your story in person.  Thank you for taking time out of your day, to come and speak with us.  Kayleigh is absolutely precious and such a sweet little girl.  Your face just glows when you look at your daughter.  Thanks again for sharing your experience.  It was so good to meet you and put a name with a face.

Rhonda :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stork Central,  

Which orientations are for "againers"?  Do you have any limitations besides finalization on when an againer can start the process again?

Thanks,

Kim

Orientation Weekends:

May 14-15, 2004

July 16-17, 2004

September 17-18, 2004

November 5-6, 2004

Hi, Kim! Abrazo's orientations are fillled on the basis of agency resource needs, meaning that the space for each weekend is assigned according to projected placement availabilities. This is generally reviewed about 4-6 weeks prior to each scheduled event. (At present, May orientation is open to a very limited number of againers, so space is filling fast.) Priority is given to those againers who are accepting of racial diversity, have demonstrated commitment to fully open adoption terms, willingness to consider special needs children or noninfants, etc. Againers from within Abrazo's program are not required to submit the inquiry (or "preapplication") again but must have a new application on file with the agency before being eligible for consideration for re-entry into orientation.

For answers to more specific questions, feel free to call our fabulous Family Services Coordinator, Angela Martinez, M.S.W. at 210/342-LOVE.  :)

• 5 months later...

rolleyes.gif My husband and I have just started looking into Abrazo and have been searching the Forum for information on the orientation weekend. Since you all had to attend can anyone tell us what it's like. We are from Michigan and are kind of curious about the happenings at orientation.

Thanks,

Brenda, Mike and Gabe

Orientation weekend is a whirlwind of a weekend! It starts on Friday evening and runs late Friday night. Back up early on Saturday and a full day Saturday, then Sunday you are on your own. They fill you in on open adoptions, making them work, how the agency works, finances, and my personal favorite part was the panel of birth and adoptive parents. Just about any question you have will be covered. By the time you get home you don't even remember half of what they told you. You just leave knowing that you better start getting ready for that baby to come home.

We attended orientation in Jan 04 (the Fab 9) and our baby was home in April!! It can happen even faster or take longer depending on lots of factors... just know that you have to be prepared once you leave smile.gif

They will tell you "Its not if but when"

tongue.gif Thanks for the information. We are excited about the weekend and hope to attend their November orientation.

Orientation is a wonderful opportunity to meet and bond with other individuals that have the dream of parenthood, too. I have to admit I wondered if I'd feel like they were competition, but actually the opposite was true. You really do root for everyone in your group, help each other over rough spots, waits, disappointments, and celebrate the joys together. Some groups are closer than others, but all have a connection. You will walk away from the orientation with a whole new resolve and perspective that you may not have had prior to the weekend. You will hear this often, "It's not if, but when".......and with Abrazo, the when often comes very quickly. In my case, I got to be on the panel to speak to the orientation group I was supposed to attend because my precious son actually came home before my scheduled weekend!!!! A miracle like that can happen, too. Be excited! Be prepared to have a blast! Be prepared to think and examine your deepest fears and best case scenerios. Be prepared to laugh, smile, hug, cry, and absorb all that the Abrazo team has in store for you. Once you've attended, you'll never be the same! And that's a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Orientation weekend was a major step in our journey. It is most certainly a whirlwind! It provides the opportunity to meet others in your group and when you hear some of the stories and all of the fears and dreams you really begin to realize that everything that has come before was not isolated to you. Better than that you begin to understand that as you move forward you are not doing it alone.

It was a great experience and we were very glad that Abrazo requires everyone to attend. Our decision to work with Abrazo was made at San Antonio airport on our way home and we have never looked back.

We attended the January 2004 (Fab 9) orientation and brought our son home on March 24th. Our lives will never be the same and we would not have it any other way! We are so blessed!

If we had to pick just two things that we took away from orientation it would be a deeper and greater understanding and appreciation for open adoption and the phrase that we repeated daily after leaving San Antonio - "it's not if but when".

Best of luck with your journey!

The biggest thing we took home from orientation weekend is being able to see adoption through the eyes of birthparents. It helped put it all in perspective, it was not all about our loss (infertility), there is such a bigger picture. Knowing how a birthparent feels is invaluable when you are ready to take birthparent calls.

Also something I never thought about at the time; not only do you find out everything about Abrazo and how great they are; they really get to know you and how great you are; which is so important when there is a b.o.g. You will find out at orientation what that means.

Karen

Hi Brenda, Mike, & Gabe!

Welcome to the Forum and Abrazo.

My husband & I attended Abrazo's 8/02 Orientation and our daughter Kayleigh was born 12/5/02 (hard to believe it's already been nearly 2 years since she was born!)

One of the couples from our Orientation are also from Michigan - their daughter was born shortly after Kayleigh was born (they are now the proud parents of another daughter! I can't remember when they attended their 2nd Orientation but seems like the 2 little girls are about a year apart (and adorable - we got to see them again at Camp Abrazo in July and introduce our daughters to each other).

It's really hard to describe Orientation - you really develop such a bond with the other couples in Orientation - I think everyone would agree with that - you all have your own personal stories of what brought you to where you are today and it's just such a special feeling to know that those 6 or 8 or 9 other couples in there actually know somewhat what that journey has been like - our Orientation group bonded quite a bit - some of us more than others but overall, I felt so close to everyone when we left and wished so much that we were neighbors or something so we could get together more often. We don't keep in touch quite as much as we all thought we would but that bond is still there and it's always so exciting to get letters, cards, emails, updates etc from our friends from Orientation (another couple from our 8/02 Orientation has already gone to another Orientation and are just waiting on their 2nd child as well). So...that's one aspect of it - just bonding and becoming quite close to these people you're spending pretty much 2 full days with in a room together.

Someone else mentioned either here or elsewhere that another aspect of Orientation is the bonding you do with the Abrazo staff (which I think consists of 4 people now - maybe 5). You will be in so much contact with them once you leave Orientation - Angela handles everything related to Adoptive Parents so you'll be talking to her quite a bit (she's likely going to be the person who calls you when there's a birthmother who has seen your profile and would like you to call her), Pamela is the person who handles all things related to birthparents so you may not have quite as much contact with her but she will be the primary contact for this person who is about to become a very important part of your life so in an indirect way, you'll feel a connection to her - I'm not sure who is handling the financial side of things (your escrow account, statements, etc) - when I was there, it was Kelly but she's now married and focusing on important things like that so she's no longer working but good grief - she was probably one of the people I was in contact with the most - especially after Kayleigh was born. Anyway - if you didn't get that chance to know them so well (like you do at Orientation) and for them to get to know you (so you're not just a name to them when you're talking and communicating back and forth - I don't know - to me, that would just seem so weird - you develop a relationship with them and it becomes much more personalized this way. And you learn so much about how they do things and they share with you past experiences they've had - you have time to ask lots of questions (so come prepared if you've got a lot of stuff you're wondering about because this is probably the best time to get your questions answered).

It's just so hard to describe how much of a positive impact Orientation has on your adoption experience with Abrazo - I think many people, (myself included) were kind of thinking - "oh my gosh, just one more hoop to go through ,huh?" but it's totally, totally not like that - you walk away from there (or at least myself and my husband did) thinking what a genuis idea it was of the person who started these things (which I think it was Elizabeth's idea - she's the Exec Director of the agency and truly is the most amazing person I've ever met in my life!) and it actually is done to benefit you and ultimately, the baby/child you bring home.

I searched the forum for some other topics that talked about Orientations and am going to put the links for them here - you may have already seen these but just in case...here they are (by the way, my husband and I live in Seattle, WA so we're not in Texas either). Best wishes to y'all and I hope you'll soon be saying that famous Abrazo mantra (that gets drilled into your head at Orientation - "It's not If, But When!")

Orientation Topic #1

Orientation Topic #2 (Which/When Orientation Were you in?)

And just for fun, here are Paco & Millie's posts about their daughters (they're the couple from our Orientation who are also from Michigan)

Paco & Millie's Baby #1

Paco & Millie's Baby #2 biggrin.gif

smile.gif Thank you so much for all the info everyone. It's so nice hearing from those that have been there before so that we know what to expect. We are planning on attending the November orientation and hope for the quick results you all had. It really is nice having this forum and getting to know people that are in the same boat as you. Thanks again,

Brenda, Mike and Gabe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stork Central,

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere....just wondering if there are any thoughts yet on when Orientation weekends will be held for 2005? Even just an idea of which months y'all are looking at would be mucho helpful!!

Thanks!

Lisa

• 5 months later...

As I am moving clothes around, ya know moving winter & summer things, I was wondering what the dress code is like for the orientation weekend. Since we will be flying in & only in San Antonio for the orientation, Tim & I have decided to each pack a carry on only. So our clothing will be limited.

Any hints??? I would think casual for Saturdays day long orientation. But just wondering..........

Thanks for any hints.

Pack casual and comfortable. I wore jeans on Friday night and kahakis (sp?) on Saturday. Most everyone wore jeans. We went to orientation in March so the weather was still kinda cool - not sure what it will be like in May - but I guess that doesn't matter too much since you will be in the air conditioned meeting room. Don't worry about it too much, just make sure you are comfortable.

Enjoy the weekend. It truly is a fountain of information. I guarantee you will meet some wonderful people smile.gifsmile.gif

Mary

Oh just a side note Friday night can go pretty late - I think we wrapped it up around 11:00 (which was midnight for us because we are from Michigan) - I just wanted to tell you because I wish I had known.

I would pack for comfort. Keep in mind the weather will be warm. I am talking anywhere from 80's-90's. Friday night is a late night but it really gives you the chance to meet everyone. You will walk away from the weekend with alot more understanding of adoption as well as a better understanding of how Abrazo works. You will be amazed how friendly and welcoming the staff of Abrazo really is. You will walk away from the weekend feelling like your family has grown!!!

Best of Luck!!

Angie

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are filling our our application and our orientation registration. I hate to sound like a goof ball, but I was wondering when an orientation says childless only....does that mean having no children at all or no children that will be coming to orientation?

Thanks!